Sponsored

So, I'm an idiot and crashed my '18 GT. Sell/Fix/jump out the window?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yep don't do insurance. Remember this guy?

He tried to make claim with his insurance and now he's behind bars.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
And before I get to work...

Remember that insurance companies are just as guilty of fraud as anyone else. They just get away with it more. Take the post above where the dude was rear ended. He bought insurance to get accidents like that covered. The accident happened and not his fault and the insurer reneged on the execution of the product he purchased. That is “fraud” in my books. Happens all the time but how about calling the police on that insurance company?

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Nevermind...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Disagreeing here, nobody has a halo, but most people are truthful and do the right thing. Everyone deals with big and small issues all the time, yes, some lie, cheat, and steal, but most don’t because its wrong. Just plain wrong and unethical to do to any person or company.

Ethics have nothing to do with insurance fraud. It’s a made up crime that can disappear with a change of policy - pun intended. Just expect the worst from humans and cover them for non-professional track use as default in performance cars. There - problem solved! But wait - they probably have by actuarial metrics anyway (almost dated an actuary back in the day) - so you really should be covered anyway. They are just trying to get out of paying...

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Ethics isn’t about them, its about you. Nuff said.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
so call me stupid, but why can't he make the claim and tell them he was at an event? the claim is against his insurance and unless his policy explicitly states that performance events are excluded it'd be better than taking the hit directly to the wallet. I'm not saying lie, i'm saying tell them exactly where he was and what he was doing.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
so call me stupid, but why can't he make the claim and tell them he was at an event? the claim is against his insurance and unless his policy explicitly states that performance events are excluded it'd be better than taking the hit directly to the wallet. I'm not saying lie, i'm saying tell them exactly where he was and what he was doing.
Yup he could do that & he might have I can't recall if he said he tried or not. About all they could do is tell him to pound sand at this point.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Ethics isn’t about them, its about you. Nuff said.

No, if that were the case I would just make up my own rules as I went along. No one exists in a vacuum. Inter-racial marriage was illegal and now it isn’t. Abortion changes hands over and over - do the ethics change with the law of the day?

I have heard personally how the big-wigs of the insurance industry talk - so there is that. They are not paragons of ethics.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The op did what he did already so we are just talking about what ifs in the op’s immediate state after the crash.

Yes, he could have just given them minimal information and had them flesh out the details and then deny the claim. But he could have been covered and not known it or maybe the accident forgiveness is worded in such a way that he gets away with it legally. It depends on the policy that was sold to him.

I covered mortgages for new home buyers with the second largest insurance company in the world. I only sold the kids what they needed which was the cheapest term insurance for the mortgage. I was undercutting the other underwriters doing this and actually winning sales awards. And I actually have videotape on my server of one such award. The company could do nothing about it. But they did send a guy from head office to go out with me for a day and he found nothing wrong. They wanted me to sell policies that made me a higher commission and made them more money. I sold what the kids really needed and made up for it in volume. The banks now do this work.

But yes - I’m the unethical guy...

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500, 2018 GT A10, 06 GTO
Yup he could do that & he might have I can't recall if he said he tried or not. About all they could do is tell him to pound sand at this point.
I had her read me the policy.

"temporary track or course" That's all it took for me to say fuck it.

Anyways, yes, as said before Ethics is about YOU.

Still up in the air about it. Found one in NC. Have to ship it to BFE wyoming..... If I keep the wrecked one, I could pull the motor and send it to have sleeved, trans to have the clutches put in it. So far, I think that's what I'll do. Once the built motor/trans gets done, I can do the swap. From there, I should be able to have the old car pulled at the frame shop, reinstall the engine/trans and maybe have it fixed cheaper over the winter. If not, I could at least sell it for ~$20K to someone who wants to hang a front clip and dick around with the airbags.

Been talking with Midway Mustangs. They have quite a few parts I would need. I just cannot find a front clip anywhere. I can find ecoboosts with 20K miles for $20K.......almost has me tempted. Insurance would be cheaper HAHAHA.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I had her read me the policy.

"temporary track or course" That's all it took for me to say fuck it.

