Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Changes in DI operation, fuel pressure, and the amount of flow can cause all kinds of different sounds in a pump. Especially a pump that is mechanically driven and operating at very high pressures like this. You can hear the obvious high pitched clicking sound, but there is an under-tonal drone that sounds exactly like the 2k rattle. At least compared to my car it sounds virtually identical.
I respect what you are saying but I donā€™t think what Iā€™m hearing is fuel demand generated.
Is the DI or the PI a mechanical pump? I thought they were electric pumps.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I respect what you are saying but I donā€™t think what Iā€™m hearing is fuel demand generated.
Is the DI or the PI a mechanical pump? I thought they were electric pumps.
The 2018+ is a mechanical plunger type high pressure fuel pump mounted on top of the engine, which is driven off a lobe on the camshaft. So, yes, they are very noisy at certain rpm's. That video I added is exactly what they sound like at various rpm ranges.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
The 2018+ is a mechanical plunger type high pressure fuel pump mounted on top of the engine, which is driven off a lobe on the camshaft. So, yes, they are very noisy at certain rpm's. That video I added is exactly what they sound like at various rpm ranges.
Both the pi & di are mechanical? Interesting good to know. Thought efi was electric & pump in the tank. The DI must be mechanical then? I can hear the DI all the time.... different local and sound than my rattle
That video sounds nothing like my car. Yours sounds like it?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Both the pi & di are mechanical? Interesting good to know. Thought efi was electric & pump in the tank. The DI must be mechanical then? I can hear the DI all the time.... different local and sound than my rattle
That video sounds nothing like my car. Yours sounds like it?
Mine does. I may get my daughter to rev the engine for me and listen with a stehoscope to verify if that's the case. Sure sounds like it to me though.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
This could go on forever. Bottom line! FORD FIX THIS AND MOVE ON, PERIOD.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I asked a guy on YouTube who did a lockout video, and he said it didn't get rid of the rattle.

I'm starting to think it's more of a DI pump issue, since it's a mechanically lobe driven pump at 2,000psi. There must be a spot where it starts to get noisy when the injectors are starting to kick in around 1,800rpm, then goes away when the DI system is fully activated over 2,500rpm.

In fact, I think the rattle we are hearing in the 5.0L is similar to the rattling you also hear from a noisy Ecoboost high pressure GDI pump. Once the DI system is fully engaged at high rpm, that noise smooths out somewhat, and is also drowned out by the engine noise combined.

I really hope it isn't the DI pump. When these pumps make rattling noises, it is usually due to cavitation. Cavitation is very damaging for an HP pump.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I always used Mobil 1 5W20. Believe it or not Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 5W30 purchased at Walmart. Read both containers of what was listed in the contents and yes they are the same except for the name. But wait there's more the Walmart Brand is exactly half the price of Mobil 1 and it was not on sale.

As a side note I took a cruise to North Myrtle Beach for some shopping 53 miles one way from my home in Ocean Isle Beach. A total of 106 miles most at 70 miles an hour the engine is still pretty quiet. Go Figure!
A little update I just turned 1000 miles since switching to SuperTech 5W30 from Walmart. My ride is still super quiet and the oil level is spot on.

Last edited:

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
A little update I just turned 1000 miles since switching to SuperTech 5W30 from Walmart. My ride is still super quiet and the oil level is spot on. Go Figure.
10W-30 made my engine much, much quieter than 5W-20. At all speeds and temperatures. Noise when cold is gone, and rattling is nearly gone when hot. Iā€™m so happy with it that Iā€™m even thinking of going to 15w-50. If a few surfaces need a little compensation for extra clearance, Iā€™m happy to supply it.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Following this up, dropped the car off yesterday to let them check out my various noises. Got a text from the service manager that said, "Bad news, replaced the driveshaft and still making noise. Good news, getting you a new transmission." So now a new long block a few months ago followed by a new tranny. So I got that going for me, which is nice:crackup:.
Got it back a couple of weeks ago. New driveshaft, new tranny, new plate due to scoring, and new clutch. Not quite sure which part was ultimately responsible, but EVERYTHING feels tighter and is quieter. Also changed the fluid immediately to BGII, more improvement. Sucked out about 4 quarts of PUP 5w30 and a can of Ceratec and replaced with Edge 5w40. Coupled with the disconnected sound tube and a couple weeks of driving, this car has never sounded better. I'm finally not even listening for the sounds anymore and really enjoying the hell out of the car.

Sponsored

Konablue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1/401A 6MT
Got it back a couple of weeks ago. New driveshaft, new tranny, new plate due to scoring, and new clutch. Not quite sure which part was ultimately responsible, but EVERYTHING feels tighter and is quieter. Also changed the fluid immediately to BGII, more improvement. Sucked out about 4 quarts of PUP 5w30 and a can of Ceratec and replaced with Edge 5w40. Coupled with the disconnected sound tube and a couple weeks of driving, this car has never sounded better. I'm finally not even listening for the sounds anymore and really enjoying the hell out of the car.
What do you mean by new plate due to scoring? Was it the trans spacer plate that people have been thinking is making the noise? How many miles have you put on the car since? I remember you were talking about how loud your rattle is, I assume you have no rattle now?

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Since the DI pump is actuated mechanically off a cam, temperature and oil viscosity should theoretically be able to make a difference in how it sounds also.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What do you mean by new plate due to scoring? Was it the trans spacer plate that people have been thinking is making the noise? How many miles have you put on the car since? I remember you were talking about how loud your rattle is, I assume you have no rattle now?
He's probably taking about the clutch pressure plate assembly. Not the same thing as the clutch disk that has the fiber friction pads on it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just to throw this out there. When I bought my BULLITT It had a VERY light tick when cold. I just had the oil changed at 750 miles so I could feel more secure having clean oil in the car when I hit 1k and can go redline, and since I've not noticed ANY tick. The change was just 10qts of w20 and new filter, both Motorcraft brand.

I honestly expected the tick to stay the same or get a bit louder like others have had.

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Like GT Pony said, clutch pressure plate, sorry. Probably 800 on the new tranny and peripherals, maybe 900 since I mixed the oil. The oil is definitely dulling the rattle. Within the last 300 miles it's gotten even quieter. I took it on 3 hour each way trip to Lake Tahoe and hauled ass. I swear the motor seemed to settle in, if that makes sense. I can still hear the rattle if I feather it a little in the usual 2-3k range, but it's about 20% of what it was.
Sponsored