Sponsored

Convertibles running faster than 13.49 at the track?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Any convertible owners running faster than 13.49 at the track? If so, have they asked you to slow down or go home? I took the car to the track for the first time yesterday. The Tech guy said they would ask me to slow down the first time I ran faster than 13.49 then they'd ask me to leave if I did it again. I ran 12.90s-13.2s all night. They didn't say anything.
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
All the written rules say a roll bar if faster than 13.49, but I have yet to see enforcement (with-in reason). I ran 12.80 at a muscle car expo last year and no one said anything. Loading the FPP2 on this weekend and plan to do some faster passes Memorial weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
All the written rules say a roll bar if faster than 13.49, but I have yet to see enforcement (with-in reason). I ran 12.80 at a muscle car expo last year and no one said anything. Loading the FPP2 on this weekend and plan to do some faster passes Memorial weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Would be interested to see what the actual difference is with PP2. All I have seen is "seat of the pants" experience.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I'm planning to participate with my club at the upcoming IRRA roll race event in June. I have no idea what i'll trap but i'm interested in what, if anything, they'll say.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
If it is not an NHRA sanctioned track or event, or enforcement is lax, it might slide. I also remember late last year they revamped many of the safety rules to ease equipment restrictions on otherwise stock cars to encourage track vs. street driving. Google up the latest NHRA rule amendments and have a look, I haven't been tracking mine recently so haven't been keeping up.

I put a 6 point in mine because the tracks I frequent are strict and wouldn't allow any passes faster than that. Also wanted one knowing that there is really nothing to keep your head on if you happen to be unlucky and turn one of these over unexpectedly.

EDIT: Here's an article on the rules amendments for coupes. Looks like convertibles still must comply. The article has a link to the NHRA rule book amendments.

https://www.racepagesdigital.com/te...08-newer-street-cars-presented-by-nitto-tire/

Last edited:

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Interesting. I’ve never heard that rule. I consistently run 12.6 - 12.9 at Milan and have never been asked about a roll cage. Ironically, my avatar picture was taken during staging for one of those runs.

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I ran a shitty 13.1 at Atco and they didn't say anything. My buddy was cracking high 11's in his BMW convertible and they were ok with that as well.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
That’s a weird rule. That would mean even stock cars will need a roll bar. The limit should be lowered, pretty much any GT convertible will run faster than a 13.49 everything done correctly.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Interesting. I’ve never heard that rule. I consistently run 12.6 - 12.9 at Milan and have never been asked about a roll cage. Ironically, my avatar picture was taken during staging for one of those runs.
I'm surprised that Milan hasn't said anything to you. Tech always asked me how quick I expected to be, and then checked for my 6 point roll bar.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a weird rule. That would mean even stock cars will need a roll bar. The limit should be lowered, pretty much any GT convertible will run faster than a 13.49 everything done correctly.
A lot of factory cars run after then 13.49 now so the NHRA made a change to the rules. This doesn't apply to T-top and convertible cars. I missed that part when I quickly read the article a few months ago. From the link MKMotorsport posted -

The NHRA updated its safety requirements to allow 2008 and newer vehicles to run as quick as 10.00 and/or as fast as 135 mph without an NHRA-legal roll bar if the vehicle has unmodified factory safety equipment and DOT-legal tires. The NHRA notes that the driver must still wear the appropriate clothing and helmet for the performance of the vehicle. However, these new performance levels do apply to a convertible or T-top equipped car. NHRA made the announcement on September 18, 2018 and it is effective immediately.

