Will removing new PPF damage the paint?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So I had Xpel Ultimate applied to the entire front of the car. The detailer did an amazing job. But after they did the whole hood they noticed a large defect in the film. There is a series of indentations in a perfect line in the film about 3" long on top of the hood. Each dimple is about an 1/8" apart and looks as if a zipper was pressed into it. It's very noticeable as you walk by the car. All attempts at healing the film have failed. The detailer took pictures and sent them to Xpel for an explanation. The shop says they have never seen a defect in the film like this before. Figures it would happen to my car. So I'm considering getting the hood redone but I have concerns that removing the film could be a bigger headache than it's worth. I have seen pictures of paint being pulled off along with the film and I certainly don't want that. What should I do?
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
If they use a steamer it’s completely fine, my hood was redone. Strange I had a defect too. Xpel sent my shop new film via warranty. They just use a giant steamer and pulled off

No issues.

Good shops use steamers for tint and PPF, even 10 years down road it comes off w steamer no issue.

Only thing to worry about is PPF on cracked flakes rusted off paint. It’s going to pull off those paints

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Steam... that makes good sense.

Thanks for the replies. I will be going back to the shop to get the hood re-done. It's a shame there's a defect in the film because they really did a perfect job installing it. Do you think Xpel will compensate them for the extra labor?

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Done properly the paint underneath will not be damaged.

Not likely that the labor would be covered under warranty, but the installer might just eat it anyways. I am not sure of 3M's warranty specifics for Xpel film.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Yes. They cover warranty labor if it’s a defect, took 2 days but my shop got the work via warranty and they compensated them for labor

Even if not some reason, it really doesn’t take long for hood. I think I saw him do mine in like 20 minutes really with his fellow worker

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yes. They cover warranty labor if it’s a defect, took 2 days but my shop got the work via warranty and they compensated them for labor

Even if not some reason, it really doesn’t take long for hood. I think I saw him do mine in like 20 minutes really with his fellow worker
Well it's been more than a week now. Still waiting for a phone call. I will visit them this week and put some pressure on them to get this resolved. I hate to complain at the shop that did the work when it's the product is the issue.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t matter really, they are obligated to eat a loss. It’s up to them to recoup labor. Their service/product is defective.

They are responsible regardless. It’s their fault for not noticing it during install an argument could ensue.

That’s what I did, I straight told them fix it now, and get their refund after.

I wasn’t waiting around for a maybe.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
If the product is defective, they certainly are not responsible. Not sure how you feel that they would be.. they don't manufacture it.

Sometimes film defects are not immediately apparent.

If they noticed flaws in the film and let it go out the door, then yes they are responsible for installing a defective product and should eat the labor. If the flaws showed up after the fact, they're in no way obligated to re-do it for free, although most good shops would do so anyways.

You can come at me with that attitude but it will get you nowhere, and probably even set you back further.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Going to call them this afternoon and get them to book me in for a replacement. I'm tired of being too nice.
Sponsored