Sponsored

Don't worry about breaking in your Shelby!

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I found a prospective 2019 Shelby online and reached out to the dealer. It had more miles on it than I would have liked and I asked if it had been used for test drives or whatever. I pointed out that the first 100 miles was critical to a proper break-in per the manual. Their response:

Those Engines are dyno-broken before they are even put in the car. They are done specifically done at the Dearborn plant. All Shelby's are broken and tuned at the factory so there are no problems. They are hand built and signed off on before they are put into the car.

:like::rockon::sunglasses::)
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I found a prospective 2019 Shelby online and reached out to the dealer. It had more miles on it than I would have liked and I asked if it had been used for test drives or whatever. I pointed out that the first 100 miles was critical to a proper break-in per the manual. Their response:

Those Engines are dyno-broken before they are even put in the car. They are done specifically done at the Dearborn plant. All Shelby's are broken and tuned at the factory so there are no problems. They are hand built and signed off on before they are put into the car.

I would still be nice to it for the first hundred miles. Just go for a nice long lunch and you are done.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Even if engines are broken in for some reason those that take them out and drive hell out of them don't consider you still have drivetrain parts like transmission gears and differential gears that need at least a few hundred miles to seat properly together since brand new. I've known some in the past that would take brand new cars out and drive hell out of them and then a few thousand miles later be complaining about hearing whining from the rear differential. Duh!

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"

I hate to tell ya, but these dealers have zero clue what goes on at the factory lol. They’re just trying to reassure you to sell you a car.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The general public is really too blissfully ignorant for a proper break in to be required. Engineers know this and design accordingly.

Enjoy the car - whether you beat the snot out of it or admire it in your driveway on Sunday.

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I watched a great doco on the making of the Dodge Challenger. They put every engine on the dyno at the motor assembly plant and took it straight up to just under redline and kept it there for 20 minutes whilst taking a multitude of readings, when the inspector was finished and happy with the results he signed off on the motor, it was put on a rack to go out and get fitted to a vehicle and then he tested another engine. It was amazing to watch.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I watched a great doco on the making of the Dodge Challenger. They put every engine on the dyno at the motor assembly plant and took it straight up to just under redline and kept it there for 20 minutes whilst taking a multitude of readings, when the inspector was finished and happy with the results he signed off on the motor, it was put on a rack to go out and get fitted to a vehicle and then he tested another engine. It was amazing to watch.
I would imagine just about any engine builder does this. Edelbrock runs all their crate motors out on a dyno.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The dyno that ford does on the line is a diagnostic dyno. They are not breaking in the motor as you speak. This comes from my source at flat rock.

I verified it recently due to another thread

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The dyno that ford does on the line is a diagnostic dyno. They are not breaking in the motor as you speak. This comes from my source at flat rock.

I believe this is correct.

Sponsored

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
1966 A code Fastback GT (wish I still had it), 2014 Explorer Sport, 2013 FLHTK Harley, 2019 GT350.

It really is a VERY cool procedure. It checks EVERYTHING!

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
The issue of beating on a new car is small but not having a fully warmed up engine before beating the snot out of it will ultimately shorten its life. It takes a good amount of time to fully warm up the engine especially in colder climates. And has already been stated as well its not just the engine you are breaking in its the trans differential brakes etc.