Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The mechanics isn't my hold up, it's the picking parts. I'm not necessarily intimidated, I'd just need to start doing the homework on best parts and what all I need. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Do you save a lot building your own, by the time it's all said and done? Like substantial savings?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Brownells has complete lower parts kits with everything you need. I built my first AR lower just a few weeks ago and followed some online guides. Was done in under an hour taking my time. Make sure you have a clean work space in case you drop a small spring or pin so you can find it easier.

If you want something cheap you can build an AR lower for probably $250 or less. Places to upgrade are drop-in triggers(Brownells again has a Velocity drop-in with lower parts kit together for $180 which is great), JP-Industries silent capture buffer springs(I recommend H2 buffer weight for a pistol length), and of course whatever grips and stock/brace you like.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Palmetto state armory is another great website for parts. I got a complete upper(fully assembled) with bolt carrier group, Magpul MOE furniture kit, lower parts kits in 300 blackout and 8.5in barrel for just under 300 bucks due to a blemish(im still looking for the blemish btw). Got a good quality lower for 99 and 45 degree offset iron sights for another 30. I purchased Lancer 300blk mags at about 14bucks each. So for about 450 bucks I got a fully functioning and nice shooting AR pistol. I've since added a Romeo 5 optic and Vickers sling for another 160ish. So yes you can save a good chunk. Plus the satisfaction of building your own.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Palmetto state armory is another great website for parts. I got a complete upper(fully assembled) with bolt carrier group, Magpul MOE furniture kit, lower parts kits in 300 blackout and 8.5in barrel for just under 300 bucks due to a blemish(im still looking for the blemish btw). Got a good quality lower for 99 and 45 degree offset iron sights for another 30. I purchased Lancer 300blk mags at about 14bucks each. So for about 450 bucks I got a fully functioning and nice shooting AR pistol. I've since added a Romeo 5 optic and Vickers sling for another 160ish. So yes you can save a good chunk. Plus the satisfaction of building your own.
I second Palmetto State Armory, I have used them many, many times. They put stripped lowers on sale frequently in the $50 range, simple to assemble, add your choice of flavor for uppers and good to go. As far as suppressing, subsonic rounds are a lot quieter than supersonics but even with those, there is a lot less muzzle blast and noise. I chose to go .30 rather than 5.56 suppressed because I like the 300 blk round, and I like to shoot Corbon subsonic 308 rounds in my model 700. Quiet, like a ninja! I also have a .22 LR suppressor that I put on a .22 cal AR and my Browning Buckmark pistol. Way too much fun.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would recommend the 10” barrel. My ar pistol is 10.5” and it either throws a 3’ flame or spits out considerable uncombusted powder. 7.5” is even less efficient and probably borderline unbearable
Depends on the caliber.
Basicly I would avoid a 5.56 pistol.
7.5" is fine for .300 BLK, but personally I like a longer barrel. The Colt SMG and early XM177's both used 10.5" barrels. Around 10" was the world standard for SMG's until the advent of the K version of the MP5 and the mini Uzi, neither of which do I Iike as well as the original "full size" guns. Micro AR's with barrels as short or shorter than the buffer tube in particular look goofy to me.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you aren't gonna suppress, no real reason to go 300blk, although there are some nice supersonic rounds out there for hunting. 30 caliber bullets just make a bigger hole.......
The powder in a typical 300 BLK fully burns in a 9" barrel. A 5.56/.223 needs 15" or more which means you lose a lot more velocity with a short barrel. So a 5.56 pistol gives you a lot of noise and flash, but not that much performance. Make sure you have good ear protection, and you might want both plugs and muffs.

Downside of the .300 is the ammo cost, and it's slight size disadvantage over pistol caliber AR's.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Depends on the caliber.
Basicly I would avoid a 5.56 pistol.
7.5" is fine for .300 BLK, but personally I like a longer barrel. The Colt SMG and early XM177's both used 10.5" barrels. Around 10" was the world standard for SMG's until the advent of the K version of the MP5 and the mini Uzi, neither of which do I Iike as well as the original "full size" guns. Micro AR's with barrels as short or shorter than the buffer tube in particular look goofy to me.

I went for an 11.85" PWS MK111 upper for my 5.56 pistol specifically because of ballistic testing at common ranges. Several 5.56/.223 rounds have acceptable to excellent terminal ballistics out of short barrels including 77gr OTM and a few 62gr(not M855) rounds that still fragment below 2,500fps. AR15.com/The Chopping Block does regular ammo testing out of short barrels into ballistic gelatin with some interesting(and also some not surprising) results.

