Mountain biking with an e-Bike

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I reckon I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these, does anyone have any experience with these bikes or have any opinions on similar e-bikes?
eONE-SIXTY_900E_blkanth_MY2019.jpg
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looks pretty stout.

E bikes are pretty much banned at all of our parks. Then again, it’s all flatland with only man-made elevation changes.

I would like to ride an ebike to see the hype.

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Looks pretty stout.

E bikes are pretty much banned at all of our parks. Then again, it’s all flatland with only man-made elevation changes.

They’re a blast, I can’t get the smile of my face when I ride mine.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They’re a blast, I can’t get the smile of my face when I ride mine.
I bet. I’ve seen guys ride them that are substantially older and they breeze past my wheezing ass in the tough stuff. Lol.

How much travel on the one you’re looking at? Looks healthy.

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I bet. I’ve seen guys ride them that are substantially older and they breeze past my wheezing ass in the tough stuff. Lol.

How much travel on the one you’re looking at? Looks healthy.
It’s 160 front and 155 rear. Front fork is the best part on the whole bike, it’s the most motocross and plush I’ve ever ridden on an MTB.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It’s just cheating in my opinion. I MTB for a workout and sport, the challenge to push myself to the limit!
Also, What happens in mud or when you need to pick up your bike over fallen trees.
Just seems to be unneeded technology for the single track world. Best for street or gravel trails maybe.

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
It’s just cheating in my opinion. I MTB for a workout and sport, the challenge to push myself to the limit!
Also, What happens in mud or when you need to pick up your bike over fallen trees.
Just seems to be unneeded technology for the single track world. Best for street or gravel trails maybe.
Not really sure about the cheating part, against who?
What it does allow is a broad number of people who may have an injury, arthritis, prosthetic, elderly or just the simply the unfit to get fitter out on the trails. If you saw some of the endless goat trail climbs where I live you'd be happy for some assistance every now and then. What I have found for me is it allows me to ride further and for longer, I'm a fairly fit bloke and I still make it tough on myself but sometimes on those 15 minute 300 meter climbs its a godsend.
Also there is a walk feature (6kph) that allows for you to push it up hills or over logs if necessary. You'd be surprised how many are being sold now with every single manufacturer producing them even hard core brands like Intense.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, you make a good case as these are all valid points and purposes for an E-bike. If it helps more people experience single track mountain biking and how good it feels to be out in the woods away from the stress of the daily grind then I'm good with it as long as they don't over crowd the trails.

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
Looks pretty stout.

Banned? Why so? I figured they would be something great for someone who is unable to pedal alot but likes to ride (elderly maybe?)

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Banned? Why so? I figured they would be something great for someone who is unable to pedal alot but likes to ride (elderly maybe?)
Some have “no e bike” signs posted. I’m guessing because our trails are typically very narrow and it could cause a lot of congestion and riders may get irritated getting passed 100x a ride.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Some have “no e bike” signs posted. I’m guessing because our trails are typically very narrow and it could cause a lot of congestion and riders may get irritated getting passed 100x a ride.
I find the banning concept strange for a ebike for the reasons you have posted, firstly:

1. An ebike is the same size as a regular bike, it's just heavier.
2. There are faster and slower riders on regular bikes, and as such people on regular bikes that are going faster than someone in front will want to go past them, even on narrow trails. They just wait for the opportunity to do so.
3. ebikes aren't always faster, 20kph is 20kph, an expert on a regular bike might be able to do 20kph over a patch of snotty ground and the ebike rider may also be able to do 20kph over the same ground when he normally wouldn't be able to. ebikes provide assistance, they don't fly along over any terrain at 70kph. They are limited to 25 and 30 kph assistance depending on the country in which you live. I can do 40 kph on my non ebike MTB on certain sections of track.

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I find the banning concept strange for a ebike for the reasons you have posted, firstly:

1. An ebike is the same size as a regular bike, it's just heavier.
2. There are faster and slower riders on regular bikes, and as such people on regular bikes that are going faster than someone in front will want to go past them, even on narrow trails. They just wait for the opportunity to do so.
3. ebikes aren't always faster 20kph is 20kph, an expert on a regular bike might be able to do 20kph over a patch of snotty ground on a regular bike and the ebike rider may also be able to do 20kph over the same ground when he normally wouldn't be able to. ebikes prove assistance, they don't fly along over any terrain at 70kph. They are limited to 25 and 30 kph assistance depending on the country in which you live. I can do 40 kph on my non ebike MTB on certain sections of track.
I agree. I think it’s weird and while I get the purists may not want to see them on the trails, I think it’s silly to penalize someone who has the means or preference to ride an ebike. MTB needs more exposure and riders to keep evolving. Shouldn’t matter if it’s assisted or not.

It’s like having a NA vs forced induction conversation with someone who is so hardcore “no replacement for displacement” that they scoff at power adder cars. lol.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
I hate ebikes

I ride trail, nobody can touch me because it's about handling and bike control, but this will change as I age and more and more bogans can afford these ebike monstrosities...

I'll enjoy the good times while they last.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm all for ebikes on the trail as long as I can bring a motorcycle. 500 cc.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
exactly - that's why ORV parks exist.

Ah well like I said, humans are too idiotic, it will all go to shit in due time, right before we all become extinct LOL!
Sponsored