Sponsored

Transmission thud/clunk

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I have never noticed that as described. I have had an occasional mild thud which I generally attributed to a less than stellar shift on my part, but nothing radically different than any other manual transmission car I've driven. I have heard an thud from the trunk once or twice, but I have a little tool bag that wasn't really well secured and I figure that was the culprit.

As for reverse, going to first back to reverse has always worked for me.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well I head a thud, like something rolling around my trunk, when I put the car in 1st at a light, before letting off the clutch. It sounds like something is engaging when the car goes from neutral to 1st.
But what is that noise? The hill start assist? LSD? Something mechanical is making noise.

Anyone know what the thunk / thud/ clunk is?
It's from backlash in the drive train is my belief. I think you are talking about a thud that all manual transmission 2015+ Mustangs have. Or at least every one I've driven has it.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Mine also makes the thud when I put it into first gear. Although, frequency and intensity have lessened significantly over time (15k miles, now).

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
It's from backlash in the drive train is my belief. I think you are talking about a thud that all manual transmission 2015+ Mustangs have. Or at least every one I've driven has it.
While I agree that it seems common. I read about it a lot on PP2 GT mustangs, but that is a different drivetrain entirely.

I want to understand what is making the noise on our GT350s

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While I agree that it seems common. I read about it a lot on PP2 GT mustangs, but that is a different drivetrain entirely.

I want to understand what is making the noise on our GT350s
They have either similar or the same parts from the transmission to the wheels. Yes the transmission is different, but the other parts are similar or same.

Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
They have either similar or the same parts from the transmission to the wheels. Yes the transmission is different, but the other parts are similar or same.
The GT350 has different components than the GT PP as I understand it. Upgraded hubs, axle half shafts, rotors, wheels, suspension, etc. Not sure about the drive shaft.

I just don’t know why the sound would be the same or what it is.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It is the behavior of the torsen. All my 3.73 did this and my 3.55 never had a single thud.

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3, 2006 Saleen SC
Just wondering if the blowfish mount helps reduce this thud?
Sponsored