Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT A10 Whipple Stage 2 Engine Rod bent

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Nevermind the fact these cars have had forged sinster rods since 2015 and they where used in the boss 302. I’ve seen guys crack the cylinder bore before a rod let go. They don’t just bend from like that. If it was a bad rod it will break and throw a hole in the block.
Yep that is exactly what I’ve read too regarding the sinter forged rods.
Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Yep that is exactly what I’ve read too regarding the sinter forged rods.
1) either the OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about
Or
2) he bent a rod and more than likely was the result of a bad tune or some other hardware failure.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It’s not like the supercharger manufactures don’t warn you that their kits and tunes are too powerful for a stock engine. LOL.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Car made 630ish on 93 octane to the wheels. I was advised to update the OPG's, which I did. The teardown showed nothing wrong with the tune (Whipple can tune). Yes, you can run your car with the stock rods/pistons but it's a ticking timebomb, in my opinion. I've ordered a forged short-block and hope to have the car back up and running in a few weeks.

Also, it's advised to get away from the Whipple can tunes. Much of the information is locked and can only be viewed by Whipple. Spend the extra money and go with a custom tune.
Were you running an octane booster or anything or just relying on the 93 from the pump being good enough?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
If it was detonation I would expect to see holes in the piston tops or melting.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Seen too many people make 800+ without problems. We need more info

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
maybe its LSPI. Or you got coolant into a cylinder. Supposedly the 2015+ have forged rods.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I feel bad for ya OP but from my observations your case is the exception and not the rule. good luck with your new setup

Sponsored

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
So much misinformation in this thread it's crazy.

The rods in the 15-19 motors are the same forged rods found in the Boss 302 and are the strongest rods Ford has ever put in a mustang other than the Terminator Cobra. They are tough as nails. To bend or break one under 900whp, you either have a fueling issue, spark issue, or tune up issue.

Often times, the piston is failing first (usually a ring land from factory ring gaps set too tight), causing extreme scoring on the cylinder bore creating massive pressure on the rod making it fail (bend or break).

To make them live... DONT run that damn Whipple tune on pump gasoline. Spend the money on a fuel system that will support E85 and have a reputable tuner flash the car (Lund, AED, PBD, etc etc).

My car makes 913 whp and has for almost a year and 3k miles. I'll likely have to put a trans in it before a motor.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Is there a sticky on ring gap risk and break in for FI? This comes up repeatedly.
Link to previous thoughts.

If you dont open the stock ring gaps on a low mileage new motor before FI, expect to bind the piston in cylinder and trash: rings, cylinder wall, ring lands, piston, wrist pin / piston interfaces, rod.
Possibly in that order.

Alternatively, run the motor at high rpm extensively while slowly increasing the peak head temp over each session. Running 8-20 track days (5x20min sessions /day) progressively harder might work. Dunno, self clearance might be a pipe dream.

This must really suck for those that baby the car and go FI on a <10k mile motor and then tear up one of the hotter cylinders. Then others that drive it like stolen for 2 yrs then go FI have no problem.

Last edited:

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
So much misinformation in this thread it's crazy.

The rods in the 15-19 motors are the same forged rods found in the Boss 302 and are the strongest rods Ford has ever put in a mustang other than the Terminator Cobra. They are tough as nails. To bend or break one under 900whp, you either have a fueling issue, spark issue, or tune up issue.

Often times, the piston is failing first (usually a ring land from factory ring gaps set too tight), causing extreme scoring on the cylinder bore creating massive pressure on the rod making it fail (bend or break).

To make them live... DONT run that damn Whipple tune on pump gasoline. Spend the money on a fuel system that will support E85 and have a reputable tuner flash the car (Lund, AED, PBD, etc etc).

My car makes 913 whp and has for almost a year and 3k miles. I'll likely have to put a trans in it before a motor.
I'm not going to blame to Whipple tune for the failure. I've got almost 14K on mine with around 7,500 miles with the Whipple on the Whipple tune with the 3.75 pulley and have had no issues. I haven't been babying the car. I do run boostane with every tank though for a little insurance against a bad tank of gas. Car is in the mid 700 range at the wheels.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Geesh, guys ever hear of manufacturing variance? Its quite possible everything was exactly as OP stated. Just because your engine didnt blow doesnt mean anything to the OP.

Its great to double check the likely suspects but some are outright calling bs with no first hand evidence.
Sponsored