Sponsored

E85 Feels like Stalling when coming to a stop to quickly

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I do kind of wonder if some of the e85 I may have used may have clogged an injector or somehow damaged a pump, but Ive used e85 ethanol treatment/cleaner and that did not help. And the car runs great at speed. I think it must be sensor related since its only at idle and my light for the o2 sensor did come on but after replacement the problem was not fixed, so I am pretty confused. I have emailed that log to my tuner and pointed out the time of the choppiness, and had done that months ago as well but nothing changed.

Ill let you guys know if he changes anything again this time and it works.
I know the f150’s supposedly have fuel system, injectors, and factory tuning that supports flex to e85. Just find it weird that only a handful of peeps are having basically the same unresolved issue. Even dealerships not finding solution?
Sponsored

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
WTF good does asking my tuner on a problem that occurs/happens on stock tune? At dealership 2 weeks under Ford diagnosis/ testing with new cam phasers. If you actually read the thread you would know... Thanks. ;).
Unlikely to be fixed, just like your attitude problem. lol

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I know the f150’s supposedly have fuel system, injectors, and factory tuning that supports flex to e85. Just find it weird that only a handful of peeps are having basically the same unresolved issue. Even dealerships not finding solution?
They replaced the o2 sensor when the light came on but the issue didnt go away and the light hasnt come back on. and its been almost 3000 miles. So yea I am stuck.

I asked my dealer and they said they could look at it but if there was no code there is probably nothing they could do.

I think someone should switch to 93 and if its still going rough then try replacing all o2 sensors with aftermarket sensors and see if that solves the problem. If that doesnt work then try replacing the spark plugs. If that doesnt work then I have no idea.. probably should get get a new fuel system and a stage 2 whipple lol.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
They replaced the o2 sensor when the light came on but the issue didnt go away and the light hasnt come back on. and its been almost 3000 miles. So yea I am stuck.

I asked my dealer and they said they could look at it but if there was no code there is probably nothing they could do.

I think someone should switch to 93 and if its still going rough then try replacing all o2 sensors with aftermarket sensors and see if that solves the problem. If that doesnt work then try replacing the spark plugs. If that doesnt work then I have no idea.. probably should get get a new fuel system and a stage 2 whipple lol.
Another thing you might do to help the stalling is have you tuner bump up the idle to 750 rpms. This appears to be working for me. Occasional slight dip down to 550 rpms is all I’m getting now. I can live with that. Fyi.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you used any ethanol treatments? Ive used a decent amount of lucas ethanol treatment and that doesnt seem to help this issue. I kind of think I will get another o2 sensor light soon, it seems to be getting a bit worse for me recently and going rough a bit more often than a while ago.

Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Have you used any ethanol treatments? Ive used a decent amount of lucas ethanol treatment and that doesnt seem to help this issue. I kind of think I will get another o2 sensor light soon, it seems to be getting a bit worse for me recently and going rough a bit more often than a while ago.
Your E85 tune is not right.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your E85 tune is not right.
It was happening on the stock tune on 93 octane so that is not true, I think a sensor is dieing. My e85 tune runs great at WOT and everywhere except randomly it goes rough for a few seconds at idle.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
It was happening on the stock tune on 93 octane so that is not true, I think a sensor is dieing. My e85 tune runs great at WOT and everywhere except randomly it goes rough for a few seconds at idle.
Ok, I was just pointing out a correct tune should be perfect from idle to WOT with no issues. Hopefully it will get figured out.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
To be honest my problems seemed to start once I used the Ethanol Safe product. Used maybe 2 bottles total. Thought it would be pretty stupid for the “Ethanol” product to cause idle problems. But, anything is possible. Have not used it since Feb. I’m not planning on using any more E fuel additives at this point. Car has ran great all weekend.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I do kind of wonder if some of the e85 I may have used may have clogged an injector or somehow damaged a pump, but Ive used e85 ethanol treatment/cleaner and that did not help. And the car runs great at speed. I think it must be sensor related since its only at idle and my light for the o2 sensor did come on but after replacement the problem was not fixed, so I am pretty confused. I have emailed that log to my tuner and pointed out the time of the choppiness, and had done that months ago as well but nothing changed.

Ill let you guys know if he changes anything again this time and it works.
Ethanol is more of a solvent than gas, so it wouldn't likely clog an injector. The only issue E85 has, is due to the corrosion inhibitors used. They tend to cause deposits, but this would be external of the injector and you would need thousands of miles to get to the point of stopping inj flow. The pumps would also need thousands of miles before the E85 caused any damage.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Detergents won't fix stalling.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

I drove my car this morning and watched the CANBUS Voltage , My car started stalling as I stopped at a red light and the voltage dropped to 12.6vdc and fluctuated till I gave it some gas.

Looks like it's a failing alternator.

12-6vdc.JPG

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I drove my car this morning and watched the CANBUS Voltage , My car started stalling as I stopped at a red light and the voltage dropped to 12.6vdc and fluctuated till I gave it some gas.

Looks like it's a failing alternator.

12-6vdc.JPG
Mine did same thing and dealer said the voltage normal and battery/alternator checked out ok? Fyi.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Mine did same thing and dealer said the voltage normal and battery/alternator checked out ok? Fyi.

The voltage on mine stayed at 12.6 for about 30seconds so something is failing on mine, I checked fluid in the battery and the cells all have good levels of acid in them.

I have no doubt the shop checked it and said they found nothing wrong, These young guys just out of Tech school these days just don't know, or are taught how to think outside the box. If their test equipment can't tell them what's wrong, they just can't figure it out by themselves.

I ordered an alternator hopefully it'll be here this week and I can install it next weekend.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I just started using the ethanol treatment from lucas, seems car starts up much snappier...
Sponsored