Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
I made a list a while back in several of these BBQ Tick threads. Out of 52 members on the list, only two or three had actual short block replacements and one of them had the technicians actually tell them they could not find any out of spec parts. Rod bearings, crank journals, cylinder walls, pistons and rings were all fine and show no abnormal signs of wear. However they did NOT check or report back on the big end side to side clearance.

The reality is most of these cars with the BBQ have no abnormal operation. They make full power, no metal shavings in the pan, UOI's come back completely normal, no CEL's, no abnormal oil consumption...they just tick at low RPM. Certak, Archoil and TriboTEX all seem to lessen and in many cases eliminate the noise while also reducing friction losses and wear rates in the engine. There are a few cases where extremely pronounced ticking was an indication of an actual problem, but it varies. I've seen one or two that were spun bearings and yet others that were cylinders that were out of round.

The intensity, frequency and occurrence of the sound varies from engine to engine, oil to oil and how sensitive the owner is to such noises. It's not much different than the 6.2L SOHC V8 or the 6.7L Turbo Diesel type writer tick or the GM Duramax tick. I've even found some videos now of LT1's with an interesting tick or light knock:

That bottom end tap / tick sounds just like mine on 5W-20, it's much quieter now on 5W-30. Its' always sounded that way since I bought it with 5,600 miles on it. The best diagnosis of an actual issue is going to be drive ability issues, CEL and other signs like poor UOA's, shavings in the pan, excessive oil consumption etc. Remember these aluminum block performance engines are NOT like the old iron block units of yesteryear. Cylinder rattle, mild ticking etc. are all noises that are common and part of normal operation, especially as they wear in. Chevy has had issues for years with some of their LS engines having cylinder rattle when cold because of the required clearances to allow for block expansion over cast iron. Most 4 cylinder and V6's in your typical passenger sedans don't see nor are designed for the higher RPM, higher power and much higher thermal loads, so they can run slightly tighter clearances to reduce noise.

Many people simply don't notice them either, so what we think is abnormal may in fact be more common than one might think. My wife didn't notice my BBQ tick until I actually pointed it out to her and did a specific test to prove it (windows down, air / radio off, start from stop next to a sound barrier, sure enough tick tick...tick tick tick), only then could she distinguish it from other normal noises, but would have never known if it weren't for me pointing it out because I'm super sensitive to things like that.
Sponsored

chaospiece

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 Guard
The LT1 tick is quite different. We have pushrods dictating valve lift through rockers and springs. Quite a bit more indirect than the dohc coyote. A lot more noise is generated from pushrod direct injection.

Direct injection is a noisy thing. All cars with it sound like a typewriter to me. The difference and the real worry is if it's directly related to the piston slap, which is real damage to the liners.

Maybe piston slap won't damage a block once in a while, it happens at cold start up sometimes. But repeatedly under load? That's the real question that shouldn't be dismissed. After all, it's not like you guys paid all that money for an engine that's slowly chipping away its cylinder walls at a more intense magnitude than the LT1 or hemi.

Forget the pushrods, the gen 2 coyote didn't have this problem, why is it acceptable now?
That part I don't understand.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Heck, my 2011 300C had the “Hemi tick”. It ran great, especially with my custom “no nannies” tune. Sold it with 82K on it and it still pulled strong. Hemi tick is a normal operating condition. :)

That said, my 2015 GT vert is quite. I guess if it really worried a prospective buyer they could just lease a GT and get a new one every three years.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the pushrods, the gen 2 coyote didn't have this problem, why is it acceptable now?
That part I don't understand.
Except it does, just like every coyote ever made. They all tick. it's not piston slap, its just a tick. And your implication that pushrod engines tick because they have more moving parts? Absolutely ridiculous

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Gee, with a sticky this full of information, I wonder if Ford suspects we're using Ceratec in our engines? :angel:
They probably don't care because it keeps the engines quiet and people out of the dealer service departments.

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just thought I would post this. This guy has around 20k miles on the stock sealed long block. It has numerous passes at around 1100RWHP and runs mid 8's. He never blew the engine but upgraded it anyway in the quest for 7's. What the engine builder found was that 2 cylinders had a looser clearance and tolerance. That of course would explain his, mine and everyone elses engine tick while the engine is cold. This engine survived with the tick at 1100 RWHP. It does show that the issue is 100% the fault of Ford not building it correctly but also shows that the engine will live and still make great power. Made me feel better about my own tick since the Ford obviously isn't going to fix it cause they seem it normal.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Just thought I would post this. This guy has around 20k miles on the stock sealed long block. It has numerous passes at around 1100RWHP and runs mid 8's. He never blew the engine but upgraded it anyway in the quest for 7's. What the engine builder found was that 2 cylinders had a looser clearance and tolerance. That of course would explain his, mine and everyone elses engine tick while the engine is cold. This engine survived with the tick at 1100 RWHP. It does show that the issue is 100% the fault of Ford not building it correctly but also shows that the engine will live and still make great power. Made me feel better about my own tick since the Ford obviously isn't going to fix it cause they seem it normal.

Very clean engine, that's a lot of HP on a complete stock motor. Very impressive, well done Ford!

Note: My 2018 has around 160 1/4 miles passes - 30 passes with the Whipple (Cloes to 800 RWHP) My 2018 has been on E85 since 500 Miles - @ 4000 now.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
All the fuss over the bbq tick and rattle always makes me laugh. My 2012 GT made all kinds of noises including the bbq tick all the way through the day I traded it in with over 160k miles on the clock and never gave me a problem. The MT-82 on the other hand...

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1
Interesting thread, can someone sticky the "fix" or list of them that people do to make it quieter or subside? I've seen and heard rumors of different things to do but not a concrete 100% fix. It seems like this issue is so different for every single engine.

If someone has already made this post, please link me.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Add me to the typewriter tick club. Took my '18 GT to Ford dealer for its second oil change today, at 11,000 miles. Immediately after had a pronounced tick that definitely wasn't there before. After a cursory look under the hood and finding nothing wrong, I went right back to the dealer and their tech diagnosed it as the typewriter tick and "a normal characteristic."

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Add me to the typewriter tick club. Took my '18 GT to Ford dealer for its second oil change today, at 11,000 miles. Immediately after had a pronounced tick that definitely wasn't there before. After a cursory look under the hood and finding nothing wrong, I went right back to the dealer and their tech diagnosed it as the typewriter tick and "a normal characteristic."
If it bothers you add 1 bottle of Ceratec and the tick will be gone.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This oil change, I gave it 10qts of QSUD 5w30, and decided to forego the Ceratec this time, and see what happens. Well, it immediately ticked loud as ever. What I have noticed, is as the mileage has racked up, now to 2,500mi in, the ticking is noticeably getting quieter, slowly over time. At the rate of ticking noise going away, I figure by the time I get around to changing the oil again at 5,000mi, I'll get a week or two of silence before I change the oil again. :crackup:

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has Ford (or anyone) definitively identified where the tick specifically comes from?

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have had a tick in my 2018 since day one (have had it exactly 2 years and 2 months), I find that it only starts to tick about 5 minutes after initial engine start, then once it hits full operating temp the tick is completely gone. I haven't noticed any loss of power nor any strange engine noises/or problems as of yet.
Sponsored