Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
But, does the BASE 2020 EB come with the new engine (330 HP) or the old one?
Another words, can I buy a base with 330 HP and not opt for HPP to save $5K?

Or is Ford selling two versions of EB, one with old engine and one packaged as HPP with the new engine?
2 versions of ecoboost. Base Ecoboost will be what's being sold now. Hi Po will be the tuned variant with the Focus RS version of the engine
Sponsored

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
2 versions of ecoboost. Base Ecoboost will be what's being sold now. Hi Po will be the tuned variant with the Focus RS version of the engine
I see, I was hoping all the new 2020 EB engines were the new one and then you opt for the HPP package on the top if you wish.
With additional $5K, I'm better off to get a base GT.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
You want to talk about pretty rare - try to find an EB+PP+MR. PP2 cars sit on lots for quite some time, no doubt because they are only discounted 5% (like it was some kind of Shelby) vs 10+ for the non-equipped PP and down-trim models.
Found it, it's in my garage

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For 35k I would take a fully loaded EB Hi-PO over a base GT any day unless I was going to use the GT as a dedicated track/drag car. It will be nearly as fast in a straight line and could be faster on certain tracks and without a doubt in my mind a better street/DD. Just my opinion of course but I think Ford is going to have success with it. I would still take my fully loaded PP2 over it, but for anyone with a cap of 35k it should be very enticing.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
PP2 being 'limited' is a laugh. At least in an official capacity as opposed to a side-effect of say Ford only ordering 40,000 MR shocks in a model year and thus can only build 10000 cars with them installed. The 350/R chews thru around 3000 of that which leaves 7000 EB/GT/Bullitt cars that can be built with that option.

You want to talk about pretty rare - try to find an EB+PP+MR. PP2 cars sit on lots for quite some time, no doubt because they are only discounted 5% (like it was some kind of Shelby) vs 10+ for the non-equipped PP and down-trim models.
I got my PP2 10+ off, but I can see certain dealers using one as a tactic to get you to pay more as they are extremely rare to be found on a dealer lot. Out of the 10 dealers I contacted when shopping around only 1 had sold one (special order) and at the time only 3 existed on dealer lots in the US..

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For 35k I would take a fully loaded EB Hi-PO over a base GT any day unless I was going to use the GT as a dedicated track/drag car. It will be nearly as fast in a straight line and could be faster on certain tracks
EB+101A+PP+6MT for 27.8OTR (26.2 for car including freight). The EB is a nimble car but the V8 will eat it's lunch everywhere unless the EB can maintain a serious advantage in corner speed - I rather doubt it. The EB engine runs out of spunk past 5 grand'ish whereas the V8 keeps hauling to red line. I've driven both a fair bit but we'll see if an Unleashed tune can help even up the playing field a little bit. Debating which car gets the Steeda adjustables with dual-rates, and which gets the Bilstein PSS16.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Ecoboost would probably do really well in an autocross situation, where the lighter front end will help with cornering, and you aren't dealing with long straights, so acceleration will not play as much of a factor. On a road course, the GT would demolish the Ecoboost.

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
This new performance package is a WINNER for the Blue Oval. It will sell, for those that want lots of power & torque but can not get into a GT.:flag:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
EB+101A+PP+6MT for 27.8OTR (26.2 for car including freight). The EB is a nimble car but the V8 will eat it's lunch everywhere unless the EB can maintain a serious advantage in corner speed - I rather doubt it. The EB engine runs out of spunk past 5 grand'ish whereas the V8 keeps hauling to red line. I've driven both a fair bit but we'll see if an Unleashed tune can help even up the playing field a little bit. Debating which car gets the Steeda adjustables with dual-rates, and which gets the Bilstein PSS16.
Remember the hipo package is a different engine so larger powerband, better cooling and more power. Also the handling pack adds pirellis Corsa tires I believe. Those should be significantly better than the all-seasons on the base GT. I still believe in an autox course it will beat a non pp auto GT.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
For 35k I would take a fully loaded EB Hi-PO over a base GT any day unless I was going to use the GT as a dedicated track/drag car. It will be nearly as fast in a straight line and could be faster on certain tracks and without a doubt in my mind a better street/DD. Just my opinion of course but I think Ford is going to have success with it. I would still take my fully loaded PP2 over it, but for anyone with a cap of 35k it should be very enticing.
But the issue is $35k WON'T get you a fully loaded EB Hi-Po, it'll get you a base Hi-Po. Compared to a Base GT which will 100% of the time beat it in a straight line and can have tires installed with the $1k savings to beat the EB in the corners, there's not much reason to buy the HiPo unless gas costs are REALLY important to you (overseas... and California)

