2019 A10 pp1 prem., drag mode engine shutdown on 2-3 WOT shift

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Lo Pony, I think you might be hitting the rev limiter. I suggest you email or call Anthony about this. Dan can either raise the limiter a bit or drop the shift points about 100 rpm. I had this happen once but it never did it again so I just thought it was a freak occurrence.

If you still had the problem with the module by the airbox unplugged, it must not be traction related.

By the way, I have heard of other guys having this happen, regardless of whose tune they were running.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Lo Pony, I think you might be hitting the rev limiter. I suggest you email or call Anthony about this. Dan can either raise the limiter a bit or drop the shift points about 100 rpm. I had this happen once but it never did it again so I just thought it was a freak occurrence.

If you still had the problem with the module by the airbox unplugged, it must not be traction related.

By the way, I have heard of other guys having this happen, regardless of whose tune they were running.
Hello Bruce, glad you came in - I was just about to msg you!

What is the rev limiter set at? Running the E85 Flex v6 tune.

Just spoke on the phone with Livernois and e-mailed them a description of the problem. Car shifts low (I think) - according to my tach it's slightly above 7500. Weird thing is that it spins the heck out of the tires on 1-2 shift and makes it through that shift fine. It's specifically the 2-3 shift it doesn't like.

If the limiter is set at 7600-7700, I can see where that might be a problem. Should be raised a little.

Interestingly, this has been happening since the 93 v4 tune. Maybe it's something specific to my car.

Otherwise, car is a rabid animal with this tune. I love it.

Thanks for the input. Will keep you posted.

Edit - the Livernois tune is v7

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang

Thank you Bruce! ;). These threads can get ugly sometimes.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have the version 7 flex tune. I don't know how it differs from your version 6.

Yes, the throttle response is outstanding. Shifts are nice and firm, too. I am not sure how they have the rev limiter set. My car shifts around 7600 I think. I am so busy hanging on, I am not sure. Lol. The tach turns red just before the shift so it must be close to the limit.

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I have the version 7 flex tune. I don't know how it differs from your version 6.

Yes, the throttle response is outstanding. Shifts are nice and firm, too. I am not sure how they have the rev limiter set. My car shifts around 7600 I think. I am so busy hanging on, I am not sure. Lol. The tach turns red just before the shift so it must be close to the limit.
Bruce, thanks. I agree, I don't have time to pay very close attention to the tach. Even if it's shifting automatically, haha.

Zinc03svt, yes I know what you mean, and this site is worse than many others I've participated in in the distant past (StangNet, Corral, BON). I'm a long time veteran of those forums, and back in the day, they were closely mediated, and if anyone got out of line they were tossed.

The purpose here is to share information. I really hope any threads I start don't get ugly. I try to keep my posts/threads civil and informative and if it goes pear-shaped I hit "ignore". That being said, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read and respond to my thread.

Correction - I do have the v7 tune, my mistake

Last edited:

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
The Facebook Mustang groups can get a little hostile sometimes, too. :)

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Oh well, par for the course. I swore off facebook 6 years ago and couldn't be happier:like:

Deleted member 33561

I have a Lund tune and I think the rev limiter is set about 200 rpm above the shift rpm if I remember correctly. My Mustang has always had problems with the shift from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts slower than the other shifts and on rare occasions it has hit the rev limiter. I believe it happened when it was hotter than usual. This has been my main complaint about the A10 tranny. It shifts slower than my A8 in my Scatpack (200 milliseconds). And that 2nd to 3rd shift is exceptionally slow. I have no proof but my suspicion is that Ford did that on purpose to give the impression of more power than actual by spinning the tires.
Disclaimer: I have no proof of anything I say and I'm not a mechanic. I only have biased opinions from my own experience. :)

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
My tuner is unleashed and at wot throttle it barks the tires through 5th gear. Zero delay or torque mgt. Rev limiter set @ 7900 rpms. Fyi.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I have no shift delay with any of the gear changes. Mine shifts extremely quickly and firmly. Here is an 11.89 run when stock and in drag mode. I was on drag radials so there is minimal wheelspin. The Livernois tune didn't change drag mode much but normal and sport modes are much quicker and firmer. Now it easily breaks the street tires loose in the first 4 gears.

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
I have a Lund tune and I think the rev limiter is set about 200 rpm above the shift rpm if I remember correctly. My Mustang has always had problems with the shift from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts slower than the other shifts and on rare occasions it has hit the rev limiter. I believe it happened when it was hotter than usual. This has been my main complaint about the A10 tranny. It shifts slower than my A8 in my Scatpack (200 milliseconds). And that 2nd to 3rd shift is exceptionally slow. I have no proof but my suspicion is that Ford did that on purpose to give the impression of more power than actual by spinning the tires.
Disclaimer: I have no proof of anything I say and I'm not a mechanic. I only have biased opinions from my own experience. :)
Ok, the data continues to accumulate. I noted that the trans temp was below 200 on the initial runs where it did not shut down on the 2-3 shift. Subsequent runs with higher temps and there was shutdown.

Donā€™t know if itā€™s causal yet, but good info all the same.

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm that the shut down at the top of second gear is associated with higher transmission temperature, as in around 195Ā° and up. I ran it five times with the trans temperature between 150 and 180, and did not get a single shut down. Thus, when the transmission is hot, engine speed may be flaring at the top of 2nd enough for it to hit the rev limiter?

And this is just an association between high transmission temperature and the second gear shut down, it doesnā€™t mean it is causal, but it is definitely worth examining.

In the old days I wouldā€™ve added something to the transmission fluid to make it a little thicker, but thatā€™s not an option with this car

OP
OP
Lo Pony

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
I have no shift delay with any of the gear changes. Mine shifts extremely quickly and firmly. Here is an 11.89 run when stock and in drag mode. I was on drag radials so there is minimal wheelspin. The Livernois tune didn't change drag mode much but normal and sport modes are much quicker and firmer. Now it easily breaks the street tires loose in the first 4 gears.

Looks like a great run. I hear it spin the tires on the shifts. Surprising the tune didnā€™t make that much difference in your quarter-mile time, or did it?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I haven't run with the tune. Events keep getting rained out or conflicting with other activities. I am expecting 12.5 - 12.6 with the tune when run in the same conditions as when this 11.89 stock run took place. I will be going to the strip in a couple of weeks.

As for trans temps, I don't think mine has ever gotten to 200. It runs around 170 or so and takes a long time to get that warm. Some A10s left the factory underfilled with fluid. Might not hurt to check that on yours.
Sponsored