scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback, 1965 Fastback
You misunderstood my post.
All Mustangs whether RHD or LHD are fitted with the FoMoCo filter as pictured above at the factory. Once the dealer does the first service then they are fitted with the FL-500S.
They don’t spec a different filter on RHD versions, all of them come with the oddball filter from the factory, it’s a cost saving exercise to use the smaller filter.
Obviously I did misunderstand. I haven't seen any information in my searches that suggested that the small filter is fitted on all Coyote engines (LHD and RHD) at the factory. Where did you get this info from?
Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Obviously I did misunderstand. I haven't seen any information in my searches that suggested that the small filter is fitted on all Coyote engines (LHD and RHD) at the factory. Where did you get this info from?
My dealer service foreman!
Whether that's true or not I don't know but it does stack up against some of the pictures and info people are posting of the filters they are replacing before dealers get to them.

OP
OP

scollist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback, 1965 Fastback
After reviewing all the feedback on this thread and others I have edited the original post with the following:

*************************************************************************************************************
EDIT 1/6/2019
After reviewing posts to this thread on this and another forum it has been stated that Ford fits a smaller filter (to save money) to all LHD and RHD S550 Mustangs, and then this filter is replaced by a larger Motorcraft service filter - FL-500S at the first service.

As other replies on both forums indicate that the larger filter is definitely in place on some already serviced vehicles, and others have been able to fit this larger filter without any issues, then I suggest going with the larger FL-500S filter.

The other equivalents, as quoted by SuperCheapAuto and Repco are:
- Ryco Z928
- K&N PS-2011 or HP-2011

But note that the Ford Motorcraft FL-500S appears to be the cheapest alternative when sourced from the dealership parts dept. at less than AUD$10 each.

*************************************************************************************************************
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
Shane

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
I have fitted the Ryco Z928 for 3 years up until the last change when I used the FL-500S - and will use it again as it is cheaper than the Ryco. One disadvantage is that I've had to go out and buy a new filter cup for the FL-500S (needs a 75mm 30 dimple tool). I didn't compare lengths, bit didn't notice the FL-500S being any different to the Ryco.
Sponsored