keep it 12-1 or lower 11-1

• Total voters

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not enough fuel.

They did not "make them weaker". The rods are the same exact rods used in the Boss 302 (same part number actually) and are arguably the strongest rod ever put in a mustang other than the 03/04 Terminator rod.

They are tough AF and if you bend one under 900whp, something is wrong in the tune up, the fuel, something......

The rod is bending from the broken piston/ring land scoring/gouging the cylinder bore immediately slowing down the piston placing undue pressure on the rod.

The piston is failing first causing the rod to fail.... Gauranteed.
Honestly I think it’s the tune provided by whipple. Mine knocked like crazy with the same setup on 91 (which the tune is supposedly designed for) with the 2019 whipple tune (different than the 2018 whipple tune). It also knocked for a lot of other 2019 gt owners I talked to with the setup. It even knocked with Boostane or 100 octane Sunoco race gas.

Lund had me pulley up and drop a pound and were able to dial in the tune great, no knock. I’m pretty sure all the big name tuners have gotten it running fine with the 38lb injectors and dw400 pump.

I would regularly hit the max knock retard limit on the whipple tune just with light city driving or part throttle highway cruising at 65, it was ridiculous.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
PC 2015

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
I agree. I thought whipple tune was supposed to be conservative. Well I can tell you there's something up with their tune. Because I've seen alot of guys have misfires. With stage2 3.875 pulley. Nothing I can do now. But definitely learned a lesson. From now on any kit I get moving forward will on get tuner kits. Lund tune from the beginning. If I did that I dont think I would be in this situation.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Honestly I think it’s the tune provided by whipple. Mine knocked like crazy with the same setup on 91 (which the tune is supposedly designed for) with the 2019 whipple tune (different than the 2018 whipple tune). It also knocked for a lot of other 2019 gt owners I talked to with the setup. It even knocked with Boostane or 100 octane Sunoco race gas.

Lund had me pulley up and drop a pound and were able to dial in the tune great, no knock. I’m pretty sure all the big name tuners have gotten it running fine with the 38lb injectors and dw400 pump.

I would regularly hit the max knock retard limit on the whipple tune just with light city driving or part throttle highway cruising at 65, it was ridiculous.
Lund had you go to a 4.00 pulley?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Makes total sense.

E85 and bigger injectors along with a reputable tuner for peace of mind guys.

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Makes total sense.

E85 and bigger injectors along with a reputable tuner for peace of mind guys.
Yea, after I saw how knock limited I was on 91 and the higher compression I had no choice but to pull the trigger on a new fuel system so I’m datalogging with Jon right now with my new ID1050X and lethal triple pump system on 91 and then e85. Even with the new tune from Lund, the knock sensors would only give me 15* at wot. The car felt gutless after losing a pound of boost and the more conservative timing. I had no choice but to switch to e85 if I wanted safe AND fast.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Ok so this is a copy and paste from Brandon over at L&M. Will keep the updates coming.

I will take another look at your old block tomorrow. I believe it was only cylinder 7 that was scored up. I don't recall any other cylinders loosing the plasma coating. The rod bent first, the cylinder damage was caused over time by the bent rod. You can see the wear in the rod bearing for #7 showing evidence it has some run time on it after having the bend.
Are asking me Haha or pat957?
Yes .
Lol

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Not enough fuel.

They did not "make them weaker". The rods are the same exact rods used in the Boss 302 (same part number actually) and are arguably the strongest rod ever put in a mustang other than the 03/04 Terminator rod.

They are tough AF and if you bend one under 900whp, something is wrong in the tune up, the fuel, something......

The rod is bending from the broken piston/ring land scoring/gouging the cylinder bore immediately slowing down the piston placing undue pressure on the rod.

The piston is failing first causing the rod to fail.... Gauranteed.
Very possible.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Nah. It under new ownership. Todd baught his brother out. Completely diffrent shop now. I usually do things myself. But when I cant they have done me right everytime.
glad to hear it, TJ and his Dad screwed over a LOT of people based on that thread... A LOT

Sponsored
OP
OP
PC 2015

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lund. The motor up today kasper is starting to put it in tonight.
20190605_113204.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Is it in Yet?

My trans in back in the car .
Shop is asking what transmission fluid to use ?
Any recommendations?

OP
OP
PC 2015

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it in Yet?

My trans in back in the car .
Shop is asking what transmission fluid to use ?
Any recommendations?
Kasper korner knocked it outs the park. Between Kasper Korner and L&M a week start to finish cant beat that. They are the best shop around me IMO NO BS at all. Yes sir, just started her up. Dont have a video was to nervous and excited lol.
I used the motocraft from Ford
20190606_211522.jpg

Last edited:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are you breaking in the new engine ?
Does the trans also need breaking in?