Sponsored

Got a visit from a LEO today about my Mustang

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
OP - Grab a dash cam that records your speed so at any point if the LEO comes back, you can easily pull footage showing your speed through the neighborhood.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
LEO: Someone complained about a Black Mustang ripping thru the neighborhood and if your doing that, you need to stop.

Me: Fair enough but I’m not ripping thru the neighborhood. My wife and daughters drive faster than I do in there Honda’s and Subaru’s. So who complained ?

LEO: I can’t tell you that. If they press charges then I’ll tell you.

Me: Well okay and have a great day
Throwing the wife and daughters under the bus...lol

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
You're right though, just because the registered owner's license is suspended does not mean they are operating the vehicle at that time so you don't really have any reason for a stop unless you have some sort of violation, but that article was from Canada so not sure what the motor vehicle laws are up in that area.
This depends on where you live. Where I am LEO can stop based solely on the license status of the owner... for now at least. This case is currently being reviewed in the higher courts.

State of IL v Barnes

" While it is clear that the constitution will not permit the police to make random stops to check on driving status, it will permit the stop when an "articulable basis amounting to reasonable suspicion that the driver is unlicensed" exists. (Delaware v. Prouse (1979), 440 U.S. 648, 661, 59 L. Ed. 2d 660, 672, 99 S. Ct. 1391, 1400.) Here, that articulable basis existed due to the information that the vehicle owner has a suspended license. If the police are not allowed to stop and investigate under these circumstances, then they are seriously limited in investigating suspension violations. There are few, if any, additional steps the police can use to get more information to justify a stop.

We hold that it is appropriate for a police officer to stop a vehicle and investigate the driving status of the driver based on information that the owner of the vehicle has a suspended driver's license.

Affirmed."

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
The roads are lawless in South Florida. Only in the really rich neighborhoods do they give out speeding tickets. The LEO's here rely on civilian surveillance.

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
04 40th Ann Mustang, 2015 Mustang
Thank's for sharing,that was a real nice story,I really enjoyed reading it,very entertaining,you could also post some pictures of it.
I am 72 and have lived around loud noise most of my life starting with my Mother, then 14 motorcycles, boats, flown 95 different kind of aircraft, yes loud music and Tampa Fl's Gasparilla. I owned a 2004 Anniversary Special Mustang until it got hit from behind 3 months ago and am getting a 2017 Black V6 Mustang. The loud exhaust system will get to you after while. My hearing in my left ear is about 20% and right ear about 50%. You may thing all mocho and all that nonsince but I don't care what you think, our bodies are a one use item, screw it up and you life with it. Take care of your hearing and although you enjoy the loud pipes be very careful with its use.
Dave

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I get tailgated all the time in my neighborhood, while doing the posted speed of 25. People simply don't care. And 25 isn't always appropriate, either. If there are kids near the edge of the street and cars parked on both sides, blind curves, etc. It depends on the situation as to what is a safe speed. There are places out in open country where 100 mph is relatively safe (although arguing that point might be a hard sell to a LEO).

redwolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redwolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The roads are lawless in South Florida. Only in the really rich neighborhoods do they give out speeding tickets. The LEO's here rely on civilian surveillance.
I thought only FHP gave out speeding tickets in South Florida. I did have a local LEO pull me over about 3 blocks from work on my way home a couple of weeks ago. She claimed that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I replied that I clearly remembered putting my seatbelt on in the parking lot at work before I left, and I still had it on. She ran my tags and license and let me go.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Dude a stop sign is not, slow down and stop if necessary. It's a stop. You stop. At 5 miles per hour, you're covering 7.5 feet per second. Most crosswalks are 14 feet. So at your 5 miles per hour, before you react and stop, you're in the crosswalk. There are reasons they are there. You're right, some people shouldn't be on the road, and it's people that think that rules don't apply to them.
I don't even look to see what's coming until I've STOPPED. As for counting to three - nope. Nowhere on the sign is PAUSE, either. STOP means STOP, not PARK. If something's coming, I wait.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope that you get some lessons to improve your driving abilities and perhaps glasses so you can properly read and see the stop sign.