Many late-model muscle car owners are rejoicing, as the previous threshold was 11.50 for the same model year vehicles with DOT-legal tires. The 10.00 limit, prior to the new rule, was in place for unmodified OEM vehicles, such as the new Dodge Demon and Chevrolet ZR1 that have proven to be capable of running deep into the 10s off the factory floor. Credit the federal government’s continual commitment to highway safety standards for OEM vehicles as one of the reasons for this recent change to include all 2008 and newer cars.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Results are in! I did 3 passes and all 3 I ran 12.73 and change @110.** MPH. While it does shift better now, I'm not convinced it was worth the $600 and 2 hours of time. I still need to dig out last years ticket and compare DA's but the weather seemed just about the same as last year.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one more performance upgrade coming soon along with a set of drag tires so we'll see if I can run high 11s-low 12s without them saying anything. I've gone low 12s in a convertible at that track so I might be good.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
This link had the NHRA rules boiled down for the longest time. In fact most quick searches still turn up this version. When I started tracking this car in 2014, I had no choice but to go 6 point and SFI harnesses. But you are correct, you couldn't use all of the cars performance w/o breaking the rule. Remember this is only for convertibles.

https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2018/03/NHRA-Racing-Safety-Rules-1.pdf

A lot of factory cars run after then 13.49 now so the NHRA made a change to the rules. This doesn't apply to T-top and convertible cars. I missed that part when I quickly read the article a few months ago. From the link MKMotorsport posted -

The NHRA updated its safety requirements to allow 2008 and newer vehicles to run as quick as 10.00 and/or as fast as 135 mph without an NHRA-legal roll bar if the vehicle has unmodified factory safety equipment and DOT-legal tires. The NHRA notes that the driver must still wear the appropriate clothing and helmet for the performance of the vehicle. However, these new performance levels do apply to a convertible or T-top equipped car. NHRA made the announcement on September 18, 2018 and it is effective immediately.

Many late-model muscle car owners are rejoicing, as the previous threshold was 11.50 for the same model year vehicles with DOT-legal tires. The 10.00 limit, prior to the new rule, was in place for unmodified OEM vehicles, such as the new Dodge Demon and Chevrolet ZR1 that have proven to be capable of running deep into the 10s off the factory floor. Credit the federal government’s continual commitment to highway safety standards for OEM vehicles as one of the reasons for this recent change to include all 2008 and newer cars.
Doing a double/triple take on this, I actually think the "do" is supposed to say "do not", lol. I'm confused myself. I see other places where the new convertible threshold for needing a 6 point has been moved down to 11.49 (the previous limit for needing one in a coupe)- and coupes down to 10.00 as listed in the article. I'm doing some more research and I'll update if I find out more.

The one VERY noteable exception is anything on a road course (Auto X not included). Almost all tracks I've visited in every place I've lived will not allow a convertible on the track at any speed without at a minimum a 4 point roll bar, unless equipped with factory roll protection (NO mustang convertibles produced meet this requirement). Again YMMV may vary by track.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doing a double/triple take on this, I actually think the "do" is supposed to say "do not", lol. I'm confused myself. I see other places where the new convertible threshold for needing a 6 point has been moved down to 11.49 (the previous limit for needing one in a coupe)- and coupes down to 10.00 as listed in the article. I'm doing some more research and I'll update if I find out more.

The one VERY noteable exception is anything on a road course (Auto X not included). Almost all tracks I've visited in every place I've lived will not allow a convertible on the track at any speed without at a minimum a 4 point roll bar, unless equipped with factory roll protection (NO mustang convertibles produced meet this requirement). Again YMMV may vary by track.
Yeah, I think the was the article that I read when I did a quick search when I planned to goto the track so I figured I was all set. That typo changes everything. I haven't researched Auto X but I've done it in the past and have thought about getting into it again if there are any events close to me. A roll bar isn't required?

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
Yeah, I think the was the article that I read when I did a quick search when I planned to goto the track so I figured I was all set. That typo changes everything. I haven't researched Auto X but I've done it in the past and have thought about getting into it again if there are any events close to me. A roll bar isn't required?
Correct, my understanding is Auto X, you should be good to go. Open track type events get real strict real quick on convertible rollover protection. Last open track I ran at, rules spell this out pretty quickly:

https://www.highplainsraceway.com/open-lapping-days/#technical-requirements (click technical requirements, scroll 1/2 way down cars section). They go as far as calling out the Mustang convertible does not have acceptable rollover protection and requires a properly installed aftermarket bar/cage.
Sponsored