Sponsored

Why doesn't the Mustang have keypad code entry?

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
This all comes from integrating the fob and key.

Old man rant follows.

I miss being able to cut a few cheap keys and having them around as spares. This was life in the old days. You had door plus ignition. Or sometimes just one key for both. Cost about $1 to have a brass key cut.

I get that those early cars were easy to hotwire and steal. So we added a transponder chip into the key itself. With the chip keys you'd cut a $2 bare metal spare to get you in the door in case you locked the keys in and could also just leave the corresponding chip key in the vehicle if you wanted to. The keypads make sense on those years, in case of lockout or intentional key in car stowage.

Finally, when there were no chipless blanks around you could buy it still wasn't too expensive to cut and clone a couple of chipped spares. $40 or so. This is how most of our commercial vehicles in the fleet still operate where I work. Why? That is peak usability. Many chipped, inexpensive keys exist in key cabinets that don't need a internal battery to worry about or a massive fob to deal with. The key is thus pocketable and not hanging off a belt or placed on a table and lost.

If there is a fob you could always lock it in the car or leave it wherever you want and the car didn't try to outsmart you and unlock the door. You didn't even really need those old fobs since the chip was in the key itself and the fobs broke after a few years anyway.

Fast forward to today.

With my Mustang the fob *is* the key. It also costs over $300 to make a spare, I looked into it. It's also fucking huge! You also only get 2 with the car. You can't lock it in the car because the car unlocks itself if you do.

In all important ways we went backwards. A chip provides security but it does not have have to exist in a huge, expensive, fragile chunk of plastic that requires a battery and can't survive a rainstorm or an impact. It's frankly stupid. I hate the size of this thing. You can't put it on a keyring with your other keys. The buttons can be pressed inadvertently. It's too thick for a pants pocket. Can't even leave it in the car. And since it is the key you obviously can't leave it behind.

I have half a dozen work keys for different trucks that take up less space and make less trouble. And if I lost that ring it would be cheaper to replace than a single Mustang IAK.

Maybe the IAK looks good at the bar with the silver pony. I know Porsche guys pay $$$ for a pretty body color fob so maybe it's all for looks. But I hate it.

End rant.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What if you have to escape angry forest creatures? Or cannibal hillbillies? I'd want the fastest car in my arsenal.
Truth be told, I once went camping with my 2005 GT. Folded those seats down, got all my equipment and more in there. Could do the same thing with a current Mustang, just can't really go off-road or anything.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
All the vehicles you mentioned have one thing in common that your mustang does not share with them.
They are North American cars only.
My guess would be that now that The Mustang is a global car, and the rest of the world isn’t interested in our little conveniences like entry keypads, integrated garage door openers and actual Air conditioned seats, and the fact that we as mustang owners and enthusiast never requested it, Ford didn’t bother to design it into the Mustang.
As I understand it, the UK cars are not allowed to be equipped with remote start and they managed to accomplished that without issues. Just saying and yes I have owned two Lincolns and two Crown Vics that had the keypad. I used it on the two Lincolns, not so much on the Crown Vics.

Sponsored

OP
OP
slowrey

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
because not 90's
Silly quotes like this begs the question. Why does the 2017 Ford Edge that uses the exact same key fob allow it? Those who say it's old school seem like they really haven't had many modern Ford products.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've had the keypad on various ford vehicles since 2005, the older style with the actual pushbuttons worked better but they were unsightly on some vehicles. Then came the embedded style that is hidden until you touch them. They work fine until it rains. Turns out they use similar tech as the touchscreen on your smartphone, try using your smartphone underwater, they don't work very well. My kid has a 16 focus titanium with the keypad, my wifes 17 edge has one, my previous 16 edge had one and my 18 explorer has one and we never use them. Having the intelligent access with pushbutton start makes the keypad redundant and useless. And for those who say it comes in handy when you run out to the car to grab something, just take the fob with you or don't lock the door. Besides even the embedded hidden style is still ugly and doesn't fit with the clean lines of a mustang.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I think keyless entries are cool and I wish our car had it. It is useful if you want to lock up everything in your car including your key (like at the beech). When I was a kid we had an 89 Taurus LX (top of the line) which had it. It also had some other cool features like a digital dash (rare in those days) and an antenna which you could raise/lower with a button.

Why doesn't the Mustang have keyless entry? My guess is that Ford did some market research and determined the typical Mustang owner doesn't want it. I think they're wrong, most people probably do want it, or think they don't but would realize they actually liked it if they had it.

OP
OP
slowrey

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I think the general consensus is if you used it in the past and liked it you want it on the mustang if you've never used it or never used it or never liked it you don't want it on the mustang

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree wholeheartedly on keys. I really miss them. To be honest, the very best key setup I like is my wifes 2017 Subaru base model. She has a regular ignition key with tiny buttons built in for remote door locks and panic. That's it. Simple, small and reliable.
I honestly despise these huge key fobs that feel like shoving a TV remote in your front pocket. My wife actually made that silly joke when I first bought my GT...

Is that a key fob in your pocket, or....?

Sponsored

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 Base, 2013 F-150 XLT Coyote, 2014 Fusion SE
I use it daily on my 2013 F-150 and weekly on my wife's 2014 Fusion. I MISS it on my '18 GT. I also concur with some others on here about being able to lock the keys in the car, I miss that too. I end up driving my truck more...LOL

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Why not? Plenty of historic RWD rally champs. All-terrain tires could make it work for dirt tracks. So long as there's no major potholes...and no water...
I'm talking with my DD. I wasn't going to buy a set of tires just for a weekend's camping. I did drive it on some sandy dirt roads though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
A fingerprint reader would be useful in my opinion.

OTOH, a month ago I detested push button start (the exception being my 52 Chevy pickup) but now I love it, keys just hang from belt.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
To be honest, the very best key setup I like is my wifes 2017 Subaru base model. She has a regular ignition key with tiny buttons built in for remote door locks and panic. That's it. Simple, small and reliable.
I honestly despise these huge key fobs that feel like shoving a TV remote in your front pocket.
That was one of my main beefs. Why does it have to be so massive! Keep the functions. Add a keypad. Whatever. But this thing is monstrous and is a constant hassle. It's almost as big as my Leatherman Wingman and that has a pocket clip at least. Even bigger taking into account the necessary carabiner.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Facial recognition maybe...
Sponsored