Just in case you are confused what a stop sign means:

A stop sign is a traffic sign designed to notify drivers that they must come to a complete stop and make sure no other vehicles are coming and no pedestrians are crossing before proceeding.
Don't forget that weird shape - octagon, as I recall.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
After a certain amount of experience a thoughtful driver will be able to pick a safe speed for most situations. It's not always faster than the posted limits. Since I found my digital speedometer (right next to the miles-to-empty display) I learned that a safe speed in my car-lined kid-play blind-corner street is just over ten mph. There's a young man who drives his suburban at about four times that speed, and has taught his wife to do the same. I suggested they shouild slow down, and they rolled their eyes and turned away. Went slower for a few days, but are back at it now.

I believe I read somewhere that municipalities check speeds on ordinary streets, and post limitis according to what 80% of the traffic is traveling. They changed one sort-of-main street from a 25 zone to a 30, which I thought was reasonable, but I noticed that even with the higher limit I was still doing 25 down that street. After a couple of months they changed the signing back to 25, which my unconscious driving mind had chosen without my instructing it to do so.

On the subject of digital speedometer in a Mustang GT, where does it get its information? Wheel revolutions? GPS data? In any case, how accurate is it, how trustworthy?

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After a certain amount of experience a thoughtful driver will be able to pick a safe speed for most situations. It's not always faster than the posted limits. Since I found my digital speedometer (right next to the miles-to-empty display) I learned that a safe speed in my car-lined kid-play blind-corner street is just over ten mph. There's a young man who drives his suburban at about four times that speed, and has taught his wife to do the same. I suggested they shouild slow down, and they rolled their eyes and turned away. Went slower for a few days, but are back at it now.

I believe I read somewhere that municipalities check speeds on ordinary streets, and post limitis according to what 80% of the traffic is traveling. They changed one sort-of-main street from a 25 zone to a 30, which I thought was reasonable, but I noticed that even with the higher limit I was still doing 25 down that street. After a couple of months they changed the signing back to 25, which my unconscious driving mind had chosen without my instructing it to do so.

On the subject of digital speedometer in a Mustang GT, where does it get its information? Wheel revolutions? GPS data? In any case, how accurate is it, how trustworthy?
Accuracy is OK. Reading may come from the diff tone ring or the front wheel speed sensor. My guess is the ring gear. That's how my Ram works. Compare it to your GPS gadget for a while. Mine actually read a pinch high, which surprised me. Haven't compared since I put the 245/50s on.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought only FHP gave out speeding tickets in South Florida. I did have a local LEO pull me over about 3 blocks from work on my way home a couple of weeks ago. She claimed that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I replied that I clearly remembered putting my seatbelt on in the parking lot at work before I left, and I still had it on. She ran my tags and license and let me go.
I got out of a ticket some years ago because I was wearing the belt during "Click it or ticket" week.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't even look to see what's coming until I've STOPPED. As for counting to three - nope. Nowhere on the sign is PAUSE, either. STOP means STOP, not PARK. If something's coming, I wait.
Yep, no minimum time BUT a noticeable time may be in order. It was a right turn on red and not a stop sign, but In '91 or '92 I got a ticket for not stopping because the cop I was looking right into the face of turned his head to his partner when I stopped. Based on my speed when he turned back, he concluded I did not stop. But I was driving my Syclone which was capable of astonishing all-wheel no-drama acceleration. Fortunately, the judge was fascinated that I had a track data recorder and throwing chain of custody to the wind, accepted the print out as proof I was stopped for 2 MS. He also annoyed the cop and the city attorney no end by grilling me on the Syclone and going on about how much he wanted one. LoL

Last edited:

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My personal rule is; never break a law if anyone can see you. and, there aren't many places one can do a second gear pull without breaking a law . . .
Sponsored