Sponsored

Will the GT500 engine be offered as a crate motor?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
While were waiting....What is the odds of the GT500 engine being offered as a crate motor? I have a Fox mustang build that I want to do a coyote swap, but finding an OTB SC coyote is expensive. A GT500 crate would foot the bill, unless its stupid expensive. I mean my current build (not ford) i am using a new Crate GM LT4 which can be had for < $14k and for under a grand more i can have this setup around 700 rwhp,
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If it was offered, yes, it would be stupid expensive.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Ford crate motors are expensive in general. I don't now why but they all seem to be pricey compared to GM crate motors. So yes a GT500 crate motor is going to be stupid expensive if offered as a crate motor.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not ready for my Foxbody project but was hoping to use a Ford powerplant. But at the cost i am seeing, I may have to go to the dark side and put an LT4 in the fox.....shame Ford can't compete with the GM crate motors.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes it should be available, but it will be stupidly expensive.

Finding a truck motors with a basic 5-6k blower setup will be much much cheaper. You can always do the DOB kit too which is only 3k-4k.

Obviously those choices don't bring the same stigma as the OEM GT500 engine, but you can make just as much power for a quarter of the price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know its not apples to apples but an LT5 (zr1) can be had for ~$18k. The current Gt350/aluminator crate is around $16k so I think everyone is right the GT500 is likely to be in the mid $20k's which is just insane, at that point your buying it because so you can say i have a GT500 motor.....Its cool just not that cool.....

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Just for a price comparison, Mopar is offering the hellephant crate motor for 30K. For those that don't know what the hellephant is its the demon engine bumped up to 426 ci with a bigger blower than the demon and more cam. It puts out 1000 hp at the flywheel. But mopar does include the control pack with it for that 30K, you don't have to buy it separately like you do with ford.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm sure it will be. But weirdly enough that makes the Aluminator XS52 sound like an interesting proposition because yes I'm sure the Predator is going to be STUPID expensive.

Ford isn't the only one that's guilty of expensive crate engines though either. GM has gotten WILDLY out of control.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know its not apples to apples but an LT5 (zr1) can be had for ~$18k. The current Gt350/aluminator crate is around $16k so I think everyone is right the GT500 is likely to be in the mid $20k's which is just insane, at that point your buying it because so you can say i have a GT500 motor.....Its cool just not that cool.....
IMO $18K for a cam in block V8 pump gas engine is just nuts. It should be less than $10k. Their profits on that crate engine must be insane.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Would the bigger difference/justification be that the that the Voodoo & Predators are handbuilt by FP?

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ford crate motors are expensive in general. I don't now why but they all seem to be pricey compared to GM crate motors. So yes a GT500 crate motor is going to be stupid expensive if offered as a crate motor.
Ford's engines have to be way more expensive to build than GM's. A quarter the cams, half the valvetrain, no phasers, no IMRC's, much simpler-to-cast heads... Big dumb pushrod engines are dirt cheap, which is why they (GM & Dodge) still use them. I wouldn't be surprised if GM could build an LS3 for half the cost of a Coyote.

Not saying one is better than the other, but old tech definitely trumps high-tech when it comes to cost.

On the used market, you could get a garden variety 5.3L truck engine for probably the same cost as a good set of heads for a Coyote.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
On the used market, you could get a garden variety 5.3L truck engine for probably the same cost as a good set of heads for a Coyote.
Last I heard you could get a used running 5.3 with a 4L60 and the computer and harness for around 2K. That was about 10 years ago, they are probably more now.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford's engines have to be way more expensive to build than GM's. A quarter the cams, half the valvetrain, no phasers, no IMRC's, much simpler-to-cast heads... Big dumb pushrod engines are dirt cheap, which is why they (GM & Dodge) still use them. I wouldn't be surprised if GM could build an LS3 for half the cost of a Coyote.

Not saying one is better than the other, but old tech definitely trumps high-tech when it comes to cost.

Of course it’s cheaper. Just like a horse and buggy and cheaper than a car.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Last I heard you could get a used running 5.3 with a 4L60 and the computer and harness for around 2K. That was about 10 years ago, they are probably more now.
Production volume beats inflation. Here is a crappy but quick example. No, it's not anything good (Just your basic 5.3/4L60E) but yeah, it's under $1300 bucks. If you want a better complete (Engine only), you're talking $1600.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6

That is true, but it seems even fords OHV crate motors and big blocks are a little pricey compared to GM. I remember a friend of my father's was building a 32 Ford Coupe. Car was gorgeous, had a Chevy 427 in it. When I asked him why he said he was able to build the chevy 427 much cheaper than a Ford 427. A few years later, same guy built a 32 roadster and put a GM "fastburn 385" in it, again because it was cheaper than a Ford Crate engine
Sponsored