cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Hi everyone!

Brand new to the Mustang community as an owner, but I've always had a love for Fords. I always dreamed of owning a Mustang, so when the opportunity presented itself in late 2018 I pulled the trigger.

So after reading the title I'm sure you're asking the question, "Why a twin turbo V6? Why not just buy a GT for the same or more power?" I have 2 answers to that question:
1. I needed a car in a short amount of time when my previous car was totaled (R.I.P. 2015 Focus ST). The insurance company cut me a check just shy of $17k and I happened to find my Mustang online with an asking price of $16k. Talked the previous owner down just a tad and the car was mine.
2. I absolutely love working on cars and have wrenched on or at the very leased changed the oil myself in every vehicle I or my family has owned. I wanted to tackle this project because I don't see many people doing this online.

So about the car:
It is a 2017 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 with a manual transmission. I purchased the car in December of 2018 with 21k miles and a cracked windshield. Other than some very superficial rock chips on the front, the car was pristine. It was bought new by an older lady who didn't seem like she pushed it hard and had a full service documentation.

Here is the car the day I brought it home (feat. my girlfriend as excited as I was):
bJBYekX.jpg

I got the windshield replaced and changed the oil. I checked all other fluids and gave the car a proper wash, claybar, and wax:
OmO4w6a.jpg

I'm not a fan of amber lights on most cars, so my girlfriend got me sequential front turn signals for Christmas that appear white when the running lights are on:

cZHrQ5t.jpg

After that, I just HAD to change the silver wheels to black. New wheels are definitely coming, but for the time being I resprayed them black with Dupli-Color wheel coating. I also pained the calipers (yes I left the break pads in, embarassing rookie mistake. They will be replaced soon):
1T0my2Z.jpg

And this is how the car sits today! My next post will be a breakdown of what I have and don't have for the turbo project and a breakdown of the expected timeline.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
cobo10201

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
So, details on the twin turbos.

I purchased a kit from Super Six Motorsports that adapts the turbochargers from the 2011-2014 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost trucks to the 3.7L Cyclone V6. It comes with adapter plates for the manifolds, braided lines for oil, and all fittings required to adapt the turbos to the engine. It also includes an extremely detailed parts list and step-by-step instructions for installation. They also provide resources for tuning and where to purchase parts.

My brother and I will be documenting the process on his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/hackmandude12 (not a plug, I swear).

What I have so far:
- Twin-turbo adapter kit
- Silicone coupler and clamps for left charge pipe
- Silicone coupler, clamps, and hose joiner for right charge pipe
- Steel piping, couplers, and clamps to assemble intake piping (from intercooler to intake manifold)
- Clamps for air filter

What I still need to purchase (items listed are specifically mentioned by the Super Six kit):
- Left and right F-150 exhaust manifolds, turbos, flanges, and oil supply/drain assembly. I am going with 2013-14 F-150 turbos. They lack the built in blow-off valve that the 2011-12 turbos have, but are more efficient and typically have less miles on them from a wrecker.
- Left and right F-150 charge pipes
- CX Racing IC-0012 intercooler, dual 2.5" inlets, 3" outlet and various nuts, bolts, and spacers to mount intercooler to bumper
- TurboSmart Race Port universal blow off valve with steel mounting flange
- TurboSmart Boost Tee, manual 8-9 PSI. The kit recommends the boost tee for 93 octane tune, or the TurboSmart eBoost Street for 12-14 PSI with an E85 tune. I am opting for 8-9 PSI with 93 octane for the time because I do still plan to use this as a daily driver.
- x2 K&N RX-4040 conical air filters
- Cold air intake assembly: 6' length, 2" diameter double wall flexible hose and re-purposed exhaust hangers to mount air filters
- DeatschWerks 16U-0065-6 65 lb/hr fuel injectors
- VMP tuning fuel pump booster
- Procharger AIFT11-025 MAP sensor and EC005A-009 MAP sensor mod
- Oil catch can
- 12 ft 7/32" vacuum hose
- 4 ft 9/32" vacuum hose
- 2015 Mustang GT oil cooler (Hayden 459)
- NGK LTR71X-11 spark plugs, gapped to 0.03"
- Various gaskets: 3.7L exhaust manifolds, 3.5L exhaust manifolds, turbochargers, exhaust adapters, oil manifolds

As for a timeline, I recently got a significant pay increase at work so with each paycheck I will be buying more parts. The plan is to have all parts ordered and in my possession by August 1st. We will start the installation early August and plan to be finished by mid August. I have reached out to MPT Performance (recommended by Super Six due to experience tuning twin turbo V6 Mustangs) and given them my timeline so that we can work out a day to tune the car. They are located in Florida and I am in Houston, so we have to set something up remotely.

I am EXTREMELY excited to embark on this project and can't wait to post my experiences here. I hope others are interested and maybe this thread can help people who undertake a project like this in the future. Feel free to ask any questions or give any advice!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum and good luck on the build, we've had one or two guys on here run the Eco Twin Turbo build, but we also have a stickied thread in the V6 forum if you haven't seen it already: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/3-7-forced-induction.100342/

Hopefully your build meets your needs, but if not, you might want to consider either a JMP (twin or single) or NPG (single only so far) turbo kit instead.

OP
OP
cobo10201

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Welcome to the forum and good luck on the build, we've had one or two guys on here run the Eco Twin Turbo build, but we also have a stickied thread in the V6 forum if you haven't seen it already: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/3-7-forced-induction.100342/

Hopefully your build meets your needs, but if not, you might want to consider either a JMP (twin or single) or NPG (single only so far) turbo kit instead.
Thanks for that thread! I hadn’t seen it. Thanks for the welcome.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This sounds like a cool build. Good luck.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Cool build, the cyclone V6 sounds fantastic with some pipes on it. Goin to be pretty awesome when you're done.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I always like seeing someone do something different, keep us updated man.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Welcome! You have come at a good time. Many 3.7 members, to include myself, are presently working on various Twin Turbo projects. Read up on the thread Nagare linked you too and post updates there as well. You will see a lot of stuff there to help you in this project. We are here to group think and help each other out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cobo10201

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
So I’m a little bit behind schedule and don’t have any new pictures yet , but I have purchased all the parts to complete the build with the exception of the tuner! I have one package left to be delivered that contains the F-150 charge pipes and turbo oil drain assemblies.

My plan is to use the car lift in my parents’ barn, but my brother just dropped the engine and subframe/suspension out of his project last week, so his car is stuck on the lift until everything goes back in. The plan is for him to be done mid to late September and that’s when we’ll start working on the Mustang!

OP
OP
cobo10201

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Well... LKQ messed up my order. I had all the parts shipped to my parents' house and everything was delivered about 1-2 weeks ago. I actually hadn't gone to see the parts until today. LKQ sent me 3 right-sided turbos and 1 left-sided exhaust manifold... I sent an email earlier so hopefully this gets corrected before by brother's project is off the lift.

EYevngk.jpg

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
What uear turbos you get? I have you followed the 3.7 Forced Induction thread? We have business link to update those stock turbos and help alleviate the biggest issue with this conversion.

OP
OP
cobo10201

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
What uear turbos you get? I have you followed the 3.7 Forced Induction thread? We have business link to update those stock turbos and help alleviate the biggest issue with this conversion.
I went with 13-14 turbos. I am following the thread but must have missed the post you’re talking about. I’ll take another look!

Edit: actually, if you’re talking about Turbobay I did see that. Is it really worth it to get them upgraded?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Shop called Turbobay. Its good you have the 13-14s. You can have the turbos upgraded by them for a decent price.
Sponsored