Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I love black wheels. Every econo box and suv has silver wheels. However I am only 60 years and 120 months old.
Lee
Sponsored

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
I'm 61. Generally prefer the look of silver wheels, or black wheels with machined silver faces. Don't care for matte black, they look like they are dirty.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 55 and grew up with steel wheels, aluminum alloys, and chrome. I didn't much care for chrome then and still don't now. I think that black wheels, like chrome, provide a contrast with the rest of the care, but unlike chrome, allow the car to be the primary focus and act as a complement to the whole.
IMG_0338.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Not to sidetrack a thread but here goes... Normally I don't like to add non-functional body parts, but those fender scoops are bad-ass and really make the rear quarters look better. Where did you find those?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not to sidetrack a thread but here goes... Normally I don't like to add non-functional body parts, but those fender scoops are bad-ass and really make the rear quarters look better. Where did you find those?
Thanks! They are the Cervinis Stalker scoops.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice touch with the red center caps.
Thanks! They are Carroll Shelby Wheel Company CS-3 20x9.5 front / 20x11 rear and weigh 28 and 29 lbs respectively. While the center caps were nice, they didn't go with the color theme of the car. After looking around and doing a lot of photoshopping, I decided the Ford Oval in red would look sweet. They look even better in person. Here is a closer pic.
IMG_0413.jpg

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! They are Carroll Shelby Wheel Company CS-3 20x9.5 front / 20x11 rear and weigh 28 and 29 lbs respectively. While the center caps were nice, they didn't go with the color theme of the car. After looking around and doing a lot of photoshopping, I decided the Ford Oval in red would look sweet. They look even better in person. Here is a closer pic.
IMG_0413.jpg
Very nice. But those lug nuts are a little over the top. :giggle: Just kidding.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I see some pretty good observation and analysis going on here. Seems to me there has been some suggestion that contrasting wheels can detract from the car's overall look, and that may be true in many cases, but there are times when the contrast is a key element. I really liked my black cars (all four of them) with both silver and black or predominantly black wheels. I was looking for the 2007-2009 GT500 wheels in chrome, and today I judge that if I'd found them at the time, I might still have them and one or another of the cars they were on. Thing about all-chrome is that you look at them, nod, and move on to the car's presentation as a whole.

Same with black wheels with the polished rim, stark circle that defines the roundness of the wheels and doesn't require any further contemplation. "Yup, wheels are round; see how nicely the designers melded the flattish and round panels where the fenders end?"

Flat black and gloss black wheels with no other "pop" characteristics do have similar effects to some of the wheels mentioned: "Oh, yeah, wheels under there; and see what a beauty they are under!"

Overall, very difficult for me to divorce the wheels phenomena from the car-design and contrast effects. Remembering when my daughter was in her "Daddy why...?" phase and always wanted to know what my favorite (you name it) was, I was wishy-washy and almost never could say anything other than "They are all so wonderful it's hard to make a choice." Most often I still end up not choosing, and just enjoying.
Mustang2006WheelChoices.jpg

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Not a fan of black and prefer to see those PP Brembo calipers and massive discs behind the wheels
IMG_1083.JPG
Yep, it's not just how dark some wheels are, but how full-looking that makes a difference to me. For example while I definitely prefer silver over black, the 15-17 PP silver wheels looked too busy to me. I like darker better when there's less spokes and the car is darker.

Sponsored

Tony T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Mine are aftermarket from previous owner.

I’m 59 and I like my wheels. Love the unpainted bead and inner mill

And they match the top, interior, rocker panels, grill and valance
CFA9AB97-E516-4BE8-AADB-0220410FF19B.jpeg
C4FEECD5-1377-4567-9699-6379EF623CE7.jpeg
9ACD9216-566E-4886-A0DA-D36EF1D7C31D.jpeg

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are aftermarket from previous owner.

I’m 59 and I like my wheels. Love the unpainted bead and inner mill

And they match the top, interior, rocker panels, grill and valance
CFA9AB97-E516-4BE8-AADB-0220410FF19B.jpeg
C4FEECD5-1377-4567-9699-6379EF623CE7.jpeg
9ACD9216-566E-4886-A0DA-D36EF1D7C31D.jpeg
Agree they go well with your car. Now you just need a black 5.0 emblem.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Why go black? When you can go red? Haha

I am not 50+ so I idk if I am forbidden to answer or not. But black is a neutral contrast color therefor it will go with any color. I have black rims on my Pontiac G6 for 8 years and I got tired of it so I went with black rims with a red face to match my race red color. It stands out and breaks necks. Black although always looks good is so played out.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Black wheels unless they have a silver lip so the tire and wheel don't run together and the car doesn't look like a Camry missing its hubcaps is the only way I have ever run a black wheel on a car. Some colors today can benefit from a darker wheel IMHO, but again I want to be able to distinguish where the rim stops and the tire starts. On only one occasion have I seen a car with all black wheels and liked it. It was a Gottahaveitgreen 2013 Boss 302 with Graphite finish Vossen CV3R five spokes. I had a graphite wheel on my white 14 and after getting them on the car, hated them. Too much contrast. The wheels on my 17 came off my 14 that I bought after ridding the car of the graphite wheels. It works for me. As for how old I am? I'm old enough to know what I like.

PXCPlq7.jpg

0XBMgR0.jpg

Last edited:

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

I decided to pass on the PP1 this time. Will address the suspension by installing the Ford
Performance PP1 package in the future. Added the red stripes which I think work given this color
and the black accent wheels. That said I do like the 19"Luster Nickel painted forged aluminium wheels.
Could be in the future if I invest in summer sneakers.

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG
Sponsored