Sponsored

Some D-Day then and now pics

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
D-Day just marked 75 years; so many people sacrificed their lives to make the “then” world a better place for that time period and for all of us now (where many just take “freedom” for granted).

While watching TV shows marking the Anniversary and googling, I came across a very cool link that other History/War buffs may enjoy.

It doesn’t have many pics (21), but what is really neat is it shows War images of the time period and the “now” modern day pics of those same areas.

When you go to the below link, scroll down to the images, from a mobile device tap on the image - it will then change to show the then and now differences:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/06/scenes-from-d-day-then-and-now/100752/

That site has other WWII then and now imagery too.

Thanks to all of those who did serve and to those still serving today - because without them and their willful sacrifices, freedom for many of us wouldn’t exist...:flag:
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
The plane closest to the camera, "That's All, Brother", was the lead plane of a formation of 800 planes dropping paratroopers over Normandy the night before D-Day. It was recently discovered and restored as close as possible to its 1944 configuration, and flown back across the Atlantic to return to Normandy as lead plane for reenactors to jump from on the 75th anniversary.

47996728343_267e5e5f7a_b.jpg

This really grabs my attention because I was a C-130 flight engineer and have dropped many paratroopers. And my squadron, the 61st Green Hornets, was over Normandy dropping paratroopers 75 years ago.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The plane closest to the camera, "That's All, Brother", was the lead plane of a formation of 800 planes dropping paratroopers over Normandy the night before D-Day. It was recently discovered and restored as close as possible to its 1944 configuration, and flown back across the Atlantic to return to Normandy as lead plane for reenactors to jump from on the 75th anniversary.

47996728343_267e5e5f7a_b.jpg

This really grabs my attention because I was a C-130 flight engineer and have dropped many paratroopers. And my squadron, the 61st Green Hornets, was over Normandy dropping paratroopers 75 years ago.
That’s really awesome in all senses of the word ‘AWESOME’! To find such a plane of historical significance is amazing in itself, but to be able to restore AND fly it back to its location of history - it’s just really wild.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std