Sponsored

Arizona crap 91 octane!

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Ugg! Anyone have any suggestions of what brand of 91 octane available in Phoenix has the best quality? E is not an option for me since I drive the car a lot and there are no stations near me. i've had the best luck consistently with Chevron stations, but it's still not good. Jon Lund Jr. is amazed how bad our 91 is despite me trying Chevron, Circle K/Shell and now Costco (Costco is particularly horrible fyi). On my current tank of Costco 91 I'm actually seeing 2-3 degrees of knock at times at cruise under light load going up small hills, etc in 7th and 8th gear. I'm about to just say the hell with it and start running a can of Boostane with every fill up. It's such a bummer we don't have better access to E around here, or Sunoco 93 like the boys back East!

Chris
Sponsored

import111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have had good luck with Shell and Frys 91 octane gas. I actually had bad luck with chevron gas years ago, maybe it's better now, idk. My old 2010 Evo X had all the monitors for knock, timing, ect.,which is where I got my info from.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I typically run ff from Chevron on 48th st and Broadway or 91 from Chevron on 101 and chaparral. Have had good luck with each. Have actually heard QT is suppose to be decent despite it being cheap though cant speak personally. When I go FI if I dont tune for e54 I'll probably plan on a boostane for each 91 fill up. Did Jon Jr have you drop the meth or is this even with it??

paul_g

I use Chevron Higley & Chandler Heights (Chandler AZ). No issues thus far, no knock, no ping.
I started using it in my 16 Ecoboost mainly because of the DI engine, but started putting it in my 05 S197 GT and my new S550 GT. Like I said, no issues.

I too am from back east where we had 93 from the tap... No such luck here in AZ. Has anyone used Boostane? Thoughts? Noticeable improvement? I probably want to wait until my engine breaks-in before additives... I'm only at 800 miles on the odometer.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I use Chevron Higley & Chandler Heights (Chandler AZ). No issues thus far, no knock, no ping.
I started using it in my 16 Ecoboost mainly because of the DI engine, but started putting it in my 05 S197 GT and my new S550 GT. Like I said, no issues.

I too am from back east where we had 93 from the tap... No such luck here in AZ. Has anyone used Boostane? Thoughts? Noticeable improvement? I probably want to wait until my engine breaks-in before additives... I'm only at 800 miles on the odometer.
The Boostane is really for knock protection on forced induction. Chris runs a p1x so is much more knock sensitive then we are. Honestly on our NA cars Boostane really isn't that beneficial unless you're going max effort and tuning for it.

@paul_g Should definitely consider tuning for flex fuel, at least while NA. Far more beneficial than Boostane.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
This morning I took the plunge and put a 32oz can of Boostane Professional in my tank, then topped off with Chevron 91. I currently have the methanol system disabled and saw 17 degrees of timing at 8.2 lbs of boost (actually saw up to -3 deg negative knock). Car feels very strong, even in this hot weather! Watched the nGauge like hawk driving on the same hill I saw knock at part throttle yesterday....zero knock. This stuff seems to really work! I bought a case of 6 cans and the current plan is just to run a can with each fill up. I just finished up the dual nozzle methanol upgrade and can't wait to see what she likes with some meth! I'll give the Fry's 91 a try next time out since there's one close to me. Thanks to everyone for their responses!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Chevron and shell are the best we have to offer here in the heat. If those aren't cutting it grab the boostane!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
This morning I took the plunge and put a 32oz can of Boostane Professional in my tank, then topped off with Chevron 91. I currently have the methanol system disabled and saw 17 degrees of timing at 8.2 lbs of boost (actually saw up to -3 deg negative knock). Car feels very strong, even in this hot weather! Watched the nGauge like hawk driving on the same hill I saw knock at part throttle yesterday....zero knock. This stuff seems to really work! I bought a case of 6 cans and the current plan is just to run a can with each fill up. I just finished up the dual nozzle methanol upgrade and can't wait to see what she likes with some meth! I'll give the Fry's 91 a try next time out since there's one close to me. Thanks to everyone for their responses!
Is the full container of Boostane required per tank? I thought I saw other members running some equation of a half per tank or some such quantity. Just curious if the same results can be obtained and stretch your supply further.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I drive around with the Cobb tuner attached and usually monitor OAR (octane adjust ratio), timing correction, and/or knock counts. I usually get gas from Circle K and QT as they're closest to my place and didn't notice any differences between them. Unfortunately, there aren't any E54 stations nearby, so I run water/methanol injection. You can get pure methanol from Torco for $4/gal if you bring your own container, and they also have 10% military discount with ID.

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Is the full container of Boostane required per tank? I thought I saw other members running some equation of a half per tank or some such quantity. Just curious if the same results can be obtained and stretch your supply further.
That's a good question. I may play with that a bit on the next tank but wanted to see the result with an entire can. This particular tank of fuel was so bad I just wanted to make the knock stop!

Sponsored

Kmp013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 1990 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 4X4 1971 Chevrolet C20
I work in the "Oil Industry" as a contract engineer, so I work in all the refineries and the distribution terminals on the west coast. I can tell you all the "gasoline" is the same among all the brands. The only difference in the "gasoline" is the additive package from all the different companies. The gasoline is delivered to the Phoenix through two pipelines, One from Texas and one from California. I have worked in the West Phoenix area where all the terminals are for distribution. The additive package is added to the gasoline when it is loaded onto the truck. Also on the west coast, Costco gasoline uses Chevron additive package in their gasoline.

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
I spoke to a tuner about getting a 91 tune and he said the gains would be minimal.. that it wouldn't be worth it since the fuel is so bad down here. Bummer.

OP
OP

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I work in the "Oil Industry" as a contract engineer, so I work in all the refineries and the distribution terminals on the west coast. I can tell you all the "gasoline" is the same among all the brands. The only difference in the "gasoline" is the additive package from all the different companies. The gasoline is delivered to the Phoenix through two pipelines, One from Texas and one from California. I have worked in the West Phoenix area where all the terminals are for distribution. The additive package is added to the gasoline when it is loaded onto the truck. Also on the west coast, Costco gasoline uses Chevron additive package in their gasoline.
So you're saying Costco 91 is identical to Chevron 91? Crazy but it does make sense. I've logged so many different tanks of fuel and i've noticed the Chevron is a tad less sensitive than Costco, Circle K, etc. Hmm...?

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I used to use Costco and Chevron, but I have switched to Shell and have noticed a difference. Performance seems smoother, which might be in my head, but I have definitely been getting about 10%-15% better gas mileage on the Shell. I have switched back to Chevron a couple of times to verify and every time I get similar results.

The Shell V-Power Nitro+ Super Duper Calufragilisticexpealidoceous Premium Gas must be doing something good. It's worth the 10% extra cost IMO.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Flex fuel at Chevron on 48th st and Broadway has been the most consistent in my experience. I'll go an occasional tank of 91 from Shell or Chevron as needed.
Sponsored