Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang 5.0
Hi guys
Hope you’re all well.
I’m a new member although been watching from the side lines for a while now.
Pick up my new 19 mustang this Friday and can’t wait!

Initially I want to do two things for the car.

Weather cover. Can anyone recommend a decent cover for the outside elements? And also where to get one?

My other question is- I would like to put an H pipe on the car at some point: is this something you need to tell insurance about? And if you do does it make much difference to the premium?

I’m based in bromley- SE London. Hopefully there are other local members

Thanks a lot

Steve
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Welcome Steve! We look forward to the collection pics :) assuming you've gone for what is in your profile pic? If so - excellent choice!

I'm on the fence about covers - whilst you're protected from the elements, they do have a tendency to add scratches to the paintwork - so be careful when you shop around and make sure you get one that is safe for the paint! I've heard the ones from Ford are good, although expensive.

You'll need to tell insurance about the H pipe. Shouldn't cost more than an Admin fee (for me, it cost £20 to state that I have a full cat back system. I'm with Admiral).

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
welcome aboard! look forwards to seeing pics of your new Mustang! - - - and of all the mods that you will end up doing over the years!

Bob

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Congrats on the new Mustang and I look forward to seeing the photos :like:

OP
OP
Bigheadz64

Bigheadz64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang 5.0
Welcome Steve! We look forward to the collection pics :) assuming you've gone for what is in your profile pic? If so - excellent choice!

I'm on the fence about covers - whilst you're protected from the elements, they do have a tendency to add scratches to the paintwork - so be careful when you shop around and make sure you get one that is safe for the paint! I've heard the ones from Ford are good, although expensive.

You'll need to tell insurance about the H pipe. Shouldn't cost more than an Admin fee (for me, it cost £20 to state that I have a full cat back system. I'm with Admiral).[/QUOTE

You'll need to tell insurance about the H pipe. Shouldn't cost more than an Admin fee (for me, it cost £20 to state that I have a full cat back system. I'm with Admiral).

Thanks all for the welcome!
Yeah the car in the pic is my exact car. The dealer sent me the pics and also sent me pics from when it came off the boat lol. He must have thought I was eccentric but I gladly accepted the pics
My wife also thinks I’ve gone bonkers because I keep looking at the pics of the car and I’ve even mentioned the odd waking in the night thinking about it ha ha ha
I guess I’m in good company lol.

Thanks for the replies so far. I’m really tempted by the H pipe. Although I like the active quad exhaust stock- I do want the car to stand out in a subtle but obvious way.

I seriously can’t wait to pick the car up
If anyone knows of any local meets to SE London or nearish please let me know

Look forward to talking to you all in the future

Steve

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Welcome, and congrats :like:

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Hello congrats pick up my new mustang Saturday I know that feeling. You're gonna love it :like:

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
You will love it

With regards to covers... they can work but can also cause there own problems.

Ideally the car needs to be dry before covering and certainly needs to be clean. Even in the summer the car will get covered in dust after a few days of use. So you are stuck with having to wash and dry the car every time you want to cover it. If it’s raining then you have no chance. If you cover it while dirty the cover will scratch the paint. What with the UK being wet most of the time it makes it very hard to keep a car clean and dry enough to cover.

If you want to use the cover for periods of time the car is not used like a week or more then it makes more sense to cover it after cleaning/drying.

The other issue is wind. The wind destroys covers. I have tried loads on my project car and some of expensive ones were worst. Some broke down due to UV after a year despite being £100+ covers. I now use a Halfords £60 one (the mid range one they sell) and it’s lasted year and a half and is fine.

So yeah they can be good.... but modern cars are designed to stand up to the elements too and certainly in the amount of time most people keep cars you will not suffer damage from weather if you look after it.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Hi and welcome here... Bet you can't wait until tomorrow. I insured mine with A-plan, told them I was going to fit a performance exhaust at some point. They said "no problem with any mods, no extra charge as long as it offers no increased performance or value". Also I've for a cover on mine, although can't remember which brand. Its a tailor made breathable fabric type, got it used from someone on here last year. So far its left no marks on the car. I do make sure it only goes on after the car is clean. Plus its fastened down with a few extra bungee straps, just in case the wind picks up... Anyhooo enjoy the Mustang when you get it :)

Sponsored

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Welcome and hope you enjoy the car.
I personally wouldn't bother with a cover. Mine stands out and I think regularl cleaning sessions are a better bet to preserve your paint.
As far as H pipes and insurance goes, you will have to tell your insurer. How they will take it, is not entirely predictable. Some peeps seem to have no problem. My experience was not so good. I found adding a cat-back exhaust nearly doubled my premium. With the car bone stock I only paid £279. With the pipe, the absolute best I could do was £400 and I shopped around all over the place to get that. I'm hoping when it comes to renewal it might come down a bit - assuming I don't go through a hedge in the meantime....

OP
OP
Bigheadz64

Bigheadz64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang 5.0
Thanks all so much for the replies.
Now counting down the hours til 10-30 tomorrow lol

The car is booked in for ceramic coatings in a weeks time. It’s not so much the paintwork I was wanting a cover for. I will look after the paint no problem at all once it’s protected.
It was more the the protection of the brakes, wheels etc.
I had a e46 M3 and if I didn’t use it for a week or two. When I got round to driving it, the wheels were grinding and the brakes would be stuck on due to the rain etc. It was do frustrating because it was on the surface a stunning car. But the lack of use was making perform horrible! Ok it was a 15 year old car but I still hated the wheels and brakes grinding.
Would this happen with a newer car?

I might still get a cover for winter months and when it’s probably not being used as much I may cover it for pro longed bad weather.

Going back to the H pipe. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic who’s used to this sort of work in the south of England? I don’t mind driving to have it done.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I had a e46 M3 and if I didn’t use it for a week or two. When I got round to driving it, the wheels were grinding and the brakes would be stuck on due to the rain etc. It was do frustrating because it was on the surface a stunning car. But the lack of use was making perform horrible! Ok it was a 15 year old car but I still hated the wheels and brakes grinding.
Would this happen with a newer car?
My own experience is that the brakes are quite partial to rust, grinding and warping. Probably my own fault for not using it enough, but have seen other cases online of low mileage cars with screwed brakes.

Going back to the H pipe. Can anyone recommend a decent mechanic who’s used to this sort of work in the south of England? I don’t mind driving to have it done.
GT101, Colchester @djone101

Enjoy tomorrow :like:

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
My own experience is that the brakes are quite partial to rust, grinding and warping. Probably my own fault for not using it enough, but have seen other cases online of low mileage cars with screwed brakes.
Don't think it's your fault - use mine every day and front disks warped, rears rusted. Had to replace the lot.
Sponsored