Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Ice packs and rolling my foot on a tennis ball is what worked for me.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My biggest suggestion with any injury that you are having trouble recovering from is to go to a physical therapist. Every time I end up at physical therapy for something I am impressed by how quickly they are able to solve the problem. I also kick myself for not going sooner.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Podiatrist here, I see this condition every day and it can vary from quite mild to very disabling.

With regards to the name, Plantar Fasciitis; the Plantar Fascia is a ligament like band spanning from the calcaneus heel bone to the bases of all five toes via the plantar plates. It helps stabilise the arch and toes especially at toe off during gait. We are starting to use the term Plantar Heel Pain as there is little if any inflammatory component to this condition as the structure becomes enlarged and degenerative. More recently, MRI studies are showing bone oedema in the calcaneus in some patients.

Regardless, the condition is painful and typically presents as 'first step' pain after rest at the base of the heel and sometimes extending into the arch itself.

I would always assess three things to start with;

Footwear. Shoes should have a strong shank where you cannot bend the shoe in half in the arch section. The heel counter should be strong and a cushioned mid-sole and insole are preferable.

Calf length. Tight calf muscles play a role here as the foot will pronate during mid-stance to compensate for reduced ankle dorsiflexion from a tight calf. This is a great way to overload your plantar fascia so not desirable. Do good calf stretches, not ballistic, just long and gentle.

Foot function. Feet that over pronate may need orthotic support. Less common are feet that supinate and these sometimes present with heel pain although less commonly. It's the pronators you mostly see. Orthoses look like a simple arch supports but should take into account how much medial support the foot needs to control the sub-talar joint and ideally lock up the mid-tarsal joint for stability into propulsion. Specific Low Dye taping of the arch can really help patients in the initial phase of treatment.

Beyond this some isometric exercises where you hold a heel raise onto your toes for 10sec and slowly lower back to the ground (eccentric component of the exercise) and repeat for a minute will help rehabilitate the plantar fascia.

This is a condition that gets better but you need identify why the plantar fascia became unhappy in the first place. Often the answer is in those three things I assess first.

Roderickkacobson34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernestine
Vehicle(s)
X5
I've got bad feet, one doc said plantar fasciitis but other podiatrist have never mentioned it. Either way I've got constant foot pain

I too am on my feet all day. Depending on schedule demands i at times work7days a weed, 75 hours. I've walked 22000 steps in a shift before, currently working 8 hours a day and averaging about 8-10k steps a day

I wear carhartt shoes and they're the best shoes I've ever owned. The full bubble Nike air max i used to like but they don't last for crap anymore and these put the nike to shame

I don't remember paying 145, so maybe shop around for pricing or maybe price went up.

http://www.carhartt.com/products/ca...erproof-Composite-Toe-Work-Hiker-Shoe-CMO3356
THX for Carhartt!

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I've tried several shoe brands in search for the ultimate all day foot support and in the end I always trend back to my Columbia lowcut hikers..especially the older models that I can find on Ebay in old stock..gonna miss that type of shoe as now most of them are about making feather light spaceage foam and gel shoes
Sponsored