Sponsored

Lund tune with issues???

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Gents, can we keep the alpha male soapboxing to a minimum please.
If you post an opinion, fine, but lets not back it up with provocation.
The forum values your information and input, but oneupmanship is not necessary.
But it gets a bit boring without the multiple Yuvi's and the big dog! How can we have fun otherwise? :lol:
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Devils advocate, but even those aren't a reliable comparison in a lot of instances. They're affected by how it's strapped down, tyres, temperature on the day. Even back to back comparisons from 1 car to another they can be tied down differently and therefore the results can be skewed.

Hub dyno's are pretty much the only thing that can mitigate some of the risk of disparity imo. Not sure how many tuners use them though tbh?
Herrod uses a hub dyno I think, but their dyno has a reputation of being a little bit happy.

But you are 100% correct a dyno isn't always the most accurate reading either but it gives you an idea of the power, speed and quarter times are affected by far too many things. Driver mod is probably the biggest thing.

For Burkey to claim that he has the record I would say a large portion of that is down to driver mod because he does seem to race the car a fair bit.

For example my car was sold to a guy who has out raced cars far outside the realms of the Mustang (GT3, 458, MP4-12c etc), I know for an absolute fact that my car is never in a million years on the same level as them cars, but combined with him being a very good driver and them being less capable it puts them on an even playing field.

As long as you enjoy your car... what ever it is (for me its not a mustang anymore) thats all that matters imo.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Herrod uses a hub dyno I think, but their dyno has a reputation of being a little bit happy.

But you are 100% correct a dyno isn't always the most accurate reading either but it gives you an idea of the power, speed and quarter times are affected by far too many things. Driver mod is probably the biggest thing.

For Burkey to claim that he has the record I would say a large portion of that is down to driver mod because he does seem to race the car a fair bit.

For example my car was sold to a guy who has out raced cars far outside the realms of the Mustang (GT3, 458, MP4-12c etc), I know for an absolute fact that my car is never in a million years on the same level as them cars, but combined with him being a very good driver and them being less capable it puts them on an even playing field.

As long as you enjoy your car... what ever it is (for me its not a mustang anymore) thats all that matters imo.
This is a genuine question as I do agree that there are a lot of variables in drag times (and dynos) but isn't that generally why they look at trap speed? I thought that was a fair indication of performance as even the 60ft times etc don't impact that greatly? Even if someone is slow to react, they're sure as hell hammering it so trap speed is a good tell to a degree?

The issue even with hub dynos from my understanding (so probably in the case of herrod) is when they try to adjust the outputs using some sort of correction value - Is that right? Assuming 1:1 gear is used you'd think you wouldn't have any corrections going on/needed but my knowledge scope doesn't include that so i'm sure i'm missing something there

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Guys, I asked if Lund had issues with there tune because back when the BF BOSS motor was out, I had a bench tune at the time thru (don't want to say) using the good old capa sct hand held. It was nothing but issues till I got blue power to tune it and got it perfect... that's the only reason I asked if these email tunes have been good so far. I got my answer, so thank you to all of you. The boys down at blue power have tuned all my cars in the past from V8s to turbo and four cylinders and all have been perfect... can't fault them and that's my opinion.

Sponsored

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Please refrain from your outbursts .
Our company has been tuning vehicles for over 25 years continuously.
Streetfighter is the preferred performance manufacturer and tuning company for new Mustang packages for numerous Ford dealerships around Australia.
We have worked with V8 supercars teams and have 3 out of the top 4 fastest Australian street performance production vehicles every tested by Motor magazine (including Mustang). We also manufactured OEM components for Ford , Holden and Toyota as well as aftermarket performance products.
All our results are independently tested by experts and professionals in the field. All our tunes and packages offer optional 3 Year Drive-line Warranties.
Our Street performance tuning and vehicle packages are based on performance, and long term reliability. As mentioned, our tunes are customized for street performance. Should you require a specific Ethanol race /drag/track/burnout comp etc tune we can customize to do so.
From this , I believe that we have some experience to make comments on forum and welcome differing opinions and discussion.