I chose 5.56 because I don't want to have to stock another caliber. Currently just 9mm and 5.56.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How about a quick discussion on pistol vs SBR?! I know there’s some taxes and ATF stuff to deal with with the SBR. A Buddy of mine is a state certified instructor so he get a good bit of “in the know” gun knowledge and has mentioned ATF is backing off on how you can hold a pistol. Any thoughts? Any merits between one or the other?

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
How about a quick discussion on pistol vs SBR?! I know there’s some taxes and ATF stuff to deal with with the SBR. A Buddy of mine is a state certified instructor so he get a good bit of “in the know” gun knowledge and has mentioned ATF is backing off on how you can hold a pistol. Any thoughts? Any merits between one or the other?
SBR is a little more controllable, comfortable to shoot because of the stock. Although the braces help with that problem some. Outside of room clearing and vehicle entry exit, either one is not much more handy than a 16" barrel carbine and do have some drawbacks incl muzzle flash, noise and reliability. But to each his own, they can be fun to play with and sometimes you just want something because you want it and that's reason enough.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks Richard....I certainly understand that. I have handled both and like you said, depending on how you hold it, you’re splitting hairs. You also hit the nail on the head...sometimes you want something just cause you do (the irony of being on a GT350 forum and having to describe why I “need” something, LOL).

Also though, my future includes some pretty top shelf tactical training at a prestigious school, which will include just that; close quarters, house clearing, car entry/engagement, etc. I don’t want to cause any problems or get in trouble for holding the pistol incorrectly (like a rife). Cause let’s be honest, some of these “arm braces” fit great if used as a butt stock.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
In general the braces are not as good of a stock, as a stock. Exspecially if you are tallish, because the length of pull of a brace is restricted. So I agree with Doc there. Depending on the barrel length I feel they CAN be much handier than a 16" carbine.

Basicly the Pistol + brace distinction is:
A good stock is better ergonomically than even the best brace. +1 for SBR.
A pistol requires no NFA form or delay, no tax, and because of the lesser paperwork is usually cheaper. +3 for the pistol w/brace.

The ATF gave up on the it's a pistol if shot this way, and a SBR if shot that way approach to braces as unenforcable. So shouldering a brace is no longer an issue.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Richard....I certainly understand that. I have handled both and like you said, depending on how you hold it, you’re splitting hairs. You also hit the nail on the head...sometimes you want something just cause you do (the irony of being on a GT350 forum and having to describe why I “need” something, LOL).

Also though, my future includes some pretty top shelf tactical training at a prestigious school, which will include just that; close quarters, house clearing, car entry/engagement, etc. I don’t want to cause any problems or get in trouble for holding the pistol incorrectly (like a rife). Cause let’s be honest, some of these “arm braces” fit great if used as a butt stock.
Training is the way to go , I have been blessed by being surrounded by a group of friends that shared the same firearms passion that I have and we have (as a group ) brought in some top notch firearms experts to help us learn the right way to use our weapons. Not one of them told us to go through the trouble of getting a SBR or pistol for the training or defense. The best thing to focus on is accuracy and speed, with accuracy being #1. Knowing exactly where each round fired will hit every time and at whatever distance you are at is the most important. I have an AR pistol in 300 BLK I put together with a can but for serious use I will always grab my 16" carbine with simple and lightweight flashlight and aimpoint. That is a serious weapon, AR pistols are toys, (but fun). I'm not knocking your desire or right to have one but nothing will beat a simple 16" barreled or 14.5 barrel with welded on 1.5" flash suppressor for serious training or work and and won't be a pain the a** to get, carry, hold or license.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I have a 300 blk 8.3 barrel and it shoots great. The 300 blk was designed for shorter than 16" barrel, subsonic and suppressed. Honestly I wouldn't go less than 16" for a 556/223.

I also have a AR9 5.5 barrel planning to suppress as well.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I have a 10.5 5.56 with a flash can and its so loud I have to use double ear protection with it.

The problem that most people have with a functional blackout on the AR pattern is that they deviate from what it's designed to work around which is ~8-8.5 barrel with pistol length gas. As soon as they go mid length gas, 16" barrel, throw a heavier buffer in it, they start having problems with them cycling.

Too I would concur that if you're not going to suppress and shoot subs then I'd just leave blackout alone.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.