Sponsored

Fluid Leak / Smoke drive side (Track Day)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have for the last 2 track days been getting smoking from some fluid burning of on the exhaust on the drive side.

I see fluid on the steering knuckle and under the brake fluid reservoir. I see also fluid on the belly pan and on the finder liner of the drive side wheel. The car does not leak and idle or under regular driving but on the track I get intermittent bursts of smoke after braking(or maybe after long high rpm pulls).

There is no fluid anywhere else, oil filter and oil pressure sensor look clean.

My transmission was replaced last year by the dealer. Fluid levels (brake and oil) look normal but I do not think it would take much to make smoke if I dripped on the exhaust/cat.

My thoughts at this point is maybe brake fluid from a clutch (But I see no evidence of this) or a leaking valve cover.

I can not tell if its oil/transmission fluid/or brake

Any one experience this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Check the line from the brake master. The one going to the clutch.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Take a clean paper towel and wipe the area under the sensor covered by the heat insulation. Only takes a little to make a mess!

Sponsored

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Take a clean paper towel and wipe the area under the sensor covered by the heat insulation. Only takes a little to make a mess!
there is no wetness there. It starts under the brake fluid tank. I think it's the valve cover. I made an appointment with the dealer.

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
Check and see if the oil dipstick is popping out. If it is then that is the source of the oil blowing out of the dipstick tube on the drivers side, makes a real mess. It’s caused by the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System not working properly. Check your catchcans and empty if full. Next clean the screens in the catchcans. The passengers side valve cover has the pcv valve (may be faulty) in it that recirculates the gases from the engine directly into the intake. It’s closed at idle because of the high vacuum and opens up as the vacuum drops at higher engine rpm. The drivers side has an open port fitting in the valve cover that pulls filtered air from the air filter directly after the MAF sensor and injects it into the engine to capture the contaminates that are in vapor form in the crankcase and move them through the passengers side pcv valve. There are a number of articles on this subject. https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-do-a-PCV-valve-test Hope this helps.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Where is the transmission vent on the GT350?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hmm that is almost the exact place I see fluid....... Thanks I was about to PM you.

Can it be overfilled?
Could be, but I'd be surprised. I fill mine all the way till it leaks out and I haven't noticed anything successive coming from it.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Could be, but I'd be surprised. I fill mine all the way till it leaks out and I haven't noticed anything successive coming from it.
My issue started with a transmission swap. I saw another post of a guys whose car (GT) leaked from the vent after autocross I am going to see if the cap is missing.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ok mine breather valve isn't connected to anything there is no hose on the bottom

It's also in a different location than yours.

Hmm assuming the hose is sitting on top of the tranny is there room to reach it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ok so I confirmed that was the source of the leak. Unfortunately it cost me like 2K in wasted track days -.-
Sponsored