Tune for headers?

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So my car has an intake and a tune, and just yesterday I got headers installed on my car and a whole new exhaust. My main question is how effective is a tune going to be with the headers? Is it worth getting a new tune?
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Even if you kept the cats you have moved the O2 sensors considerably and a tune update will be required to avoid CELs.

PtheGman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (2.5g, 6 bolt, 4G64)
Id say that you probably need to have a custom tune for it to run very well. It may run with aftermarket headers but you certainly wont see most of the benefits of a better exhaust system if you dont have the engine tuning and calibration to match. From what I have seen around this forum and others, with the modifications you listed you should be just shy of about 500whp, depending on fuel and the tune. Good luck with your project!
-Paul

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Even if you kept the cats you have moved the O2 sensors considerably and a tune update will be required to avoid CELs.
That’s what I thought but whenever I got the car back there was no lights on. I also previously had no cats on the stock headers.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Id say that you probably need to have a custom tune for it to run very well. It may run with aftermarket headers but you certainly wont see most of the benefits of a better exhaust system if you dont have the engine tuning and calibration to match. From what I have seen around this forum and others, with the modifications you listed you should be just shy of about 500whp, depending on fuel and the tune. Good luck with your project!
-Paul
Sheesh, i wish I could be just shy of 500whp with just these mods also the car seems to really like and run more well than I thought after installing them. Before I got the header I just had the PMAS cai, a tune, and no cats with the roush mufflers

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
That’s what I thought but whenever I got the car back there was no lights on. I also previously had no cats on the stock headers.
So you were already tuned for a cat delete, that makes a difference.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So you were already tuned for a cat delete, that makes a difference.
Yes, that’s why I think the car seems to like and run better than I thought with the long tubes

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
I’ve posted it a couple time. Lund Jr said it’s not needed in a video on Alex’s YouTube.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I’ve posted it a couple time. Lund Jr said it’s not needed in a video on Alex’s YouTube.
Thanks! My predicament was N Gauge and new tune or new tires... might need some meat to put my power down so I went with the tires.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Sheesh, i wish I could be just shy of 500whp with just these mods also the car seems to really like and run more well than I thought after installing them. Before I got the header I just had the PMAS cai, a tune, and no cats with the roush mufflers
You will NOT be just shy of 500 whp with those mods.

Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! My predicament was N Gauge and new tune or new tires... might need some meat to put my power down so I went with the tires.
Good move. My na 18 had serious traction problems on stock tires. Putting a better tire should have been the first thing I did

To really over simplify.. tuning for headers won’t add any hp. It’s a mechanical advantage. They have mentioned that they change some o2 relay stuff but the coyote Ecu makes the change in learning strategy stock. They won’t turn off rear o2 for legality reasons.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was true in the 90s. Had to do with the relay of temperature. I can flash the stock tune with catless longtubes and o2 spacer with no codes.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
This was true in the 90s. Had to do with the relay of temperature. I can flash the stock tune with catless longtubes and o2 spacer with no codes.
Same here. BigDaddies O2 spacers work like a champ
Sponsored