Stanley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
17 base 3.7 manual
Hello All.

Just did a trip from Blaine down through Oregon, Nevada, to Del Mar Ca.
Returned up through Nevada, then Idaho..

Our car is a standard trans. Seems perfect for a hwy cruiser.. easy to find 3500-4000 rpm torque sweet spot with smart downshifts...and it has the feel of a bigger stronger motor when you cruise around in that zone, easy power.... 6th gear is only for loping along.
75mph in 6th gear is 2000rpm.
Avg 27mpg ( wasn't shy on the throttle, 91 octane the whole trip )
Winding out the longer gears is enjoyable for me...as a truck driver, had my fill of short gears...
And it does scream nicely up near redline. The car puts on the miles easily, and comfortable as well. Added a seat cushion to sit up a little taller and more square...helps a ton. Also added a clutch pedal extender, and that has been a very useful and handy modification...about a 2min install. We're pleased with the value and all the features of a base model..held a ton of our gear with the back seats down. Decent stereo also-)
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
For highway cruising and fuel economy, sure.

For my enjoyment the rest of the time (and on the highway too, other than being in higher RPMs cruising), I love the 3.73s I put in. A lot easier to get in that RPM sweet spot you mentioned when you're cruising about at 3k though haha

OP
OP

Stanley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
17 base 3.7 manual
For highway cruising and fuel economy, sure.

For my enjoyment the rest of the time (and on the highway too, other than being in higher RPMs cruising), I love the 3.73s I put in. A lot easier to get in that RPM sweet spot you mentioned when you're cruising about at 3k though haha

Fair enough.... you definitely have to pay attention and stay on top of driving the car, to get the most from the 3.7. Engine is very flexible. Makes for a very good drivers car , especially value wise. Handling is very neutral also. What a base model compare to the 2010 vintage and earlier..... IRS, 300hp 280tq... posi, loaded with std features. Great seats.. a/c , power, cruise, wow
Had to buck up $200 to Ford mo.co. for a real spare tire however-(

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I love my 3.73's. It's like a whole new car. The car actually pulls in 6th. Still hits the speed limiter pulling. No need to downshift in order to pass. Mileage suffered a little, but not too bad. Worth it in my opinion.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
yeah...3.73s FTW...haha

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
Sounds like a really nice road trip! I have to take one sometime on winding 2 lanes- I'm a former autocrosser who used to love twisties. Seems like all my road trips are on I-15 either to Santa Monica or Salt Lake City, basically put the cruise on 80, only fun is on-ramps or passing. With my factory 3.55s, the response is quite brisk. I imagine my fuel mileage is a bit less than yours, tho.

As for the 91 octane, I agree that the seat-o-pants meter registers a little quicker response. That subject has been heavily discussed and argued over on 2 other Mustang forums. There is a little bit of evidence in favor from an aftermarket performance company's baseline dyno tests. It's only maybe 6 hp, but if it feels good, well....:like: I usually use 89 for DD, have for a long time, started on my 95 T-Bird because I'd get a slight ping in the summer heat on 87.

Last edited:

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with the 3.15's, but I've been doing the math and the 3.73's keep tugging at me for a little more around town zip and maybe a high stall T/C (I believe that's doable), still researching. Did both on my former '91 'vette and they made a real difference in my butt-o-meter.
Sponsored