We respect companies like Lund and other U.S companies, however it seems as there is a a strong backlash by several against others companies (seemingly Australian) also marketing their own products.

If you are going to make a comment like you did, please back it .
What "shit" exactly did we talk .
Sorry David, but your response comes over like a spoiled little child.

I don't know which PR school you went to, but the manner in which you have responded here is not winning you any new friends.

I'm guessing your business does not rely on good PR to keep you going.

I read these pages, and am modding my car. At some point as I am not looking at blowing my car, I will tweak as an NA and likely get a tune.

With your attitude (and is not just this post I have read) I won't be touching your company with a barge pole.

Mate, you need to learn how to cop a complaint and negative feedback and deal with it better.

Trying to respond as you have... I'm in disbelief.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
LOL [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] how many times did you want me to repeat the same troubles. Ordered a product and never received the product. Internet transactions are based on trust blah blah.

If you are getting great results from lund then that's good for you but there is no way you can say that a canned tune is better than a custom. Every engine is slightly different in its own way. Through a custom tune I found out some interesting things about cylinders 7 and 8 in my old car which was accounted for in the tune.

But surely they must be paying you by now, between you and [MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION] you should have the Australian sponsorship locked down
Oh look, Ken Bjonnes can monitor knock from the other side of the planet without the car being on a dyno. I wonder if any of the other tuners can provide such magic....:doh:
(Ken used to work for Lund for those who don't know)

https://www.facebook.com/palmbeachdyno/videos/2016841991974674/

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Im not a seasoned drag racer by ANY stretch of the imagination. The slips below are from my second-ever competition. (Haven't competed since)

Forget about times. Seriously. Pay attention to trap speed AND time.
The trap speed method predicts the Hp of a stock Mustang (and any other car you care to mention) fairly precisely although less so on a 10 speed auto.
I won't go into it.
I'd trust the trap method any day of the week over a dyno chart. I've done passes 7/10ths slower (mass wheelspin) and still clocked over 93 MPH. The shit works.

Below is 3 slips, all from the same day, about 15 degrees ambient separating them in total. 1/8th mile obviously. If a 15 degree variation can't produce more than half a tenth on the 1/8th, I don't know how to satisfy you. Note the almost zero variation in trap speed also, despite 60ft time variations that would suggest to the newbie that the runs SHOULD differ.
As an FYI, I couldn't drive my car badly enough to trap as low as most of the stuff coming out of workshops across Australia.
There ARE exceptions of course, Harrop being a prime example. The claims they make are very close to the reality on the strip, but more broadly speaking, the results don't add up to the claims on the dyno charts.

Peak power is only one part of the equation.
Another part of the equation is what strategies are left in the tune and what's taken out and, more importantly, what happens when you slip that magical fuse back in (or reconnnect the plug) after its taken off the rollers.
These cars use torque based tuning. I'll let you join the dots.
Meanwhile, there are cars out there claiming something like 675hp, yet they only trap 3-4 mph faster than mine. Again, join the dots. It's NOT the driver, it's not the weather.
Trap speed is MUCH harder to mess up than ET.
(Thanks for the trophy, haven't earned one in YEARS) :love:
IMG_2159.JPG

Last edited:

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Sorry David, but your response comes over like a spoiled little child.

I don't know which PR school you went to, but the manner in which you have responded here is not winning you any new friends.

I'm guessing your business does not rely on good PR to keep you going.

I read these pages, and am modding my car. At some point as I am not looking at blowing my car, I will tweak as an NA and likely get a tune.

With your attitude (and is not just this post I have read) I won't be touching your company with a barge pole.

Mate, you need to learn how to cop a complaint and negative feedback and deal with it better.

