VooDoo Engine Used Oil Analyses

tom185

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't like cutting those filters with anything other than a bespoke filter cutter. They can make you shit your pants with the extra metal that they drop in there.

Also, do these push oil through the center and out the sides? If so, youll need to cut the paper out and look through it that way.
Well, shitting my pants never actually crossed my mind, LOL, but I do get your point. I drive the car without a worry. She drives fine and doesn’t burn any appreciable oil (at least so far). I do agree that metal dropping in to the filter while cutting it crossed my mind, though I put the Dremel on very high speed and used a super fine carbon cutting blade to take that into account but that still isn't perfect, so some of the debris may be from the cutting. As for the blue compound, I recall other folks have seen that when they've cut and I'm pretty sure that debris didn’t come from cutting it open.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well, shitting my pants never actually crossed my mind, LOL, but I do get your point. I drive the car without a worry. She drives fine and doesn’t burn any appreciable oil (at least so far). I do agree that metal dropping in to the filter while cutting it crossed my mind, though I put the Dremel on very high speed and used a super fine carbon cutting blade to take that into account but that still isn't perfect, so some of the debris may be from the cutting. As for the blue compound, I recall other folks have seen that when they've cut and I'm pretty sure that debris didn’t come from cutting it open.
I don't disagree that is most likely from the engine. Everything has to wear in.

I'm curious about your black stone report for the second oil change though, post it up when you get it!

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
How bad would you feel if you spun a bearing 15k miles after the warranty expired, and you could have had a documented history of copper in the oil to show Ford, but you were too cheap?

These are highly-stressed, high-revving, high-compression motors with just about the highest piston speeds in any production engine due to the long stroke and 8250 RPM.

Also, given the way the cars hold value, even if nothing ever turns up "wrong," this is great documentation to show the next owner and hopefully get top dollar on resale. Easy to prove how the car was cared for and that it's issue free if you have the records.
I guess. Has anyone ever gotten any support from Ford for a bad oil sample? Just asking for a friend.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I guess. Has anyone ever gotten any support from Ford for a bad oil sample? Just asking for a friend.
I don't know; that's a good question.

What I've seen in the BMW world is that if someone lodges a complaint of a pending problem (or an intermittent issue) that isn't addressed during the warranty period, that then causes a failure after the warranty period, the record going back to in-warranty helps get the repair covered. I'd be willing to bet that if someone complained about excessive wear metals in the oil, with data, and nothing is done, then a serious motor issue occurs within a reasonable period post-warranty, one would be able to get at least partial coverage for the repair. No guarantee, but you do know that without the data and earlier complaint, the chance of getting support is zero, so it can't hurt.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What I'd like to know is whether anyone has ever had a bad oil sample.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A UOA tells you about the condition of the oil. Rarely, if ever, will it tell you anything about the condition of the engine. The most common "engine problem" it finds is a head gasket that's leaking coolant into the oil. The wear metal numbers that get so much attention are the result of measuring a very narrow range of very tiny particle sizes, so their usefulness is pretty limited.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
A UOA tells you about the condition of the oil. Rarely, if ever, will it tell you anything about the condition of the engine. The most common "engine problem" it finds is a head gasket that's leaking coolant into the oil. The wear metal numbers that get so much attention are the result of measuring a very narrow range of very tiny particle sizes, so their usefulness is pretty limited.
Not necessarily true. We use the results and can determine a variety things in turbine engines.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not necessarily true. We use the results and can determine a variety things in turbine engines.
I agree - where the application is standardized and controlled and where maintenance is done by qualified professionals following a well-crafted and comprehensive maintenance plan, you can get very useful information about equipment condition from an ongoing UOA program. It's just that sending a sample to Blackstone once in a while isn't quite rigorous enough to qualify :)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I agree - where the application is standardized and controlled and where maintenance is done by qualified professionals following a well-crafted and comprehensive maintenance plan, you can get very useful information about equipment condition from an ongoing UOA program. It's just that sending a sample to Blackstone once in a while isn't quite rigorous enough to qualify :)
100% agree.

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I don't know; that's a good question.

What I've seen in the BMW world is that if someone lodges a complaint of a pending problem (or an intermittent issue) that isn't addressed during the warranty period, that then causes a failure after the warranty period, the record going back to in-warranty helps get the repair covered. I'd be willing to bet that if someone complained about excessive wear metals in the oil, with data, and nothing is done, then a serious motor issue occurs within a reasonable period post-warranty, one would be able to get at least partial coverage for the repair. No guarantee, but you do know that without the data and earlier complaint, the chance of getting support is zero, so it can't hurt.
Well, my experience was in line with this:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2186674&postcount=49

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That's exactly the sort of scenario I'm envisioning. An extra $25/ oil change is not a huge expense for that, even if the probability of needing it is very low. And even if you never need it or never have a problem, limited-volume cars with impeccable service records get more money when sold than the same cars with poor or spotty service records, and a pile of UOAs is a very nice supplement to the maintenance history.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Just got back the first Blackstone oil analysis before second oil change and at 6000 miles. Only element out of norm was high Al (28 ppm) - notes said it is typical as engine breaks in and should come down in consequent analyses. Will see

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Updated UOA. I suspect that the aluminum spike I saw last time was from 5 track sessions at COTA in 100F+ temperatures. I probably should have changed the oil right after, but moved across the country and didn't have the space or tools. I ultimately ended up doing another ~1500 miles on the track oil. Curious to hear what the experts say.

The great news is that this engine doesn't consume much oil anymore. I found a few ounces in the AOS when I changed the oil, but the dipstick always read in the "don't add oil" range.
16 GT350R-190601 copy.png

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why do you guys not get TAN and TBN? Just never heard about it or don’t understand it? All the elements tell you a lot about your engine, but it’s the properties at the bottom that tell you the health of the oil, and TAN and TBN are a huge, major part of that.
Sponsored