Factory Paint Issue - ever had this?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
So I recently became very aware that my car has some weird paint issues on many of the edge surfaces and on multiple panels. Trunk, body, doors, etc all demonstrate this effect pictured below to some degree. Has anyone experienced this?

Paint-Issue-1.jpg
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Looks like that's the bare metal that's been cleared over. The primer and the base paint layer are not there. If you take it back to the dealer, they'll sand it down and touch it up or completely repaint the panel. I would recommend not cutting factory paint if possible.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Looks like that's the bare metal that's been cleared over. The primer and the base paint layer are not there. If you take it back to the dealer, they'll sand it down and touch it up or completely repaint the panel. I would recommend not cutting factory paint if possible.
Thank you very much for the insight. What if I told you this was on part of the trunk, on both doors in various spots, the roof, and on body edges as well? If this was just one spot I could see it being an annoying but simple fix, but this is in so many places! Really appreciate you chiming in!

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Thank you very much for the insight. What if I told you this was on part of the trunk, on both doors in various spots, the roof, and on body edges as well? If this was just one spot I could see it being an annoying but simple fix, but this is in so many places! Really appreciate you chiming in!
The reason I say to not "cut" or remove/repaint factory paint is because aftermarket paint will never be as good unless you dish out a ton of money to a place which will bake it like the factory does. The aftermarket paint will be much softer.

If I were you, I'd first make sure that there is primer underneath the base paint layer. There have been reports of paint flaking off in large chunks because the primer didn't bond to the metal properly.
Not gonna lie, I would lose my mind if I saw this once I purchased the car. Totally unacceptable level of QC. Your first step is to go to the dealer and NOT leave the car with them. See what the service advisor says. I made the mistake of leaving my car with the dealer and they ended up taking it to a body shop to fix the trunk and rear bumper under warranty. They repainted the entire rear end and messed up my paint big time.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks again for the additional info. My car was ordered just for me, and when I picked it up it was bright and shiny and I didn't notice this. Good tip on the body shop, I specifically was very concerned about my paint / it has no swirls & never seen a brush wash, so yes this is pretty horrifying.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
If yours is a 2019, Ford will repaint the entire car under warranty

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Oh wow seriously? I am going in on Tuesday to talk to the dealer. I shared some photos with them and they set up this appointment real quick...

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Yeah, the paint started having problems on my 99 Cobra a few months before the warranty ran out. I took it in and they repainted the whole car. New emblems and everything. Might be important to take it straight to the body shop at the dealership. Let us know.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Only IF authorized... the above is a blanket statement that does not work as it sounds.

All paint issues must first be presented to Ford Service Center. The Service Center then takes pics and provides the concern to Ford via photos taken by the Service Center. IF Ford agrees there are QC or warranty issues, they will authorize proper repairs (or repaint).

There are quite a few Ford GSB’s I have posted in this forum regarding what is and is not covered by Ford for paint concerns. Search my user ID and “GSB”, you’ll find them.

What you have posted in your pics appears to be areas where the paint either did not adhere properly to the sheet metal OR the paint spray was too thin coming out of the Bot at time of application.

I’m pretty sure you have a valid claim.

Make sure that the Service Center uses YOUR pictures as the one you have posted, because your image clearly captures the issues and concerns. If the Service Center takes their own images, those pics MUST be as clear and high definition as yours pointing out the issue, otherwise if the image does not clearly show the concern, Ford will deny the claim regardless if the issue is present. The pics are “tell all” and if the submitted pics don’t relay or convey the extent of the concern, the person at Ford reviewing them “won’t get it” and deny the claim. This isn’t to say a second attempt will be denied, but point is - do it right the first time.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
:crazy:Well, yes, if authorized. We wouldn’t want anyone to do an unauthorized paint job now would we?

Haha

Sponsored
OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Only IF authorized... the above is a blanket statement that does not work as it sounds.

All paint issues must first be presented to Ford Service Center. The Service Center then takes pics and provides the concern to Ford via photos taken by the Service Center. IF Ford agrees there are QC or warranty issues, they will authorize proper repairs (or repaint).

There are quite a few Ford GSB’s I have posted in this forum regarding what is and is not covered by Ford for paint concerns. Search my user ID and “GSB”, you’ll find them.

What you have posted in your pics appears to be areas where the paint either did not adhere properly to the sheet metal OR the paint spray was too thin coming out of the Bot at time of application.

I’m pretty sure you have a valid claim.

Make sure that the Service Center uses YOUR pictures as the one you have posted, because your image clearly captures the issues and concerns. If the Service Center takes their own images, those pics MUST be as clear and high definition as yours pointing out the issue, otherwise if the image does not clearly show the concern, Ford will deny the claim regardless if the issue is present. The pics are “tell all” and if the submitted pics don’t relay or convey the extent of the concern, the person at Ford reviewing them “won’t get it” and deny the claim. This isn’t to say a second attempt will be denied, but point is - do it right the first time.
Thank you so much for your input! I documented with a lot of photos and a macro lens on a dslr which is why it’s so clear. I take the car to ford Tuesday morning so I’ll know something eventually soon. I really appreciate your info!!

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Update to my issue:

I heard back from the dealer. I am authorized by Ford for a complete repaint of my car, removing every panel to do so. Every edge/panel of my car has this paint defect, per the body shop.

The dealer had already tried to initiate a claim for me with Ford Customer Relations about a swap or buyback but were denied, I had to call to do it myself.

The dealer advised me pretty much right away that I wouldn't want this re-painted torn apart car. I am waiting on a call back from the local FMC rep who is handling this from here, but my service advisor/people at the dealership seem pretty confident Ford will do this swap for me.

Ford Customer Relations has escalated my issue and I am told I'll hear about next steps by Monday.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
That's really good for you because like the dealer said, the car wouldn't be the same. The paint wouldn't be as good as a factory (which in your case sucked already).

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's really good for you because like the dealer said, the car wouldn't be the same. The paint wouldn't be as good as a factory (which in your case sucked already).
There is better paint. Not to mention human paint is massively thicker than robot paint. I might take the deal IF I could have the car painted a custom color I wanted, stripes, etc. if I paid the difference. I'm sure Ford wouldn't go for that. Plus they probably want a dealer to do it, and the odds a Ford dealer does the best paint in the vicinity is slim.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
There is better paint. Not to mention human paint is massively thicker than robot paint. I might take the deal IF I could have the car painted a custom color I wanted, stripes, etc. if I paid the difference. I'm sure Ford wouldn't go for that. Plus they probably want a dealer to do it, and the odds a Ford dealer does the best paint in the vicinity is slim.
They have to disassemble all the panels on the car. I do not want all those rattles. I already ordered this car instead of buying on the lot because I wanted the best paint I could get on a factory car. It's never seen a brush car wash. Never planned on taking a panel off for any reason due to previous experiences with rattles. Ford got me in two of the areas I care about most if I kept this car.
Sponsored