Sponsored

Help!!! How do you do paint touch up on Magnetic grey?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Problem is on op car is on his bumper. That needs to be filled first and than touched.
Sponsored

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Empty out the pen and mix it up, maybe the color will match better with a large amount mixed together and will bring out more of the grey flake.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Problem is on op car is on his bumper. That needs to be filled first and than touched.
Dr. Color chip will fill it. Do it twice if not satisfied. If you are looking for 90% better it’s great. If you want 100%, get ready to pony up and be annoyed when it happens again

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That's the paint he bought. It doesn't match. Good info though for those that aren't familiar

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Same as lb. I bought the Ford touch up paint and it doesn't match for shit. Not even close.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Empty out the pen and mix it up, maybe the color will match better with a large amount mixed together and will bring out more of the grey flake.
I’m going to try this approach this morning. If works I’ll post images. If not, it’s off to the body shop.

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lessons learned:
1) the paint will match, but don't use the pen tip. It would only give me a black look even after mixed.
2) don't use your wife's Styrofoam egg cartons that she uses to mix her "art " paints in. It eats through it in a second flat.
3) mix your paint. I shook the heck out of the paint pen for a minute flat - didn't work! Tried that three times. Finally when I dumped it all out and mixed it - it matched perfect.
4) I'm not a painter and I don't have patience, so the end result is all me and not the paint. I'll live with it. I'll post the images after the clear coat drys. The Dr. Chip probably would have worked better since it gives you more tools.

Lastly, thanks for all the help and insights. This truly is a great forum with some good people!

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Result...... To the body shop we go! Oh well.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I bought 2 pens (paint and clearcoat) from paintscratch.com and it matched perfectly. I also have a couple of chips but nothing as big as you OP... You can tell if you look closely, but not worth repainting the whole area for it.
The only issue with paintscratch provided pens is they tend to dry out fairly quickly once you open them... within a couple of weeks the provided tip dries completely and is unusable.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After the body shop install full bra up front.
That was where I was heading this Thursday. If I can get it painted and if I don't have to wait for the paint to cure then I'll keep my appointment. The paint shop is only one block from the PP place. Funny thing is I have owned a lot of black cars and got nicks in them but they were hard to notice. I got this because my raptor was the same color and it always looks clean. So when they had a black and magnetic grey for the same price at the dealership, I went with the grey thinking it would be easier to maintain. LOL - this will be the first car I have ever need to have PP done to it.

OP
OP
FLETCshooter

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0