Trying to respond as you have... I'm in disbelief.
I agree with you in your statement "trying to respond"
As a company that has always relied on face to face verbal communication it becomes difficult to respond as you intend , to forum feedback that questions the integrity of your company.
The cornerstone of our company is honesty, and sometimes in the interest of defending it, is best not to respond, as it may be explained and come across in a different light than intended.
Thank you for your observation and advice. I will take it on board.

OP
OP

OHHHSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT vert & 2018 Fury GT Vert & 2020 grabber Lime GT Vert
Social media has become the new scare for any business as bad publicity is the worst thing any company has to deal with... doesn't take much to tip over any company...

Sponsored

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Im not a seasoned drag racer by ANY stretch of the imagination. The slips below are from my second-ever competition. (Haven't competed since)

Forget about times. Seriously. Pay attention to trap speed AND time.
The trap speed method predicts the Hp of a stock Mustang (and any other car you care to mention) fairly precisely although less so on a 10 speed auto.
I won't go into it.
I'd trust the trap method any day of the week over a dyno chart. I've done passes 7/10ths slower (mass wheelspin) and still clocked over 93 MPH. The shit works.

Below is 3 slips, all from the same day, about 15 degrees ambient separating them in total. 1/8th mile obviously. If a 15 degree variation can't produce more than half a tenth on the 1/8th, I don't know how to satisfy you. Note the almost zero variation in trap speed also, despite 60ft time variations that would suggest to the newbie that the runs SHOULD differ.
As an FYI, I couldn't drive my car badly enough to trap as low as most of the stuff coming out of workshops across Australia.
There ARE exceptions of course, Harrop being a prime example. The claims they make are very close to the reality on the strip, but more broadly speaking, the results don't add up to the claims on the dyno charts.

Peak power is only one part of the equation.
Another part of the equation is what strategies are left in the tune and what's taken out and, more importantly, what happens when you slip that magical fuse back in (or reconnnect the plug) after its taken off the rollers.
These cars use torque based tuning. I'll let you join the dots.
Meanwhile, there are cars out there claiming something like 675hp, yet they only trap 3-4 mph faster than mine. Again, join the dots. It's NOT the driver, it's not the weather.
Trap speed is MUCH harder to mess up than ET.
(Thanks for the trophy, haven't earned one in YEARS) :love:
IMG_2159.JPG
No 1/4 mile track near you?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No 1/4 mile track near you?
Correct. Nearest 1/4 is over 200kms away.
Went there last month (first time on the 1/4 with the current combo), got one TERRIBLE pass in before breaking an axle on the second launch. Went 11.3 @ 129.
The pass was 4 tenths and 4mph slower than usual by the time I reached the 1/8th mile.
My estimates put it around 10.7 @ 135 on a decent run.
An auto on radials would be a lot quicker again.

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
so I guess you've made some changes from those 1/8 mile slips

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
sorry, just realised your car is blown

Davidj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Some very strong backers of mail order tunes around here, how interesting. They're not the worst thing in the world if the car is relatively factory and you don't have a reputable tuner in your area. There are times when a mail order tune from a large & highly experienced outfit is even preferred over a custom tune, for example when the only local tuner available to you has little experience with the engine and driveline. The large and reputable local shops (KPM in this thread for example) will have their own base tunes which are then adjusted on the dyno - they're all different.

It's also not just about getting the most out of it, it's about knowing how far you can safely push it. Lund will have a fairly good idea how far is far enough, many times the smaller inexperienced outfits don't know where the edge is. The first ZF tunes on XR6Ts were a great example, broken input shafts all over the place whereas it simply wasn't happening with the larger outfits because they had the experience. It wasn't a matter of simply pulling all of the torque reduction out of the shifts, they'd do a few passes and then break. Then there was the way that some engines would get valve float, others wouldn't. That is to say, particularly with forced induction I'd never tune something without checking it on the dyno. N/A you're reasonably safe but I'd still always go with a reputable local shop before running with a mail order job.
Sponsored