Sponsored

Engine oil question.

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Hi everyone, I got my first oil changed week ago, and today checked the oil level and it was in middle of two dots of the oil dipstick. It was my fault that I did not check the oil level after the change, but I thought it would be full as I put 10 qrts of the oil. Should I add more oil to it or just leave it as it is?
Thanks.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Hi everyone, I got my first oil changed week ago, and today checked the oil level and it was in middle of two dots of the oil dipstick. It was my fault that I did not check the oil level after the change, but I thought it would be full as I put 10 qrts of the oil. Should I add more oil to it or just leave it as it is?
Thanks.
Did you check it per manual?

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I checked it after fully warmed up, waited like 5 minutes
Like lightrules said, between the dots is good to go. I'd keep checking it periodically tho.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And remember this key point because peeps seem to miss it...

Full is NOT at the top hole, it’s NOT at the top of the hashmarks, it’s NOT any specific point on the dipstick. Full is wherever 10 quarts of oil ends up on YOUR dipstick. If for whatever reason, 10 quarts was down at the bottom hole, then that’s full on YOUR car. Do. Not. Add.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO

Full is NOT at the top hole, it’s NOT at the top of the hashmarks, it’s NOT any specific point on the dipstick. Full is wherever 10 quarts of oil ends up on YOUR dipstick. If for whatever reason, 10 quarts was down at the bottom hole, then that’s full on YOUR car. Do. Not. Add.
Good Point!

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
Pretty sure the manual says to wait 15 minutes, not 5. I would recheck after the correct amount of time to ensure it's not overfilled. I would always check the oil at the same exact time each time so you can have consistency with measurements. As long as you're between the range, you are good.

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT

That's right, don't pay any attention to the dipstick. There's no way you could leak or burn oil. Seriously!

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That's right, don't pay any attention to the dipstick. There's no way you could leak or burn oil. Seriously!

Are you being sarcastic?

Every GT350 owner who isn’t familiar with how to properly read the dipstick does so at their own peril.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yea, don’t know how to take that one either. I sooooo did not say ignore the dipstick.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yea, don’t know how to take that one either. I sooooo did not say ignore the dipstick.
I thought you made a good comment and it was abundantly clear. Don't put a bunch of oil in your engine trying to keep the level at the top of the dipstick. The manual says this as well. Don't add unless it goes below the bottom dot.

Having said that, I ignored the part of the manual that said to check it hot after 15 minutes. I always checked oil when the engine was cold and I had good luck with that method.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So yea, we know what the manual says and all that, but I think the most important thing you can do is be consistent. You don’t want to check it hot one time and then cold the next; then think you're low and start adding. Absolutely nothing wrong with checking cold.

And keep this in mind also...while most people conduct full on doctorate program level science projects out of checking the oil in this thing, keep in mind when you debate the difference between checking the oil hot vs cold, you are debating ounces...probably sometimes single digit ounces...in a 2 1/2 gallon oil system. Let that sink in.