Anyways, yes, as said before Ethics is about YOU.

Still up in the air about it. Found one in NC. Have to ship it to BFE wyoming..... If I keep the wrecked one, I could pull the motor and send it to have sleeved, trans to have the clutches put in it. So far, I think that's what I'll do. Once the built motor/trans gets done, I can do the swap. From there, I should be able to have the old car pulled at the frame shop, reinstall the engine/trans and maybe have it fixed cheaper over the winter. If not, I could at least sell it for ~$20K to someone who wants to hang a front clip and dick around with the airbags.

Been talking with Midway Mustangs. They have quite a few parts I would need. I just cannot find a front clip anywhere. I can find ecoboosts with 20K miles for $20K.......almost has me tempted. Insurance would be cheaper HAHAHA.

Ok blower guy, the V6 Mustang guy is going to tell you what I would do now that the insurance people are out of it.

Just straighten the car for performance and leave all the body damage there - as in untouched. You like racing right? Then it’s just going to tag the wall eventually again bro...

I did a lot of street racing back in the day and one thing I never did was fix body damage from racing even if it’s some disgruntled kid I humiliated that bashed in my door later out of spite. It all tells a story man...

Just straighten the car, tack on the front end and be done with it. Go racing! Get back on the horse as the car is now christened, only this time put in a padded roll cage, not some half-assed one, but a real cage. If you are middle-aged like me, then driving around in that thing would be soooo intimidating and so bad ass you would definitely be the man!

Nobody is fucking with you behind that wheel... :rockon:

I worked with several guys who raced their cars in sponsored racing. One guy rolled his machine on the first race in the Honda Michelin series. Miraculously the thing ended upside down untouched in the muddy tall grass. He was relieved, but as we all turned it over all the panels buckled and crumpled up. Welcome to racing... :crackup: Happened to me in bicycle racing as a piss poor university student. First race and bike was trashed. That was my cheery being popped.

Anyway, that is what I would do as you obviously have other rides for DD.

(NSFW)

Last edited:

Stealthfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
My rates are primarily set by my postal code. Yes it’s true. How fair is that? And why? Because it generates more cash for them.

The insurers should just do what they always do and set the rates factoring in occasional recreational use and then the “fraud” is not fraud anymore. If you are covered by non-professional track use by default, then are you going to turn yourself into the police because you submitted a claim? Answer no! Why - because insurance fraud is a fraud (by the insurance companies) for all but organized crime. This is on them and not you. And don’t say I or anyone counselled the op to commit a crime because we didn’t.
I disagree on your assesment on generating cash as your location says Toronto, so you apparently live in the biggest city in Canada which brings with it far more traffic - higher risk of collision, more theft, more vandalism and more violent crime all of which are factors in setting insurance rates. Using that basis you should pay more than someone in Tillsonberg or Sudbury or in the less populous provinces as your risk is higher, even ignoring driving habits and record.

It is a bit of a lesson in making sure your insurance fits your needs. I pay for full replacement value among many other options well over my provinces basic plate coverage of 200k as that could net me a whole lot of financial difficulties if i were in an at-fault accident when i travel in the US and good chance if one of the oilfield style pickup trucks hits my car its likely done for. As for taking it to a track right now I wouldn't do so without track coverage especially while i am still paying for a car.

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500, 2018 GT A10, 06 GTO
Tossed on the one Steeda toe link. Never installed them because it would have needed aligned.... Rear end is back to straight it seems. I don't even think I need any rear suspension parts.

Just decided to fix this one. Pissed at myself still...summer will be gone again.

Looking at the tubular K- member......would this be strong enough for street duty?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Tossed on the one Steeda toe link. Never installed them because it would have needed aligned.... Rear end is back to straight it seems. I don't even think I need any rear suspension parts.

Just decided to fix this one. Pissed at myself still...summer will be gone again.

Looking at the tubular K- member......would this be strong enough for street duty?

Now your talking! Fix the thing and rip the shit out of it having fun! Add the roll cage though and pad it - don’t ask me why. But give up on the cosmetics, like I said racing damage is like duelling scars. They all tell a story.

Do it for Dale!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
dulp!!
Sponsored