Keep losing battery cover fasteners.

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
i made a rookie mistake of removing the battery cover causing one fastener to fall through the opening between the battery and fender......Will anything happen to the car if it gets stuck there forever?
Its liable to rust out
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I have one riding around somewhere in the engine compartment. I spent half an hour with a flashlight looking for it. Confirmed it didn't get wedged anywhere around the turbo, grabbed another one out of the bag and stuck it in, and went back to living my life. Hopefully it's fallen out on the road by now.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
i made a rookie mistake of removing the battery cover causing one fastener to fall through the opening between the battery and fender......Will anything happen to the car if it gets stuck there forever?
As long as its not in your turbo turbine your okay :D

Deleted member 35644

I have one riding around somewhere in the engine compartment. I spent half an hour with a flashlight looking for it. Confirmed it didn't get wedged anywhere around the turbo, grabbed another one out of the bag and stuck it in, and went back to living my life. Hopefully it's fallen out on the road by now.
It's probably made it's way down to the bottom of the fender well. Remove the bottom part of your fender liner rearward of the wheel and it'll probably be right there.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Unexpected rattles which is why I always did whatever I could to extract it. Luckily, the one time it fell into the doom of darkness it had landed inside the duct near the back driver side fender which my hand could reach through the back of the side splitter.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Dang the seller is no longer in business...
:(

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Unexpected rattles which is why I always did whatever I could to extract it. Luckily, the one time it fell into the doom of darkness it had landed inside the duct near the back driver side fender which my hand could reach through the back of the side splitter.
Mine got wedged in the fender and caught against the foam bag the factory stuffed in the fender.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I just left the whole battery cover off. No issues, and a few ounces less excess weight.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just left the whole battery cover off. No issues, and a few ounces less excess weight.
Not a good idea. The battery cover helps keep the battery compartment cool from engine bay heat. Baking the battery isn't good. I've compared the battery temperature difference with and without the cover and it's a big difference.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this will be the final word on fastener loss. At least my final word. I hope.

Here you'll see I have replaced the black washers with white washers of the same derivation: VW seat belt mounts. You'll also see an unlikely little tin box mounted pretty much in the path of someone working at fastening the battery cover.

YellowCarBatteryCoverWithWhiteWashersAndClosedSparesTinDSCN5727.jpg

A little farther down you'll see a glimpse of what is in the little tin. Am I ready, or what? (Lost only one more fastener in the black-to-white washer shuffle).

YellowCarBatteryCoverWithWhiteWashersAndOPENSparesTin_DSCN5727.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Similar idea. Was tired of the cheesy pushpins. All parts found at Ace Hardware.

20181223_153728_resized.jpg
20181223_154607_resized_1.jpg
20181223_154827_resized_1.jpg
Did you have to drill or were the inserts the same size as the holes from the factory?

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I just lost one-half of a pin to the blackhole, so I ordered one off of e-bay for $2.50 with free shipping. I would have just let it go but I'm painting them for some accent coloring. They also had sets of 10 for like $5, but I'm likely to just misplace the extras so I just got the one. The part number is W716510-S300 if anyone needs it.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Did you have to drill or were the inserts the same size as the holes from the factory?
I rat tail filed them just a little. You want them to be a tight fit and have to slightly hammer them in. You have to be careful on the one in the fender. I filed it a little too much and used some epoxy to make sure it stayed in place.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Stop messing with them?
Sponsored