Coilover time! Pedders Extreme!?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The other big one I didnt list here is the rear lower control arm bearing which offers tremendous improvements but it's a pain in the ass. You can probably hold off on that until you can re-evaluate how the suspension is working for you and figuring what else you want to improve.
Yeah, OP if you look at my build thread, this along with the BMR Front bar are my most recent additions. To be honest the bearings are something I wish I had done sooner, but it's nice to do this stuff incrementally and feel the improvement from each part. Freeing up the rear suspension with those bearings lets it work SO much better, and significantly improves traction and ride. It is a pain to do though, as you have to take the rear control arms out of the car to get the bearings in. Well worth the price and time, though.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
^ Couldn't agree more with @BmacIL here. Upgrading to the bearings - both for front and rear control arms - is a significant improvement in handling. I did the RLCA bearings way before I did the front control arm bearings. The RLCA bearing + the diff bushing lockout changed the feel of the car massively. Seriously like a different car. Fast forward almost 2 years later did the front control arm bearings (and roll center correction lateral links) and noticed a similar improvement to the RLCA bearings. Making the suspension work better pays dividends - in ride, confidence and traction you gain from it.

I don't always mention the bearings because some people hear the word bearing and say no this is a street car. But they really are worth it. If you're very serious about your handling it's a must. And like I said they actually improved my ride. It's not harsh because the spring rates and damping controls the body very well. If you have that basic foundation it's easier to make incremental changes like this.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
RLCA bearings and stiffer springs, with stock GTPP rear bar are next for me.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There are MANY of us on this forum w/ it. It's a proven setup. I would do the BMR adjustable front bar with this setup. It really makes the front end work how it should.

@Bluemustang @Biggsy @J.P.B. @H1shawn1 @Flyhalf @Rebellion @CTH621 @Demon Coyote @mindys @jbird60 and many more...
Yup, couldn't be happier with my setup. Car feels great where you can definitely tell it's stiff, but it's not annoying/unbearable. Feels awesome around corners and absorbs bumps really well too. Honestly, I felt like this setup should have been offered with the Performance Pack and what's in the performance pack should have been stock on all these cars lol.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, couldn't be happier with my setup. Car feels great where you can definitely tell it's stiff, but it's not annoying/unbearable. Feels awesome around corners and absorbs bumps really well too. Honestly, I felt like this setup should have been offered with the Performance Pack and what's in the performance pack should have been stock on all these cars lol.
Yeah man, you gotta do the RLCA bearings too. It'll ride and hook up better. It's one of those things that every big step you're like "oh wow, I'm so happy, I don't know how I could be happier" and then you find another thing that's a sizeable step-function improvement.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I guess my goal would be a very seriously improved street machine. My last high performance 2 door was a 2007 Civic Si Coupe (FG2, k24 swapped, 300whp) had a great Buddy Club Racing set up, fully adjustable coilovers, sway bars, endlinks and every bar and brace known to riceboy kind. It was not uncomfortable but capable of lifting (both) inside tires given the correct circumstances, rear broke loose and oversteered instead of understeer, compliant, comfortable and reliable with almost not NVH increase....Id like to shoot for something like that if possible although I believe it to be hard and expensive not to mention time consuming. My car will rarely see the track, unlike my civic. did. It will however see mountain and canyon roads, long trips and general around town stupidity. Im seriously thinking about the FP/BMR setup instead of a coilover, as I dont really need the adjustability and wont in the future. From what I can tell, sway bars on this car are kind of unnecessary but we'll see what rear grip and lateral G look like before new tires...which I need.

-Paul

What is the install on the bearings like? Straightforward? Will a tuning shop know what to do with them? Are they worth the cost or does the kit as outlined have a pretty good function without them?

Also anyone have links to the aforementioned FP/BMR setup? Thanks!
If canyon and mountain roads with a lower stance are your focus, then stick with twin tube dampers and a moderate spring rate. Koni/Steeda dampers with a spring rate of around 200F/800R is great; step up a bit more if you’re daring (I run 225F/880R).

I drive a few mountain roads here and there, and the magic elixir is less than more.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I see no reason the SP083s are too high a spring rate. Track cars run much much higher rates after all. SP083 rates are right around 1.6hz which is still street car levels. The 250F/980R rates give a good, proper "sports car" feel. I drive over quite a few uneven surfaces around here, as the roads aren't very good and I have no problems with traction. Now if I were driving in downtown Washington, D.C. for example no it wouldn't be good, but then again if I were doing that constantly I wouldn't even drive a Mustang, let alone be modifying it.

I am also a fan of the monotube design, which the Ford Performance dampers are. The long awaited Bilsteins are also monotube which I find interesting. Seems to me usually the higher end dampers, like you might find in coilovers or track setups, also use the monotube design. More consistent, better damping vs. twin tube.

