Super or Turbo.. what to do...

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
isnt the Hellion street sleeper kit the least expensive of all the options he posted? easiest install as well
Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The argument is getting harder and harder for turbos as it pertains to max effort power.

Today's blowers are all EXTREMELY STOUT. The edel and whipple have both been OVER 1000whp. That is impressive.

And I’m a turbo guy who has a TT 2018.... although my car is a weekend car only.

If i was putting that kind of weekly mileage on my car I’d probably go edelbrock with that new 2650 rotor pack.

OP
OP

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wuuuuut??? Not considering a P1x or D1x?? with an A10 the procharger would be a great combo.
Never had one and don't really understand the concept I guess. A turbo with the inefficiency of a belt drive.

OP
OP

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The argument is getting harder and harder for turbos as it pertains to max effort power.

Today's blowers are all EXTREMELY STOUT. The edel and whipple have both been OVER 1000whp. That is impressive.

And I’m a turbo guy who has a TT 2018.... although my car is a weekend car only.

If i was putting that kind of weekly mileage on my car I’d probably go edelbrock with that new 2650 rotor pack.
My other thought is I am bracket racing and the SC has more torque under the curve I think than turbo. I am not chasing a peak horsepower # but racing Ina short 1/8 mile. Kinda why I was leaning toward SC that and seems my SC was less finicky than my turbo. Glad to get a TT guy affirm my thoughts for a daily driver.

OP
OP

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
isnt the Hellion street sleeper kit the least expensive of all the options he posted? easiest install as well
Until you add injectors manifold tune and BAP.. apples to apples

Sponsored

turboluke9000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrapped Base Mustang GT
The Edelbrock 2650 is the torque king right now, if you're doing 1/8 mile and staying on pump I'd say it's the best fit.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Don’t go centri if you want off the pedal torque on the stock converter.

Further, the roots 2650 will also have more torque off the hit than the whipple twin screw.

Massman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2004 Explorer Sport Trac, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I would trust a supercharger over the turbo any day of the week. I have a friend who owned Taurus SHO that had a turbo fail shortly after the manufacture's warranty ended. Fortunately he had and extended warranty which covered the repair which ran ran around $3000. I also had a friend who had a GMC whose turbo quit shortly after his warranty ended. I had a 1995 MR2 Turbo which had a turbo. Per Manufacture's instruction, if traveling at 30 mph it was necessary to let the car idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. If you stopped after traveling over 60mph, 60 seconds was required to let the turbo wind down with oil flowing through the turbo before turning it off. I know many manufactures are using newer turbos that are inter cooled so that the timed idle is not necessary. Still I will take a normally aspirated engine over a turbo in most cases. The new Ranger only comes with a 4 cylinder, one normally aspirated and one turbo model.This has me wondering which engine I would select if I were in the market for one. I would love more HP, but I'm not sure I am ready for a turbo as I keep my vehicles for a long time.
I'm 68 and old school. Give me an 8 cylinder with its HP and Torque and I'm happy. My 2019 Bullitt makes me smile every time I drive it.

Reactions: A7X

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
If you can afford it and deal with the install I think turbo is better. Easier on the power train, more room to upgrade, no belt bs and lower iats

I would trust a supercharger over the turbo any day of the week. I have a friend who owned Taurus SHO that had a turbo fail shortly after the manufacture's warranty ended. Fortunately he had and extended warranty which covered the repair which ran ran around $3000. I also had a friend who had a GMC whose turbo quit shortly after his warranty ended. I had a 1995 MR2 Turbo which had a turbo. Per Manufacture's instruction, if traveling at 30 mph it was necessary to let the car idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. If you stopped after traveling over 60mph, 60 seconds was required to let the turbo wind down with oil flowing through the turbo before turning it off. I know many manufactures are using newer turbos that are inter cooled so that the timed idle is not necessary. Still I will take a normally aspirated engine over a turbo in most cases. The new Ranger only comes with a 4 cylinder, one normally aspirated and one turbo model.This has me wondering which engine I would select if I were in the market for one. I would love more HP, but I'm not sure I am ready for a turbo as I keep my vehicles for a long time.
I'm 68 and old school. Give me an 8 cylinder with its HP and Torque and I'm happy. My 2019 Bullitt makes me smile every time I drive it.
All manufacturers are going turbo for a reason.. Honda bmw ford and etc. Turbo timers were for oil cooled turbo only cars back in the day. I have the 3.5 ecoboost f150 and it’s better in every single way (except sound lol) then my v8 ones. The modern cars are vastly different from prior

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Never had one and don't really understand the concept I guess. A turbo with the inefficiency of a belt drive.
Just bringing another option to the table. You’re not exactly wanting to go 5s in the 1/8 here. You can go low 7s NA in a 2018.

OP
OP

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just bringing another option to the table. You’re not exactly wanting to go 5s in the 1/8 here. You can go low 7s NA in a 2018.
That was on my shortlist too.. maybe e85 and longtubes... Wanting to vet a long term direction either way as headers aren't cheap these days. The gold plating on the. Must be thicker than my younger days

OP
OP

JimGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you can afford it and deal with the install I think turbo is better. Easier on the power train, more room to upgrade, no belt bs and lower iats

All manufacturers are going turbo for a reason.. Honda bmw ford and etc. Turbo timers were for oil cooled turbo only cars back in the day. I have the 3.5 ecoboost f150 and it’s better in every single way (except sound lol) then my v8 ones. The modern cars are vastly different from prior
Yep on smaller engines for gas mileage but I think the big boys are supercharged, hellcat ctsv, zl1...