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
But the issue is $35k WON'T get you a fully loaded EB Hi-Po, it'll get you a base Hi-Po. Compared to a Base GT which will 100% of the time beat it in a straight line and can have tires installed with the $1k savings to beat the EB in the corners, there's not much reason to buy the HiPo unless gas costs are REALLY important to you (overseas... and California)
What is missing and how do you know that just adding tires will make the difference in the corners (and where is the $1000 coming from)? You end up with a much nicer car inside and out. True, straight line and sound would be the compromise. I can say for me 1/4 mile times mean nothing as I will never do one in mine. Heck I have not done a 1/4 pull on a strip in 25 years and I really have no desire to do one again. On a short track the Hi-Po should be very fun. I really don't see this ending up badly for Ford, they are just using parts out of the bin. If they sell fairly well it's a win, if they sell just a few, not a problem. They can always tweak it for 2021. I would not go for one as I don't have a dollar cap, but if I did, no way would I want a base GT over the Hi-Po. Now my thought on this may change once they are released with full pricing and some lap times known.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is missing and how do you know that just adding tires will make the difference in the corners (and where is the $1000 coming from)? You end up with a much nicer car inside and out. True, straight line and sound would be the compromise. I can say for me 1/4 mile times mean nothing as I will never do one in mine. Heck I have not done a 1/4 pull on a strip in 25 years and I really have no desire to do one again. On a short track the Hi-Po should be very fun. I really don't see this ending up badly for Ford, they are just using parts out of the bin. If they sell fairly well it's a win, if they sell just a few, not a problem. They can always tweak it for 2021. I would not go for one as I don't have a dollar cap, but if I did, no way would I want a base GT over the Hi-Po. Now my thought on this may change once they are released with full pricing and some lap times known.
What is missing? Literally EVERY option except 101A. That's the ONLY thing that comes standard with the HPP HP, everything else needs added on

Tires are the primary contributor to how many lateral Gs a car can put down. The Pirelli P-zeros on the HP are decent, but they're FAR from the best. A GT with barely more weight, the same width tires, but MUCH stickier rubber will undoubtedly at least match the HP in handling, and any MINOR deficit it may have will be made up in the straightaways. The $1000 is coming from the price difference between the HP and the base GT. The car isn't "much nicer inside and out", its literally exactly the same with a bigger infotainment screen and a different grille. There's absolutely no reason to buy this car over a base GT unless you need a more fuel efficient car (in which case you should be buying a Fiesta, not a Mustang). Otherwise, the GT holds favor in just about any other metric.

Like I've said before, if Ford would've sweetened the pot with PP brembos, wider tires, stickier tires, maybe a bit of aero work, then this package would make sense. But as it stands, it's fairly pointless

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What is missing? Literally EVERY option except 101A. That's the ONLY thing that comes standard with the HPP HP, everything else needs added on

Tires are the primary contributor to how many lateral Gs a car can put down. The Pirelli P-zeros on the HP are decent, but they're FAR from the best. A GT with barely more weight, the same width tires, but MUCH stickier rubber will undoubtedly at least match the HP in handling, and any MINOR deficit it may have will be made up in the straightaways. The $1000 is coming from the price difference between the HP and the base GT. The car isn't "much nicer inside and out", its literally exactly the same with a bigger infotainment screen and a different grille. There's absolutely no reason to buy this car over a base GT unless you need a more fuel efficient car (in which case you should be buying a Fiesta, not a Mustang). Otherwise, the GT holds favor in just about any other metric.

Like I've said before, if Ford would've sweetened the pot with PP brembos, wider tires, stickier tires, maybe a bit of aero work, then this package would make sense. But as it stands, it's fairly pointless
Sheesh!! First off you seem salty for some reason (a lot of your posts suggest this) so I feel sorry for you, must be tough going through life like that. Secondly, are you saying the Hi-Po package costs about 9k? Just going on current pricing a base EB is about 26k so to get to 35k you add 9k for that package? Maybe I missed something in how you are figuring out the options of a Hi-Po EB vs a base GT. I also find it humorous that you KNOW that a base GT with "the best" tires will beat this Hi-Po in every way on every type of road course. When have you done your testing or are you just assuming?

My advice to you is to chill out and ignore any posts about Hi-Po Mustangs as your health may be in jeopardy.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
So you figure retail would be going from 29-32k for it. Cheaper than 37-50 for the GT's and still get practical everyday power and use avg. about 23-26mpg. I might had thought about trading up for it if it wasn't for the Kia Stinger.

You also have to figure it's a tuners dream car. You can likely get 360/420 out of it with just a mild tune with the pro tuners approaching 400 on pump gas.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I mean... It's still a Kia. The q60 makes over 400 stock
Sure - if you want to spend over 20 grand more for the same performance. The Red Sport is a heavy car, and a piggy back on a factory detuned 3.3TT is pretty substantial. I have no delusions though the ride quality is likely better and the features on the Red Sport.
Sponsored