Differential Flanges - Any Experts?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, you’re always going the extra mile.

The OD of the driveshaft CV was 108mm and the pinion flange ID was 110mm. The overall driveshaft length between 2015 and 2018 is the same or at least really close. An exact measurement was tough with CV movement.

I would think a 2018+ one piece driveshaft would be a direct fit with this flange.
Thanks. That should be a perfect fit.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It seems my choice may made for me. I cannot find with certainty the 2015-2017 manual flange.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Extremely good info guys, thanks for sharing!

Looks like the front d.s. is a carryover. The rear shaft is a totally different design. With a variable length in the 2015-18, I wonder if they were trying use the truck drive shafts in the mustang? Or does the rear joint on the newer shaft expand also?

Must have been some NVH improvement from these changes.

Is the center hanger bearing assembly the same part?

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Lengths seem to be the same per @StrongFord, just a different rear flange interface.

FWIW I was able to track down a 2015 manual flange for $35.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you find the flange?
One of the FB groups I'm part of. Levittown Ford will also be able to get one for you if you give them your VIN. Pm them on here.

OP
OP
StrongFord

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Extremely good info guys, thanks for sharing!

Looks like the front d.s. is a carryover. The rear shaft is a totally different design. With a variable length in the 2015-18, I wonder if they were trying use the truck drive shafts in the mustang? Or does the rear joint on the newer shaft expand also?

Must have been some NVH improvement from these changes.

Is the center hanger bearing assembly the same part?
Looks like the front d.s. is a carryover. The rear shaft is a totally different design. - Yes and yes.

With a variable length in the 2015-18, I wonder if they were trying use the truck drive shafts in the mustang? - No idea if they commonized with other vehicle lines. The overall length is the same, the best I could tell, the front shaft is exact. On the ground the rear section of the 2018 shaft measured slightly longer (~3/16"), but I attributed that to the CV being a little more expanded than my original one. It installed without issue, just hand pressure on the CV to compress it into the flange.

Or does the rear joint on the newer shaft expand also? - The newer shaft has slip at the CV joint, not the U-joint.

Is the center hanger bearing assembly the same part? - It appeared identical.

Great adds to this thread everyone! Thanks for the new photos @JohnVallo . We're getting the flange expertise I was looking for the first time around.

I'll add measurements from my 2015 manual flange when I get a chance.

OP
OP
StrongFord

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
I measured my 2015 GT components:

2015 manual trans pinion flange = 113mm I.D. with 97mm bolt circle
2015 driveshaft CV O.D. = 113.5mm O.D. - I find that to be a surprisingly tight tolerance to the flange I.D.
2015 driveshaft slip joint near u-joint can easily travel 30mm with hand pressure. The CV joint end wobbles, but does not slide.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does this relate to aftermarket driveshafts too? Like if I currently have an DSS automatic drive shaft for my 2015, would it be possible to change out some parts to make it mate with the newer 2018 rear flange?

I only ask because I initially had bad vibrations and clocking it flxed about 90% of it... but would be nice to fully remedy it without purchasing an entirely new drive shaft.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Does this relate to aftermarket driveshafts too? Like if I currently have an DSS automatic drive shaft for my 2015, would it be possible to change out some parts to make it mate with the newer 2018 rear flange?

I only ask because I initially had bad vibrations and clocking it flxed about 90% of it... but would be nice to fully remedy it without purchasing an entirely new drive shaft.
You could, I suppose. Unless you have a Shaftmasters, the only difference will be the the adapter for the pinion flange.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Not sure what the balance specs of the 2018-up shaft/flange combos are. If they are designed to have any shaft vs. any flange, you are prob. Ok, depending on how good your DSS shaft is.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
I think everyone should stop referring to the pinion flanges as either manual or auto but should instead refer to them as large or small. From what I gather:

Small flange differentials:
2015-current automatic Mustang models
2018-current manual and automatic Mustang models
2016-current GT350 models

Large flange differentials:
2015-2017 manual Mustang models

Last edited:

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I assumed that all 2015-up differential flanges for Mustangs were categorized as either Automatic or Manual
apparently that is not the case.
I can offer some facts for the GT350's as I own a 2016 GT350 and have acquired 2 spare 2016 GT350 complete carriers, as well as 2 spare 2017 GT350 carriers
All flanges on these measure right at 110mm span.
I did purchase the new 2018 manual flange, pn: HR3Z-4851-B
This flange has the same dimensions as all my other GT350 flanges
One observation I have noticed is that all pre 2018 flanges did NOT come painted from the factory.
The new HR3Z-4851-B flange comes painted black and seems to be a higher quality nicer looking piece.

Here is the new 2018 flange HR3Z-4851-B
IMG_0506-1200.jpg

IMG_0507-1200.jpg

The span on this new flange is right at 110mm
IMG_0504-1200.jpg

The bolt circle looks to be right at 93mm diameter

IMG_0505-1200.jpg

Maybe some of our Mustang GT friends can weigh-in on some 2015 manual flange measurements
to try to clear-up this confusion about the manual flanges being of different sizes, and in what years were these differences.

Hope this helps...
I'm swapping a 3.31 diff from an auto into a manual 3.73. What all do I need to swap it over. New seal and crush sleeve nut? Is a front bearing required?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm swapping a 3.31 diff from an auto into a manual 3.73. What all do I need to swap it over. New seal and crush sleeve nut? Is a front bearing required?
I just swapped mine, pulled the flanges off each and swapped them over using a new nut. There are instructions from Ford on how to reset the bearing tension by checking the torque needed to turn the flange, but we couldn’t get the nut tight enough to get back to the measured torque. So in theory my bearing preload is less than spec. You will need a new crush sleeve if you somehow manage to overtighten the nut, but I doubt it cuz we couldn’t get back to the original preload drag even after cranking my impact up to 150psi and hitting the nut.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I just swapped mine, pulled the flanges off each and swapped them over using a new nut. There are instructions from Ford on how to reset the bearing tension by checking the torque needed to turn the flange, but we couldn’t get the nut tight enough to get back to the measured torque. So in theory my bearing preload is less than spec. You will need a new crush sleeve if you somehow manage to overtighten the nut, but I doubt it cuz we couldn’t get back to the original preload drag even after cranking my impact up to 150psi and hitting the nut.
Hmm... How close did you get? I looked at the Ford Perforance companion flange instructions and how to measure the torque. I saw a guy reuse the nut on an s197 and he got it back to the paint mark he made.and called it good.
Sponsored