2018 Mustang GT A10 Whipple Stage 2 Engine Rod bent

roblilly33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 Whipple Stage 2
Warning to all who want to install at Whipple Stage 2 into their non-forged rod/piston S550!!! At only 6k miles my engine failed. Analysis at teardown: Bent rod, friction on the piston sleeve, sleeve failure at the weak part of the block, block failure at the water jacket. Long story short: Don't go Stage 2 without all forged internals. The crank is forged but the pistons and rods are not. If this was explained to me by the dealer at the Point of Sale I would have definitely had engine pulled and upgraded.
Sponsored

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
What power did you make? Boost? Tune? Definitely need more information.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Would definitely need more info than that as I ran a Whipple Stage 2 3.625" on 93 for a year (9-10k miles) and then another year on E85 with a 3.50" for at least 6-7k more miles. Stock engine and transmission.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Warning to all who want to install at Whipple Stage 2 into their non-forged rod/piston S550!!! At only 6k miles my engine failed. Analysis at teardown: Bent rod, friction on the piston sleeve, sleeve failure at the weak part of the block, block failure at the water jacket. Long story short: Don't go Stage 2 without all forged internals. The crank is forged but the pistons and rods are not. If this was explained to me by the dealer at the Point of Sale I would have definitely had engine pulled and upgraded.
Please "Pay Attention" to this!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you're going to SC your car, the liability in every aspect of it lies 100% with you.

Did you specifically ask the sales person if the rods were forged? Did you ask that specific question?

Lots of people have Whippled their 2018 GT, and not had any problems. I'd suspect the tune as the cause of the damage to your engine, first and foremost. Sounds like severe detonation to me, but I'm just guessing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

roblilly33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 Whipple Stage 2
If you're going to SC your car, the liability in every aspect of it lies 100% with you.

Did you specifically ask the sales person if the rods were forged? Did you ask that specific question?

Lots of people have Whippled their 2018 GT, and not had any problems. I'd suspect the tune as the cause of the damage to your engine, first and foremost. Sounds like severe detonation to me, but I'm just guessing.
Car made 630ish on 93 octane to the wheels. I was advised to update the OPG's, which I did. The teardown showed nothing wrong with the tune (Whipple can tune). Yes, you can run your car with the stock rods/pistons but it's a ticking timebomb, in my opinion. I've ordered a forged short-block and hope to have the car back up and running in a few weeks.

Also, it's advised to get away from the Whipple can tunes. Much of the information is locked and can only be viewed by Whipple. Spend the extra money and go with a custom tune.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
This sucks to hear. A guy on Youtube had his engine let go with a Whipple and it turned out to be a bad tune.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Car made 630ish on 93 octane to the wheels. I was advised to update the OPG's, which I did. The teardown showed nothing wrong with the tune (Whipple can tune). Yes, you can run your car with the stock rods/pistons but it's a ticking timebomb, in my opinion. I've ordered a forged short-block and hope to have the car back up and running in a few weeks.

Also, it's advised to get away from the Whipple can tunes. Much of the information is locked and can only be viewed by Whipple. Spend the extra money and go with a custom tune.
What are the details for the new engine you ordered? Specifications? Who are you getting from?

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT

I completely agree here, you’re doubling the HP and you’re surprised when shit went boom. Shit happens, but that’s entirely on the OP. It’s no different than when people build a saltwater tank and don’t cycle the damn thing then wonder why there tang died

Sponsored

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP

Exactly. You takes yous chances when you add 300HP to a stock motor.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Exactly. You takes yous chances when you add 300HP to a stock motor.
What gets me about threads like this is

“It’s ford fault or why didn’t it hold up” oh it sucks to lose an engine but damn. Show us some logs and then go hey it was a bad rod

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
What gets me about threads like this is

“It’s ford fault or why didn’t it hold up” oh it sucks to lose an engine but damn. Show us some logs and then go hey it was a bad rod
Yep. Horsepower isn’t cheap. Always account for an extra 10k after the SC install for a new built motor should things go south.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Nevermind the fact these cars have had forged sinster rods since 2015 and they where used in the boss 302. I’ve seen guys crack the cylinder bore before a rod let go. They don’t just bend like that. If it was a bad rod it will break and throw a hole in the block.