Cell phone thread: What are you using?

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
i had a galaxy s8+ since release day, I loved it up until the new android update dropped a few weeks ago and I learned to hate android real quick. Oh well, I decided to go back to the fruit and got the new iPhone XS Max. Same screen size (6.5”) as the s8+ I had, I missed the FaceTime with my family and really liked the watches so that made my decision on switching back
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Im in the market for a new phone as I've been deployed. I have an S8+ and will likely replace it with the S10+ or the Pixel 3XL

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
$1200 for a phone, huh?

Is this progress?

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
LG V30+. I had on of the first phablets, the HTC Max. That was a great phone. The LG is okay. Won't go back to Samsung, and not an i-anything fan. Younger son picked up the Google Pixel2XL. He's real happy with it. Older son is an iphone fan, but is about 2 genertaions back, as he doesn't want to spend big bucks for a phone.

I've considered going back to a flip phone, but need the fancy one for work. I used to carry two phones, an office one and a personal one, and that was a huge PITA.

I usually make the phones last about 3.5 years, until the battery is completely shot.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Lumia 1520.3 or Lumia 950XL.

Other than apps drying up since MS chickened out even these 2013 and 2015 models are better than most new phones in all other ways. Fortunately, I don't use any apps that have left.

I mean even back in 2013, you had a 6" screen, 4k videos, voice texts in and out, on board maps of whatever states or countries you want, etc, etc. Still has the best user interface and these high end WPs cameras take better pictures than the new phones. And even though 6 years old for the 1520.3, still getting monthly Windows updates. Not into planned obsolescence or substandard security of the others. Like my ~$800 (2013 dollars) phones to last.

Even though some reneged, won many bets with car salesmen from 2013 until fairly recently who said their cars couldn't do hands free incoming and outgoing voice texts.

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Right now I currently have a iPhone X. No issues with it, don’t really see me upgrading to the next one based on “leaks” but we’ll see. I usually buy a new phone every other year. But I’m so happy with the X I haven’t had the want yet. I’m the only apple user in the family, I play around with their phones, I like the new galaxy 10, nothing wrong with it at all. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the latest generation cell phones if that’s what you are looking for.

As for the price, like someone said a 1200$ phone, no one forces you to pay 1200$. If you want all the bells and whistles then that’s what it costs. No one forces someone to pay 52k for a new GT, but if you want all the bells and whistles then that’s what it costs lol, otherwise get a base model.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just had the battery replaced in the iphone 6+ I've been using for a few years. Works fine for me. I guess I'm not an enthusiast about phones like I am for cars. I prefer to get away as cheaply as possible as long as the phone has the features I use regularly.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
LG V40 now, previously a Pixel XL. Pixels are my favorite phones because they're pure Google, but I got the V40 cheap so I went that route so I can afford more racecar parts. I'll no sooner use an iPhone than I would trade my Mustang for a Honda Civic.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
LG V40 now, previously a Pixel XL. Pixels are my favorite phones because they're pure Google, but I got the V40 cheap so I went that route so I can afford more racecar parts. I'll no sooner use an iPhone than I would trade my Mustang for a Honda Civic.
LG is more like Hyundai and Kia if you want to make a car comparison.

Apple is domestic. Google vs. Apple is more Ford/Chevy.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
My history of smart phones:

Google Pixel 3 < OG Pixel < Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge < LG G2 < Galaxy Nexus < Palm Pre < Samsung Instinct

I love the Pixels because of the camera quality and fast updates, can't be beat, especially because I buy them lightly used. OG Pixel was $240, Pixel 3 was $400 - both about 2-3 months after release.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Currently the original Pixel XL. Zero complaints other than some Bluetooth connectivity weirdness lately, and the initial cost.

Next one will likely be a Google also.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Note 9

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
LG is more like Hyundai and Kia if you want to make a car comparison.

Apple is domestic. Google vs. Apple is more Ford/Chevy.
I'm ok with Hyundai, I had one that lasted 320k+ miles. I just chose a car I don't like to represent Apple, and I tend to dislike Honda Civics lol

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Apple user - iPhone for years...

Current is iPhone XR 128G

I compared the XR against the XS or whatever was the current comparison last year and for me, my use and personal opinion, the XR was a better model for the $$$$. I do not use the phone as a professional camera, to build rockets or to be my personal computer.... for what it is it suits my daily needs perfectly.

I’m sure others disagree but to each his own....
Sponsored