xxjoeyxxeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta & Ford Edge
Hi All,

I have been starting to look into purchasing a 2016-2018 Mustang GT. Is there any easy identifier via the VIN, or another label sticker somewhere on the vehicles that ID what package the car has? I want to make sure I study up to ensure I don't go to a dealer and purchase a base GT where someone put the Performance Package wheels on or anything else to make it look like a better package. I remember back in high school a dealer was trying to sell me a GT, but I stated I'd rather have a Cobra, and he said just buy the rims... I am going to start printing out the brochures to study for now.

Thank you,
Joe
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The one thing that easily identifies a performance package car is the extra two gauges in the center stack above the radio. They can be added after the fact but it is more than just throwing parts at it. I honestly can't see a dealer doing that just to make a sale. Both the ecoboost and GT have the extra gauges on the PP cars. Non PP cars just have three A/C vents above the radio. Also look at the front brakes, GT's have six piston calipers with a brembo label on them and 15" rotors, ecoboost model with the PP have 4 piston calipers with 14" rotors (which are the standard non PP GT front brakes) regular eco's have dinky 12.6" front rotors. Beware because anyone can buy the PP brake kit for about 1300 new and bolt it on to a standard GT or eco and throw on a set of PP wheels.

If you find a car you are not sure about, get the vin # and jump online and get a copy of the window sticker, that will tell you what it has. The vin itself does not tell what the car has for options and such, just the body type, (coupe or convertible), engine, and trans type are in the vin along with the sequential serial #

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I agree with I Bleed Ford Blue. The gauges is a good way to check. Basically there are a few things on the GT performance pack that you can look for.

1. Rear Spoiler
  2. Brembo Six Piston Calipers
  3. PP Wheels
  4. Silver Strut Tower Brace, should say GT (In the engine bay)
  5. K-Brace (In the engine bay)
  6. Gauges

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Have a Ford dealer pull the original window sticker based on the VIN if you are in doubt. Most Ford dealers will have the original sticker available for you on all used Fords these days. If not ask. If you are not buying from a Ford dealer, you can always stop by one with the VIN and have them print you one even if it costs a few bucks.

Websearch engines are your friend...there are tons of options to do this through a simple search rather than depend on others to do this for you.

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
Most sites show the window sticker, especially dealer sites. Get comfortable with reading those as it's the quickest way to see if it has everything you want rather than a copy pasted description by someone that has never sat in the Mustang they're selling.

My first test drive was a 16 GT premium (auto) that had PP gauges installed in the middle(not available from factory) and they didn't work. Sales rep thought they were working fine even tho the needle didn't move off its resting point. Looking back at it I'm happy I didn't even consider that one as I'm sure I would've found some other weird "mods".

Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I agree with I Bleed Ford Blue. The gauges is a good way to check. Basically there are a few things on the GT performance pack that you can look for.

1. Rear Spoiler
  2. Brembo Six Piston Calipers
  3. PP Wheels
  4. Silver Strut Tower Brace, should say GT (In the engine bay)
  5. K-Brace (In the engine bay)
  6. Gauges
The PP deletes the rear spoiler, and it also has a 3.73 diff which will be identifiable by simply looking at it from the bottom rear because they have a sticker on them. There are also codes on the door jamb sticker under the VIN that tell you what the car came with.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The one thing that easily identifies a performance package car is the extra two gauges in the center stack above the radio. They can be added after the fact but it is more than just throwing parts at it. I honestly can't see a dealer doing that just to make a sale. Both the ecoboost and GT have the extra gauges on the PP cars. Non PP cars just have three A/C vents above the radio.
EU based PP cars have three A/C vents and no gauges so that's not true.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well here in the states we can get a non pp car so it's true here. And the OP is here also so it would true for him too.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
The PP deletes the rear spoiler, and it also has a 3.73 diff which will be identifiable by simply looking at it from the bottom rear because they have a sticker on them. There are also codes on the door jamb sticker under the VIN that tell you what the car came with.
That's not true from my understanding. Maybe it depends on the year. The spoiler delete is an option. Otherwise it will come with the pedestal one.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mostly 15-17's got the spoiler delete. My guess is a lot of buyers complained so in 18 they started to leave it on. If you look in the brochure for 15-17's it states right in there that the spoiler delete is part of the PP, you either put one on yourself or buy a non PP car.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Mostly 15-17's got the spoiler delete. My guess is a lot of buyers complained so in 18 they started to leave it on. If you look in the brochure for 15-17's it states right in there that the spoiler delete is part of the PP, you either put one on yourself or buy a non PP car.
Nice to learn something! Thanks for sharing.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The PP deletes the rear spoiler, and it also has a 3.73 diff
Partially true, PP car with an automatic got 3.55's only the manual PP cars have 3.73's

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The one thing that easily identifies a performance package car is the extra two gauges in the center stack above the radio. They can be added after the fact but it is more than just throwing parts at it. I honestly can't see a dealer doing that just to make a sale. Both the ecoboost and GT have the extra gauges on the PP cars. Non PP cars just have three A/C vents above the radio. Also look at the front brakes, GT's have six piston calipers with a brembo label on them and 15" rotors, ecoboost model with the PP have 4 piston calipers with 14" rotors (which are the standard non PP GT front brakes) regular eco's have dinky 12.6" front rotors. Beware because anyone can buy the PP brake kit for about 1300 new and bolt it on to a standard GT or eco and throw on a set of PP wheels.

If you find a car you are not sure about, get the vin # and jump online and get a copy of the window sticker, that will tell you what it has. The vin itself does not tell what the car has for options and such, just the body type, (coupe or convertible), engine, and trans type are in the vin along with the sequential serial #
Yes, beware...You might actually find a car that's equipped better than a PP..............Or worse. Lots of factory Ford Performance dealer upgrade cars.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's not true from my understanding. Maybe it depends on the year. The spoiler delete is an option. Otherwise it will come with the pedestal one.
He said he was looking for 2016-2018. No 2015-2016 PP came with a spoiler. Spoiler Delete was part of the package. For 2018, it was not uncommon for people to order PP and specify spoiler delete. So, a missing spoiler is no indication an S550 is NOT a Performance Package.
Sponsored