OP
OP

PtheGman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (2.5g, 6 bolt, 4G64)
Yeah, OP if you look at my build thread, this along with the BMR Front bar are my most recent additions. To be honest the bearings are something I wish I had done sooner, but it's nice to do this stuff incrementally and feel the improvement from each part. Freeing up the rear suspension with those bearings lets it work SO much better, and significantly improves traction and ride. It is a pain to do though, as you have to take the rear control arms out of the car to get the bearings in. Well worth the price and time, though.

I probably won't be doing the bearings any time soon. I could still spend the money on another part for now though.
-Paul

OP
OP

PtheGman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all for your input. I still feel like I should go with the Ford performance track pack. I have always been a bit uneasy who t modifying this car, I feel like going with ford parts, especially when they make a kit, is in my interest. It gets me where I want, above PP specs. It's a manufacturer part and carries the name. Plenty of other aftermarket stuff will go on my car, I think I want this to be a Ford part.

I still may change my mind

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thank you for all for your input. I still feel like I should go with the Ford performance track pack. I have always been a bit uneasy who t modifying this car, I feel like going with ford parts, especially when they make a kit, is in my interest. It gets me where I want, above PP specs. It's a manufacturer part and carries the name. Plenty of other aftermarket stuff will go on my car, I think I want this to be a Ford part.

I still may change my mind
I met a new buddy recently who has the Ford Performance track pack (no other suspension mods) and have driven his car. It rides very nice and handles really good. It's a great kit.
Also, just as some background, I had the springs and dampers out of the Ford Performance track pack on my car. For over a year... Basically the same setup except BMR sway bars instead of Ford Performance ones. So I'm well aware of how it feels and responds. I switched out the springs for the BMR SP083.

Just trying to give you some info to make your decision. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PtheGman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I met a new buddy recently who has the Ford Performance track pack (no other suspension mods) and have driven his car. It rides very nice and handles really good. It's a great kit.
Also, just as some background, I had the springs and dampers out of the Ford Performance track pack on my car. For over a year... Basically the same setup except BMR sway bars instead of Ford Performance ones. So I'm well aware of how it feels and responds. I switched out the springs for the BMR SP083.

Just trying to give you some info to make your decision. Good luck with whatever route you choose.
Thanks man, something in me is resisting going with anything but factory parts, another part of me doesnt care lol. If I could find the BMR springs in stock i think that this would be a done deal at this point.

Does anyone have a lineup on these parts, in stock currently? These springs in particular, the BMR SP083, seem to be the hard part to find. I think im going to try and get this stuff ordered this week and hopefully next week a local shop can install. Thanks again!

on a secondary but related note, I think im going to forego a CAI, it doesnt seem worth it to me with the limitied gains and the $$/HP breakdown isnt very good. I am however strongly considering a tune, as the 91 tune from bullydog sucks bullyballs. The gains from just a tune seem to be in the same ballpark as with a CAI lol.

Paul

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man, something in me is resisting going with anything but factory parts, another part of me doesnt care lol. If I could find the BMR springs in stock i think that this would be a done deal at this point.

Does anyone have a lineup on these parts, in stock currently? These springs in particular, the BMR SP083, seem to be the hard part to find. I think im going to try and get this stuff ordered this week and hopefully next week a local shop can install. Thanks again!

on a secondary but related note, I think im going to forego a CAI, it doesnt seem worth it to me with the limitied gains and the $$/HP breakdown isnt very good. I am however strongly considering a tune, as the 91 tune from bullydog sucks bullyballs. The gains from just a tune seem to be in the same ballpark as with a CAI lol.

Paul
http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1578

jbird60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
There are MANY of us on this forum w/ it. It's a proven setup. I would do the BMR adjustable front bar with this setup. It really makes the front end work how it should.
Can confirm, this setup is quite pleasant and even performs well on track. Personally, I'd only go to coilovers if I was building a track-only car, and even then I'd only go with a stupid-expensive-yet-stupid-good set (Ohlins, RideTech, JRi, Penske).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Paul
No problem! Going with the factory FP track kit is an easy, bolt-on, no extra engineering required suspension setup. And of course I found out the hard way just how tough figuring out suspension is. But that doesn't mean that you can't source different parts and make it work and improve upon it. Fortunately, many members on this forum have done their homework. So you don't have to go through what I did when the S550 chassis just came out.

In summary: the FP track kit is great. But you can improve upon it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@PtheGman - do you have access to 93 octane in your area? Or E85/flex fuel? If so, I would highly recommend either of those. A high octane fuel and tune will surely wake that beast up. I expect you will see a little gain from 91 but it might leave you somewhat disappointed. I'm lucky in my area that I have good quality 93 everywhere and lots of stations that offer E85.
Sponsored