Sponsored

Aero Setups for Dual Purpose Cars

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Looking for recommendations on Aero setups for a 2016 PP GT for light duty road course work. The car is as the title states a dual purpose car and will see occasional track, but is mostly a street car. I'm not looking for an ultra high down force setup with lots of drag, so I was thinking front splitter paired with a functional rear spoiler instead of a wing. I typically use all of 3rd and 4th gear, some times ringing out 5th for a bit as well, so there's plenty of high speed use where Aero would be beneficial to add grip without trying to go the route of using wider tires to increase mechanical grip (far more expensive to switch as I already have a lightweight tire / wheel setup).

Spoilers reduce lift on the rear of the car and also drag while wings add drag but offer actual down force. Two different mechanisms: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-spoilers-youre-probably-doing-it-wrong-1665312667

Does anyone have any experience with something like this: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6344210A/w...50-2015-2019?gclid=CK7l55uH3-ICFYe8wAodsqEITw

I know Ford Performance also sells the GT350 Track Pack Spoiler: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-44210GT350/mustang-ford-accessories-gt350-track-pack-spoiler-1516

And also the regular Performance Pack GT spoiler: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6344210AB/mustang-performance-pack-rear-spoiler-15-19

I believe both are functional spoilers. I was thinking the best balance might be a splitter extension paired with the Performance Pack GT spoiler.

Suspension Mods:
1. Steeda Roll Center and Bump Steer
2. Steeda High Durometer Tension Link
3. MM Caster / Camber Plates
4. FP Toe Link Spherical Bearings
5. BMR CB010 + Steeda Sub-frame Alignment Inserts
6. BMR SP083 Springs (250/980) + FP Track Dampers
7. RTR Tech 7 19x9.5 wheels on Pilot Sport 4S tires, four square setup

This is on a 2016 Performance Package GT. It's primarily a street car, but sees a few track days each year (2-3), so keep in mind I don't want anything super racy, just enough a give me a little more planted feel. I really like how the car takes high speed sweepers with a little extra weight (passengers), it just feels more glued to the road because of the traction. However it's obviously I'd be faster by using aero than adding hundreds of lbs of passengers (slower braking, slower transitions, slower acceleration etc.)...

I'm going to use the TrueFiber LG258 splitter extension with some support rods. I prefer that over the popular Steeda and APR solutions because it does NOT cover the belly pan and wipe out my OE brake ducting. It's a silhouette style instead of a plane style which is mostly for cost savings of manufacture. None of the OE splitters are designed like those, so yah I'm willing to pay double for the better design: https://trufiber.com/shop/mustang-carbon-fiber-front-splitter-2/

Aero is a tricky thing, so looking for feedback on good dual purpose setups that add some function without being high drag like a full race wing (also not wanting to look boy racer either). No need for it on a DP car.
Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I dont think you want the 2018 performance pack spoiler, as I believe it's supposed to be aerodynamically neutral. out of the things that you posted so far I would say the wicker bill would be best for dual purpose, as you could remove the center portion for reduce downforce while not doing autocross or racing. I would think that the gt350r rear spoiler would be a good option as Ford engineered it for RaceTrac purposes.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I did the GT350 track pack spoiler and APR front splitter with a similar goal as you. I haven't taken it to the track yet. Definitely has more planted feel.

Edit: actually not sure but I think I notice a difference. It could just be placebo/new mod effect.

Last edited:

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Do you think you are getting the most out of the car as is without aero? I'm in a similar situation, where a little aero would probably benefit me at certain parts of the track. But I'm not going to waste my money on aero before I absolutely need it. ie: racing/competition. Especially because most functional aero is not cheap!

I'd rather save my money and spend it on more track days/tires/etc.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with splitters on our cars. I know one guy who put the ZL1Addons splitter on his 2018 and it stuck out far enough to create enough down force to actually pull and stretch his bumper. There are actual stretch marks and cracks in his bumper under the headlights now. Real splitters should be chassis mounted, not fastened to the bottom of the bumper (like almost all aftermarket splitters on the market for our cars.)

Good example, lots of companies have support rods that connect to the plastic bumper. This doesn't do much as the whole bumper is still being pulled on. If you look at the FP350S race car, it has splitter support rods but they go through the lower grille and look to attach to the actual steel crash bar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I think one of the most overlooked aero opportunities is hood louvers/vents. There is A LOT of trapped air under the hood that creates loads of lift. All that air coming in the front through the radiator has to go somewhere, best to make it leave out the top and get rid of all that lift. And it'll improve your radiator's cooling efficiency by giving it better flow.

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prermium A10, PP1, Magneride, 401A, B&O
I did the GT350 track pack spoiler and APR front splitter with a similar goal as you. I haven't taken it to the track yet. Definitely has more planted feel.

Edit: actually not sure but I think I notice a difference. It could just be placebo/new mod effect.
Pictures?

