torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I would like to hear from anyone who is willing to share his thoughts (who has done it) on upgrading from a regular (track pack) GT350 to a GT350R.

The car change bug has hit me again, and I can't think of anything better to upgrade to.. (short of my dream car F430 manual form.. which is for now out of my price range).
I would most likely upgrade to an R, but I find it a bit hard to swallow, especially due to my car being almost paid off, and I would need to get a small loan with a 4.x % rate now ( I had 1.74 on my GT350)
I love my car to bits, and I am not racing or anything like that, occasional track day where she performs beautifully... It's way more car than I am (or be in near future) as a driver.

...a couple of questions:
-how much stiffer is the R compared to the regular one, our roads are horrible
-how much more of a scrap is the front spoiler, it really feels like it would scrap more by the size of it ...

Many thanks for any input.
Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Get a 2020 GT500 !!!

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Get a 2020 GT500 !!!
Yes, been contemplating that a lot... but the lack of manual transmission really breaks the deal (and most likely high ADM, wait till you hear the pricing)

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Hi,

-how much more of a scrap is the front spoiler, it really feels like it would scrap more by the size of it ...

I can only speak on these questions as an R owner.

Stiffness isn’t a huge issue. MagneRide suspension works great on soaking up the bumps.

The ride height is lower and the front splitter will scrape. I plan out my routes, avoiding big dips and speed bumps, but you will scrape. Some take off the front splitter when driving around on the road.

Tram-lining is more prevalent. Two hands on the wheel most times.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Having made the swap from a GT350 to an R I can tell you the car is much different, and much better. Definitely the way to go.

What you really have to weigh is the financial situation. Do the dollars make sense to make the move? When I did it, the move made total financial sense. I didn’t have much loss other than normal depreciation, but I got my commensurate amount of enjoyment during that time. If you end up taking a dump financially, then it may not be a good move.

Will a set of lightweight wheels, Aero, DSC controller, Springs, and sway bars get you closer to what you want? Most definitely. Will it cost less long term? Probably. Will you still have for that itch for the R every time you see one? Only you know that.

Put it down on paper. Tally up the cost of the parts needed to get you R performance, then the cost to switch over. If it’s within 5-7k after labor/taxes then I say do it. If it is more than that, then fuck it and do it anyway.

You only live once.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I haven't done this, but I have thought about as I am getting an itch to switch cars also and am in a similar situation as you. Car would have been paid off but a deal came about for a family SUV and ended up paying cash for that instead of paying off the GT350 loan(also at a low 2% rate, which I couldn't replicate for the SUV, hence buying in cash). I also have the urge to get in a ND.2 Miata club trim. In the end, it's either pay Miata money to upgrade to an R(which I would swap out the CF wheels with the forged wheels I have on my current GT350 anyways), or just add the ND.2 to the stable and keep my current car. I also don't even come close to the limits of the base GT350 let alone an R.

At the end of the day, I'll realistically do neither because the GT350 I have now is all I ever want or need.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Why don't you just add the components of the R that you like? So far it sounds like you want the R front splitter? You want to switch to the R springs? That's do-able too.... p.s. you could even get the magnaride suspension settings from the R if you really wanted it too. Just got to tip the tech a 20 under the house and you'll have a flashed ecu with the R settings. <- only recommended if you got every single component including the wheels.

Take away of the story is, you got a GT350 that's almost paid off or already paid off... front splitter is a 1K expense, the carbon wheels are 8-9K expense, the R wing OEM is a 10K expense or 1K if you go with Anderson Composites. Springs are another 1K. I think just upgrading those components is really the best idea.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
the R wing OEM is a 10K expense or 1K if you go with Anderson Composites.
I’ve been parked next to someone who has that wing, and they are very different in contours of the airfoil and even width of the wing. So it’s not a replica. You’re better off getting Ford’s new Swing if you want downforce.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Im still waiting on my car. I had a 16 Tech pack that I converted. I was set to use it for track. Of course, after I completed th transformation, I was offered and R. I took it i a heart beat. Practically, It probably made no sense. But whats practical about a 350?

Reactions: TDC

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I’ve been parked next to someone who has that wing, and they are very different in contours of the airfoil and even width of the wing. So it’s not a replica. You’re better off getting Ford’s new Swing if you want downforce.
My apologies, if I made it sound like it was 100% a replica. It's surely not, however, it can still handle 150+ mph speeds and several track rats are running it on the forum. However, I would add I found the width and angle of attack identical. The only difference was the contours of the supporting brace to be different, I'm referring to the mounting area. Anyhow, I don't see how spending 55K and getting into another 55K+ note is a great idea. He could spend 20K for all the OEM parts and be set. That's what I'm trying to point out. In fact, if my memory serves me right, Ford will actually give you the ECU update at no cost if you get every single R component so that the magnaride can be calibrated correctly.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hi,

I would like to hear from anyone who is willing to share his thoughts (who has done it) on upgrading from a regular (track pack) GT350 to a GT350R.

The car change bug has hit me again, and I can't think of anything better to upgrade to.. (short of my dream car F430 manual form.. which is for now out of my price range).
I would most likely upgrade to an R, but I find it a bit hard to swallow, especially due to my car being almost paid off, and I would need to get a small loan with a 4.x % rate now ( I had 1.74 on my GT350)
I love my car to bits, and I am not racing or anything like that, occasional track day where she performs beautifully... It's way more car than I am (or be in near future) as a driver.

Not a R but R size tires and front splitter. The R front splitter does not extend any further forward than the regular GT350. The difference is on the edges so it does not scrap that much more for me. For example anything you approach head on there is no difference, the difference are things you approach at an angle.

I debated the same swap but I am still not sure I can get a R with out ADM and ford has increased the price of it over the years. I have 2 months to till my warranty expires.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Buy a slightly-used R model. Any year. Get it for below MSRP. Put on Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4s tires. They don't hook-up like the Cup 2s, but have zero tramlining. I traded my '16 Tech Pack for a '16 R. Never looked back or had buyer's remorse. The R is a blast to drive and is extremely rare.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would. I did. I have no regrets. If money is a concern, have a look in our classifieds. You can find R's with very low miles at a bargain IMHO.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. I don't think buying components and make the car R alike is a way forward for me... I don't *need* and R, but I want one. I don't need the performance add it brings, I just want one, not sure how to explain it. I would never upgrade to an R, because it does not make it an R in the end...

Problem is, this car is so good, the only thing I can think a worthwhile upgrade would be an R.. (or the Ferrari, which I cannot afford for a few years until my son gets out of college).
The other problem is that my car is perfect, does not use oil, never had any issues. I am concerned getting a second hand R with all this oil consumption and engine replacements paraphernalia... but thinking of this, it seems that very few reports are from 16 generation cars, or R cars, am I right ? Mostly reported on 17 GT350's .
Sponsored