Sponsored

Better low end TQ, X pipe or H pipe

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
I was wondering if anyone has dyno proven results between X and H pipe showing the low and mid range TQ between the two? Also has anyone tried the Borla X-Pipe Resonator Delete 2-1/2" 60662 that crosses over from one side to the other? Thanks.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It would be a wash between the two. Choose your sound imo. Borla cool piece, but $$$.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I just recently tested this for the Steeda H-pipe. This is a stock 2018 GT M6 with active exhaust (set on track for all pulls). I saw some decent torque gains up to about 3800 rpm. Now just need for someone to do the same for an X-pipe.

full.jpg

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Btw, the res delete H-pipe really wakes up the active exhaust. Very happy with this mod.
Wow - what great timing! I just ordered the Steeda H that was on sale, and will be installing soon. This is great info - thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just recently tested this for the Steeda H-pipe. This is a stock 2018 GT M6 with active exhaust (set on track for all pulls). I saw some decent torque gains up to about 3800 rpm. Now just need for someone to do the same for an X-pipe.

full.jpg
Thanks Silver Bullitt, this is exactly what I was looking for. I had read that the H pipe did better for low end TQ but wanted some proof. The article I read stated that the H pipe gained low end TQ but lost high end HP, makes since, And visa versa for the X pipe, so it would be interesting to see what you did for a X pipe too. I would prefer a little more on the low end to help livin the fun factor of the car for daily driving. I will be coming from a SC C7 vette when my build is finished so low end is what I would like to increase mostly.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Thanks Silver Bullitt, this is exactly what I was looking for. I had read that the H pipe did better for low end TQ but wanted some proof. The article I read stated that the H pipe gained low end TQ but lost high end HP, makes since, And visa versa for the X pipe, so it would be interesting to see what you did for a X pipe too. I would prefer a little more on the low end to help livin the fun factor of the car for daily driving. I will be coming from a SC C7 vette when my build is finished so low end is what I would like to increase mostly.
I had a cammed LS2 in my '05 GTO and a stock LT1 in my '18 C7 GS. There was definitely more low end grunt with the pushrods, but they both seemed to run out of steam when the Coyote just keeps on howling. There is still plenty of low end with the Mustang, but I do find myself dailying it a little higher in the rpm's. I've always been a n/a guy, so can't really compare to anything f/i (although my leveled '13 F-150 3.5 w/ downpipes, exhaust, and tune is pretty darn quick - in the 13's on 33's). I just really enjoy 7500 rpm shifts and it just seems to pull all the way to redline.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I don't see how an H pipe could lose high rpm power versus the stock resonator. I can easily see why the X pipe might be a little better than the H at high rpm but it doesn't make sense to me that the stock resonator flows better or has better scavenging than an H pipe.

Sponsored
OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A flex tune is probably a for sure thing too Zinc03svt. I want to car to be fun to drive daily since it will be a DD. I moved to Hawaii and not many places to run my SC vette and its so expensive that I am also trying to save a couple hundred dollars a month on payments with the switch. Vette is awesome but man its a rolling house payment lol.

OP
OP

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see how an H pipe could lose high rpm power versus the stock resonator. I can easily see why the X pipe might be a little better than the H at high rpm but it doesn't make sense to me that the stock resonator flows better or has better scavenging than an H pipe.
Im not an expert on this for sure but here is a video I saw which drove to ask if this really does apply.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5DA02DBA02C3CA4231885DA02DBA02C3&&FORM=VDRVRV
I guess it boils down to scavenging velocity?

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The difference between the H-pipe and X-pipe is so small, that it shouldn’t even be apart of the decision making process.

There was an article many years ago where they tested 4 different x-pipe brands and 2 different h-pipe brands on a built fox body 5.0/302ci.

Between the H-Pipe and X-Pipe, there was at most a 4hp/torque advantage between the two throughout the powerband. With the 4 x-pipe brands, there was at most a 1-2hp/torque advantage throughout the powerband and the same held true for the 2 h-pipe brands. All the numbers fell in the margin of error.

In other words, pick the crossover pipe that sounds best to you and is the most affordable.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The difference between the H-pipe and X-pipe is so small, that it shouldn’t even be apart of the decision making process.

There was an article many years ago where they tested 4 different x-pipe brands and 2 different h-pipe brands on a built fox body 5.0/302ci.

Between the H-Pipe and X-Pipe, there was at most a 4hp/torque advantage between the two throughout the powerband. With the 4 x-pipe brands, there was at most a 1-2hp/torque advantage throughout the powerband and the same held true for the 2 h-pipe brands. All the numbers fell in the margin of error.

In other words, pick the crossover pipe that sounds best to you and is the most affordable.
I would agree that peak numbers are within the margin of error, but I would disagree that you won't necessarily see any benefits under the curve. I recently dynoed an H-pipe on an otherwise stock GT and saw gains up to 18 lb-ft under the curve (marginal if any peak differences). This was a same day same dyno test, and if anything, the post H-pipe pulls were at a higher DA and the car was probably a little more heat soaked. However, my main goal was a little more volume to the exhaust note and I prefer a deeper tone, both of which the H-pipe delivered on. The additional torque in the low to mid range was just an added benefit. It would be interesting to see the same test with an X-pipe just to compare.
Sponsored