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Spoilers & wings both add negative lift (if it's enough to counter total lift, it = Downforce) AND drag. Wings tend to have better lift:drag ratios.

LMR spoiler probably will make the most Downforce, then GT350 spoiler, and the PP wing is neutral (no lift or Downforce). Either of the above are fine with nothing on the front, although you will probably benefit from adding a little Downforce if using the LMR spoiler.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Spoilers & wings both add negative lift (if it's enough to counter total lift, it = Downforce) AND drag. Wings tend to have better lift:drag ratios.

LMR spoiler probably will make the most Downforce, then GT350 spoiler, and the PP wing is neutral (no lift or Downforce). Either of the above are fine with nothing on the front, although you will probably benefit from adding a little Downforce if using the LMR spoiler.
What about the R spoiler, doesn't that one create downforce?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Be careful with splitters on our cars. I know one guy who put the ZL1Addons splitter on his 2018 and it stuck out far enough to create enough down force to actually pull and stretch his bumper. There are actual stretch marks and cracks in his bumper under the headlights now. Real splitters should be chassis mounted, not fastened to the bottom of the bumper (like almost all aftermarket splitters on the market for our cars.)

Good example, lots of companies have support rods that connect to the plastic bumper. This doesn't do much as the whole bumper is still being pulled on. If you look at the FP350S race car, it has splitter support rods but they go through the lower grille and look to attach to the actual steel crash bar.
I believe it. And actually I didn't realize this when I bought it - but for the APR splitter you are supposed to remove the belly pan as well. So I am going to do that and mount it to the chassis. I'll update with pics when finished.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Well, actually I've decided to take the APR splitter off the car. After seeing what it can do and knowing how it needs to be mounted, it's more trouble than it is worth.

To anyone who is thinking about buying this - you must take off the stock undertray/belly pan for it to fit properly. It needs to be mounted to the chassis or metal structural support. No mounting to any plastic or body trim. The lip of the splitter is also supposed to be completely flat as in parallel to the ground.

This part is not to be trifled with unless you are used to doing custom work. The instructions that are provided are not correct and there is no template provided. The splitter is totally functional and if mounted incorrectly and you go fast enough, you can rip the splitter off and possibly take the bumper with it. It happened to another dude on this forum. Anyway I hope this helps somebody not to be like me and think it's an easy install and just follow the instructions, nope.

Edit: Well I may have spoken too soon. I am going to try to make it work. I think mine isn't fitting right because I have the belly pan on there and I need to move some of the mounting bolts around to make it flat. Going to remove it this weekend and see what I am working with. If I can get it fitting nice and flat and anchored to some structural parts on the car I will be good.

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Well, actually I've decided to take the APR splitter off the car. After seeing what it can do and knowing how it needs to be mounted, it's more trouble than it is worth.

To anyone who is thinking about buying this - you must take off the stock undertray/belly pan for it to fit properly. It needs to be mounted to the chassis or metal structural support. No mounting to any plastic or body trim. The lip of the splitter is also supposed to be completely flat as in parallel to the ground.

This part is not to be trifled with unless you are used to doing custom work. The instructions that are provided are not correct and there is no template provided. The splitter is totally functional and if mounted incorrectly and you go fast enough, you can rip the splitter off and possibly take the bumper with it. It happened to another dude on this forum. Anyway I hope this helps somebody not to be like me and think it's an easy install and just follow the instructions, nope.

Edit: Well I may have spoken too soon. I am going to try to make it work. I think mine isn't fitting right because I have the belly pan on there and I need to move some of the mounting bolts around to make it flat. Going to remove it this weekend and see what I am working with. If I can get it fitting nice and flat and anchored to some structural parts on the car I will be good.
Post pics when you can.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

So does it replace the belly pan? Also are you mounting the rods to the bumper support as well? I really like the apr splitter but I'm also in the camp of it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So does it replace the belly pan? Also are you mounting the rods to the bumper support as well? I really like the apr splitter but I'm also in the camp of it might be more trouble than it's worth.
It would, yes. But that's what I am trying to figure out. Also, I am getting the impression from APR that this is meant more for road course/circuit racing where extremely high speeds are limited. It may not be meant for sustained, top speed runs. At this point I am not sure whether the belly pan needs to be removed. Most people leave it on from what I can tell.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
It would, yes. But that's what I am trying to figure out. Also, I am getting the impression from APR that this is meant more for road course/circuit racing where extremely high speeds are limited. It may not be meant for sustained, top speed runs. At this point I am not sure whether the belly pan needs to be removed. Most people leave it on from what I can tell.
Any update on this ? I'm looking at getting the Liquivinyl splitter which is similar to the APR however is a little cheaper.
https://www.liquivinyl.com/ford/2018mustangperformancepackagesplitter
Sponsored