Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just started clicking about 2-3 weeks ago after 71k miles. I have the new nuts in the garage. Probably installing tomorrow.
Sponsored

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
No, still haven't figured it out. I installed a new Timken hub and another new axle nut and it is still making the noise. I ran over to Brenspeed and grabbed a stock half shaft they had pulled off when upgrading a customer to stronger shafts. I am going to try that this weekend as well as clocking the bushings and loosening and re-torquing all suspension on that side.

Bomorgan123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost PP
No, still haven't figured it out. I installed a new Timken hub and another new axle nut and it is still making the noise. I ran over to Brenspeed and grabbed a stock half shaft they had pulled off when upgrading a customer to stronger shafts. I am going to try that this weekend as well as clocking the bushings and loosening and re-torquing all suspension on that side.
Would love to hear an update! Experiencing a similar problem

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just wanted to give folks the heads up that after a few months the noise is back.

I’m gonna pull the rear driver wheel off tomorrow and check everything.

It used to only happen when moving into reverse for the first time, suddenly, like when the car is rolling down a hill (my driveway) as I’m backing into my garage.

Now it happens when starting from a stop at lights and stop signs. So previously it required a sudden change in front to back direction whereas now it happens from neutral position.

It feels like something is loose and sliding back and forth. Going to check my shock top mounts, diff bushings, and subframe bolts. Those are the only things I have touched since I got the car they might be loose.

Attached is a pic of my driveway for context. I usually back in at a 45° angle this was to be dramatic but imagine slowly backing up that’s hill and as the car goes from not moving to moving, the clank comes from the driver rear.

That was originally, anyway, like I said now it’s happening from stop signs.
2F4DFB29-12F4-431E-AE56-70DD1A7C9B41.jpeg

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Check your lower control arm bolts for sure. I've had issues with those loosening up over time.

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
After 18months and $$$$ Ive finally solved my DS clicking issue.

Heres what we replaced:

- Wheel bearings 3 times
- Driveshafts (upgraded to GT350)
- Nuts (twice)
- Diff carrier bearings
- Greased / checked / loosened and refit everything multiple times.

I eventually found a great shop, who on describing the problem said he once had something similar with a Camaro. He immediately went to these, ordered new ones and voila, problem solved.

dsclick2.jpg

dsclick1.jpg

Significantly, he said that the new items from Ford were significantly thicker and look to have been redesigned.

So, finally done with this issue!!

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
After 18months and $$$$ Ive finally solved my DS clicking issue.

Heres what we replaced:

- Wheel bearings 3 times
- Driveshafts (upgraded to GT350)
- Nuts (twice)
- Diff carrier bearings
- Greased / checked / loosened and refit everything multiple times.

I eventually found a great shop, who on describing the problem said he once had something similar with a Camaro. He immediately went to these, ordered new ones and voila, problem solved.

dsclick2.jpg

dsclick1.jpg

Significantly, he said that the new items from Ford were significantly thicker and look to have been redesigned.

So, finally done with this issue!!
I remember someone posting that part months ago and others chiming in about it as well. Exactly what was said about it escapes me though.

What are those? Some kind of compression washer and what is their purpose?

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
The axles from aftermarket companies like Driveshaft Shop don't have those washers like a stock Ford are probably GT 350 new. I wonder if those are needed in addition to that at DSS axles?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I don’t recall those being on my gt350 axles. What is the part number for these?

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Rear left wheel on my 350 started wiggling and steering the rear in turns (scary). Checked the left rear nut and it was not even close to 100 lbft. Date with the dealer next week for some warranty work.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just put in DSS halfshafts last week. I could've gotten the stock drivers side of with a 1/4" ratchet.... FWIW I did 150ft/lbs as Kelly suggests, but even my 200 lb ass with a good sized snap-on breaker bar couldn't get the 1/8th turn past... So I'm calling them good for torque, although they've got to come out this week as BOTH sides ruptured the outer cv boots in one drive....

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious why the problem with the cv boots?
Are you lowered?

Just put in DSS halfshafts last week. I could've gotten the stock drivers side of with a 1/4" ratchet.... FWIW I did 150ft/lbs as Kelly suggests, but even my 200 lb ass with a good sized snap-on breaker bar couldn't get the 1/8th turn past... So I'm calling them good for torque, although they've got to come out this week as BOTH sides ruptured the outer cv boots in one drive....

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Curious why the problem with the cv boots?
Are you lowered?
Need to look at potential prob rubbing the shocks dust boots.... but I’m still mad it and have touched it. Yes lowered a little. Bmr drags

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Rear left wheel on my 350 started wiggling and steering the rear in turns (scary). Checked the left rear nut and it was not even close to 100 lbft. Date with the dealer next week for some warranty work.
So, the damage to my hub/bearing. Nut was crazy loose. Everything was reinstated, torqued to spec (both sides) then tested out. Drove great on the way home so I’m putting this one up in the W column.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have to wonder why this is not a recall issue yet. Seems way too common and somebody could die so...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.