Sponsored

Motor Trend compares 2019 Mustang GT Convertible vs Camaro SS Convertible

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
GM doesn't sell to rental companies just Ford and if you check all Mustang sales are all to fleet customers at least that's what c6g says.
Actually GM does sell Camaros (and just about any other car / truck) to rental companies. They just don’t offer them aggressive discounts. So you don’t see as many of them at the rental counters, but they are there.

My Camaro is the first convertible I’ve ever owned. When I decided to retire I knew I was getting a V8 convertible, so that narrowed it down to SS, ZL1, Grand Sport, and Z06. I wound up with the SS because I don’t like the way Corvette convertibles look with the top up. So that narrowed it to SS and ZL1. My insurance company made that decision for me. Insurance for ZL1 is insane in Michigan. Plus, I’d probably never really use the extra 200 hp. And the 50th Anniversary package was not available for ZL1.

If I was a “free agent” and deciding between a GT vert and an SS vert I would have still wound up with the SS. In my opinion, Mustang verts look like notchback Mustangs with the top up. They look great with the top down, but I just can’t take the profile with the top up. The fastback profile of the coupes is sexy as hell, but that gets lost with the vert. Add to that the “no-stop drop top” and HUD and that pretty much sealed the deal. The amount of trunk space in the Camaro is less of an issue than the shape of the opening. I’m a weekend musician. I have amps that are small enough to fit in my trunk, but they won’t pass through the opening, so they travel in the backseat / package shelf. The shape of the trunk opening is my single biggest gripe with the car at all.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Actually GM does sell Camaros (and just about any other car / truck) to rental companies. They just don’t offer them aggressive discounts. So you don’t see as many of them at the rental counters, but they are there.

My Camaro is the first convertible I’ve ever owned. When I decided to retire I knew I was getting a V8 convertible, so that narrowed it down to SS, ZL1, Grand Sport, and Z06. I wound up with the SS because I don’t like the way Corvette convertibles look with the top up. So that narrowed it to SS and ZL1. My insurance company made that decision for me. Insurance for ZL1 is insane in Michigan. Plus, I’d probably never really use the extra 200 hp. And the 50th Anniversary package was not available for ZL1.

I would have gone Camaro for convertible also. Mot likely ZL1. Btw, Hagerty makes owning a SC car in Mi. affordable. My Roush priced with a the Roush SC (on order currently) is very affordable at 710HP. That's with an at fault accident. You might want to check them out. Price it as a pleasure vehicle.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
My only convertible ownership was a 1972 Fiat 124 Spyder in San Diego County.
As good as SD, CA weather is, most of the week the top was up. What did
I learn? Convertibles are higher maintenance and at times very cool. Been a
hardtop driver ever since I sold the 124 in 1979 and moved back to the Midwest.
I think locale, age, and having a second car plays into convertible ownership.

As for the Motor Trend review and comparison, I don’t sync up with the reviewer.
If I drove both cars for comparison I would have different findings.
Have driven a C5G and not a C6G, but, what reviewers call planted-balanced
etc. in the Camaro I call handling like a Buick Electra 225. What reviewers call
skittish etc in the Mustang I call sports car feel.

Drop top or coupe is a lifestyle thing and the choice of the buyer.
Looking at the C6G photos just above, the car at first glance looks cool, but after
a long look I can say I do not want it, and after a longer look I can say I don’t like it.
The Motor Trend reviewer got one thing in sync with me, the Mustang coupe looks great.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My only convertible ownership was a 1972 Fiat 124 in San Diego County.
As good as SD, CA weather is, most of the week the top was up. What did
I learn? Convertibles are higher maintenance and at times very cool. Been a
hardtop driver ever since I sold the 124 in 1979 and moved back to the Midwest.
I think locale, age, and having a second car plays into convertible ownership.

As for the Motor Trend review and comparison, I don’t sync up with the reviewer.
etc. in the Camaro I call handling like a Buick Electra 225.
What reviewers call

Drop top or coupe is a lifestyle thing and the choice of the buyer.
Looking at the C6G photos just above, the car at first glance looks cool, but after
a long look I can say I do not want it, and after a longer look I can say I don’t like it.
The Motor Trend reviewer got one thing in sync with me, the Mustang coupe looks great.
Camaro5 (Zeta) handling compared to Camaro6 (Alpha) handling is the biggest generational change I have ever driven in any brand of cars. I had a Camaro5 as a company vehicle in one rotation. Liked it. I drove a co-worker’s Camaro6 company car for a couple weeks and decided I had to have one. Drive better than any Mustang or Corvette I had ever owned. Never owned a Camaro until this one.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Don't take your camaro convertible on a trip if you drop the top you'll have to jettison your luggage unlike my Mustang where I can bring my luggage with me and have the top down.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Camaro5 (Zeta) handling compared to Camaro6 (Alpha) handling is the biggest generational change I have ever driven in any brand of cars.
Ever drive a S197 and S550 back to back? I think they would easily compete for the same statement.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
etc. in the Camaro I call handling like a Buick Electra 225. What reviewers call
:like:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Drive better than any Mustang or Corvette I had ever owned. Never owned a Camaro until this one.
You should try a GT350. Much better handling than the 6G Camaro.

On a side note - I still don't see how convertible and handling go together. IMO convertibles should be cruisers. Hardtops are for performance driving.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
yeah no, at least not when put up against a SS+1LE. The Shelby is 'nicer' to drive perhaps but the 1LE has better stability and grip. And GM's tuning on the magneride is much better.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't take your camaro convertible on a trip if you drop the top you'll have to jettison your luggage unlike my Mustang where I can bring my luggage with me and have the top down.
Taking it to CamaroFest next month. I don’t expect any issues. I’ve done it before and will do it again. You should see when I drive it to a gig. Two basses, an amp, amp stand, mic stand, tall multi instrument guitar stand and a gear bag. Other than I can’t get the amp through the trunk opening, I have no issues with loading, transporting and unloading.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ever drive a S197 and S550 back to back? I think they would easily compete for the same statement.
Actually I have and you may have a point. There was a big difference. I think I still call the Ca5 - Ca6 difference a bit more pronounced. Base Ca6 SS outhandles Ca5 ZL1. That’s a big undertaking.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

On a side note - I still don't see how convertible and handling go together. IMO convertibles should be cruisers. Hardtops are for performance driving.
I’ve driven them and will probably get one some day. From my own calibrated butt dyno the GT350 handles quite a bit better than the base SS. Compared to an SS 1LE it’s a driver’s preference. Compared to a ZL1, I’d land on the ZL1 every time. The main difference (in my opinion) is that the seated position in the GT350 is higher than the seated position in the ZL1. Even when wedged into the Recaros of the GT350, it led to more body lean (me, not the car). The ZL1 kept me wedged in place and provided a bit more of a secure feel. Otherwise, they were both very solidly placed on the track.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Convertibles that handle well is where sports cars started.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Taking it to CamaroFest next month. I don’t expect any issues. I’ve done it before and will do it again. You should see when I drive it to a gig. Two basses, an amp, amp stand, mic stand, tall multi instrument guitar stand and a gear bag. Other than I can’t get the amp through the trunk opening, I have no issues with loading, transporting and unloading.
BS
Sponsored