Sponsored

GT350 block strength

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Is it any better than the GT's 5.0?

Thanks, and I searched but didn't get any hits for many decent keywords.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For 2020 the GT350 will use the GT500 block and will have great block strength - assuming you are looking to apply boost.

I don't think the block strength is typically an issue for GT350s. Normal failure mode is in other components from what I've seen.

Whether it's stronger than the direct injection version of the Coyote 5.0 - I don't know. I tend to assume so, being that it has to withstand higher power and RPM, but I don't know.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
5.2 block has 8lbs of materials removed from the block. It's lighter and meant for NA power. If you're sleeving, it shouldn't matter too much. Without sleeves, the 5.0 block is a better option for boost.

OP
OP

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Thanks

makes more sense to bin the 5.2 and just build up a 5.0 based engine, then. Could use the GT350 heads, I suppose, they are pretty nifty, but I haven't yet seen if the cams work with a cross plane firing order, or even if it differs.

years to sort this out.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks

makes more sense to bin the 5.2 and just build up a 5.0 based engine, then. Could use the GT350 heads, I suppose, they are pretty nifty, but I haven't yet seen if the cams work with a cross plane firing order, or even if it differs.

years to sort this out.
Got the answer you wanted, I see.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Benefits
  • Improved Water Jackets
  • Improved Crankcase Windage
  • Ready To Assemble
  • Upgraded version of Ford Performance M-6010-M52
Features
  • Wire Arc Spray Weld Liner Coating
  • Oil Squirter Provisions
  • Cross-Bolted Main Caps
  • Deeper 12 mm Cylinder Head Bolts To Provide Greater Clamping Force
What's in the Box
  • (1) 5.2L Coyote Aluminum Cylinder Block
Product Description
Ford Performance 5.2L Aluminum Coyote Cylinder Block
If you are looking to create the baddest coyote based engine, Ford Performance has Updated the 5.2L Voodoo aluminum block. Featuring a 94.0mm bore, your displacement and cubic inches are increased. Ford Performance has specially cast this block with improvements to support higher horsepower Coyote engines. This 5.2L block offers deeper 12 mm cylinder head bolts to provide a greater clamping force. The water jackets below cylinder bore have been improved by adding more material for additional strength. The intake side of the bore at the deck surface includes a cast-in brace to improve the strength of the cylinder walls and decrease the chance of blown head gaskets. An arc spray weld liner coating is applied to all the cylinder walls. This special coating improves durability, increases heat transfer, reduced friction and saves weight compared to the production 5.0L block. This special coating does not require the use of special piston rings or piston material. The cylinder bores are finish-honed and ready to assemble. The cross-bolted nodular iron main bearing caps and 12mm cylinder head bolts ensure that your engine will stay together at high rpm and high load. A provision to add piston oil squirters will help to cool and lubricate pistons under the most extreme use.

Fitment Note
- This block requires the use of 92mm pistons. Factory 5.0L size pistons will not work with this cylinder block.
- Requires the use of GT350 pistons or similar.
- The uses of longer head bolts are required. (M-6067-M501280)
- The use of M-6067-M52B head changing kit will have the long, 12 mm head bolts in it

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I dont think anyone can really answer that question. The stock bores just haven't been pushed that hard. I will say i haven't heard of any boosted GT350s or 2018 5.0s cracking cylinders. Not sure if thats because of the plasma spray bores or if its added material to the block.

I saw a video about some 2000hp+ GTR still running stock block with no sleeves. He said they started sleeving blocks before they even tested them and had nothing but problems. Stayed with stock plasma spray bores and no more problems. Apples and oranges, but its somethin.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, an answer.
Well - starting from the question - you haven't even said what your plans are. I think I gave you a great answer but you were nothing but rude. Based on what you said I don't think you wanted a discussion - which is the best people here are going to be able to do. I doubt a Ford engineer is allowed to come on here and tell us all the details about the differences between the 5.0 and 5.2 blocks.

However, the 5.2 makes more power and it revs to a higher RPM and so the obvious conclusion is that it will be at least somewhat stronger.

I dont think anyone can really answer that question. The stock bores just haven't been pushed that hard. I will say i haven't heard of any boosted GT350s or 2018 5.0s cracking cylinders. Not sure if thats because of the plasma spray bores or if its added material to the block.

I saw a video about some 2000hp+ GTR still running stock block with no sleeves. He said they started sleeving blocks before they even tested them and had nothing but problems. Stayed with stock plasma spray bores and no more problems. Apples and oranges, but its somethin.
:like:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Thanks

years to sort this out.
Voodoo Cams won’t work with the CP crank.
You need the Ford racing cams with the CP firing order .

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Here is a 5.0 .
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...whipple-stage-2-engine-rod-bent.123294/page-2
1C71DE07-C299-40B4-AB28-A6D8B16B473E.png

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I was really meaning strength beyond what has been achieved before with 5.0s. There are gen 2 and 3 coyotes that have made those numbers and more on stock bores. I was talking about numbers in the 1300whp ish and up range which would be clearly beyond the average. Not saying a stock coyote or voodoo couldn't achieve that but from past experience most wont try to push them that hard.

I didnt read all of that thread but the initial cause of that failure is speculation. Even some bone stock motors have failed. At only 600whp it seems plausible something else could have been the cause. When the coyote cylinder cracking was first being seen people were pushing 1000whp ish and tearing down motors with everything else looking fine.

OP
OP

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
Well - starting from the question - you haven't even said what your plans are. I think I gave you a great answer but you were nothing but rude. Based on what you said I don't think you wanted a discussion - which is the best people here are going to be able to do. I doubt a Ford engineer is allowed to come on here and tell us all the details about the differences between the 5.0 and 5.2 blocks.

However, the 5.2 makes more power and it revs to a higher RPM and so the obvious conclusion is that it will be at least somewhat stronger.

:like:

when was I rude? What does it matter what my plans are, obviously pushing a block to the limits of failure via forced induction or other means.

Are you a young person or something? How do you deal with real life?
Sponsored