2016 GT350 Track Pack

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’ve had two 911s, both 4S versions. Great cars but you can’t really carry anything and parts and labor are pricey, even at Indy shops....plus assholes like to vandalize them too. It’s best to have one if you got other vehicles, which you do. If I got another one it would be a GT3, that’s the car the 350 was benchmarked against. The 997.1 or 997.2 version. They hold their value too and in some cases go up. The 997 turbos are great too, and are going up in price. They are the last manual six speed versions. A good value is a GTS, wide body with power kit included.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 T4R TRD Pro, '16 VW GSW
I’ve definitely narrowed it down to the GT350 as far as the Mustang option. And preferably the R. The M2 is out, although I was intrigued by the possibility of doing a European Delivery. It’s just not special or exotic enough. Everyone drives BMWs around here, and it just blends in with the crowd.

As far as a Porsche, it would be a 2013-2015 S or GTS. I don’t have any interest in the newer (2016+) turbo variants (save for the Carrera T). Also not wanting to spend $100k plus for new. A Cayman 2015-16 GTS could also work.

Third, a new, lightly optioned Mercedes C63S coupe would also be a great option. It would also allow for a European delivery. And I could spec one for around $81k before Euro delivery discount, which would bring it close to GT350-R territory. More of a grand tourer, but comfy and a beast of an engine.

Finally, if I wait a little longer, prices will come down even more on the Merc AMG GT, which I consider to be the most gorgeous car built in the last decade or so. The engine sound and the car’d rawness also reminds me most (of all the Euros) of a GT350, but with a much nicer interior, as it should be for the MSRP.

Appreciate all the pointers and advice.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had two 911s, both 4S versions. Great cars but you can’t really carry anything and parts and labor are pricey, even at Indy shops....plus assholes like to vandalize them too. It’s best to have one if you got other vehicles, which you do. If I got another one it would be a GT3, that’s the car the 350 was benchmarked against. The 997.1 or 997.2 version. They hold their value too and in some cases go up. The 997 turbos are great too, and are going up in price. They are the last manual six speed versions. A good value is a GTS, wide body with power kit included.
Comparing the 997 S to the GT350, are there any things you miss from the 911? I mean, I imagine the Shelby’s positives are much better engine note, rarity, better usable cargo space. The 911 pluses are probably handling, steering feel, interior fit and finish, maybe dealership experience.

I’ll defer to your expertise as you’ve owned both. Appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
This is interesting reading. Having owned a number of old muscle cars, read that 60s and now on my 7th Mustang. And, in my mid 60s, interests change as you get older. I modded the 4 S 197s I owned. 2 with superchargers and those 2 also were modded for suspension purposes. I put a Vortech SC on the 2009 Bullitt and suspension mods. That car was just awesome. Only 488 rwhp, but with the P springs, Tokicos etc, it handled really good. Then the 2011 with similar suspension mods and a Roush SC. From there I had a 2015 GT auto with Steeda stuff.

When I bought this Bullitt I was sold on the magneride. Every suspension mod is a tradeoff in comfort. No matter what any vendor tells you. Just as a car seems to get slower as you drive it more, so firm suspension seems more squishy and louder and bumpier. Always looking for the perfect car. Hard to do it. I almost bought a PP2 car, then thought may as well get the GT350. But, every car I modded with "on rails" suspension got tiresome.

I wonder if that's why there are so many GT350s used? They are super cool and have great handling, but the Sport cup tires will get tiresome. Then what? change them out or be in a car that will really be difficult on potholed roads.

The Bullitt, in my opinion, and I'm an old guy, is just a great compromise car. It's is the first car I can't wait to drive every day since, what, the 1964 427 Galaxie I owned a lifetime ago.

If the Bullitt is too soft, just upgrade the suspension. Every one of the S550s I've seen have the same subframe, just different stuff bolted on to it.

And, the MT-82 is a great transmission. Ask my 2011 with the Roush blower that did dozens and dozens of runs at the dragstrip in heat with drag radials. Great transmission. Better in the Bullitt.

Again, just my opinion.

OP
OP
hasta_luego

hasta_luego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I’ve just never been into modding cars. I had a 2011 WRX which I kept bone stock; no retune, nothing. And pretty much everyone mods those things.

I’ve owned pretty much just European and Japanese cars my whole life. The Bullitt and the GT350 are the literally the first new American cars that have peaked my interest in pretty much my entire 39 years on this planet.

Now, I have always loved the original mid 1960’s Shelby’s and the ‘69 and ‘70 Boss 302’s, and the first Corvettes with white side panels, and the ‘63 Stingray split window my uncle owned (iconic mid century design). Past 1970, I’ve never been interested in American muscle or sports cars. Always would rather have a 911. That’s also what my dad had and I recall driving his red 911 to the prom and hitting it hard on the back roads.

Flash forward to current times, and the big three really have stepped up their game! I’ve driven a Camaro SS 1LE and that handled amazingly. Shockingly good!! And plenty of power! Interior quality is even pretty decent. But, the blind spots are terrible and I don’t care for the exterior design, at all. Plus, they are literally everywhere here in Michigan.

Drove an R/T Challenger as a rental. Great V8 sound but I hated everything else about it. And it felt like a pig. An absolute boat!

IMO, the Ford Mustang leads in exterior design, interior layout and quality. And the V8s just sound amazing! The Flat Plane Crank is a glorious sound, and the Bullitt isn’t far behind at all. I just had a dealer with both vehicles in their showroom and we revved them both, side-by-side. Dark Highland Green is an incredible paint color too! But I very much preferred the Tremec in the Shelby, so that seals the deal for me on the two.

If I’m being honest, the AMG GT is probably just a pipe dream. It will likely have extremely expensive repairs when the time comes. And, from everything that I’ve been reading up on in the last week or so, a Mercedes is not nearly as reliable as a Porsche, which is actually very reliable.

For the past 18 months or so, my wallpaper on my computer has been the below picture. It puts a smile on my face every time I boot up my Mac. And so, I think if I truly want to have an incredible, trackable sports car, it’s really gotta be a 2016 Cayman GT4 or a Shelby GT350 or R. I don’t think I’ll be happy with anything else. Both will give me that special feeling when I drive them — a true sense of occasion — both sound amazing, both handle well, and I don’t think I’d ever get tired of owning either one.

As a kid, I never would have thought that a Mustang would be running head-to-head with arguably the best handling Porsche ever made. My, have times changed!!
2EC7296C-8E92-47D9-92E7-20A1F475EC65.jpeg

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Comparing the 997 S to the GT350, are there any things you miss from the 911? I mean, I imagine the Shelby’s positives are much better engine note, rarity, better usable cargo space. The 911 pluses are probably handling, steering feel, interior fit and finish, maybe dealership experience.

I’ll defer to your expertise as you’ve owned both. Appreciate your thoughts.

I traded my 4S a 997.2, for the Shelby as I needed more space to get things for my 85 year old mom that can’t drive, she wadded her Spec R Legacy. The 911 was too hard for her to get in and out of, and had no space to carry groceries and things. The 350 sort of drives like a big Porsche, if that makes sense. Interior fit and finish was much better but runnings costs are higher. Each year the service was 650 dollars and every three years was about 1200, big service when plugs need changed and belt along with filters was about 3k. That’s dealer prices and Indy is cheaper but not a lot. It’s the labor costs as the parts do cost more, for some simple things....lots of other things have to come off and back on. The AOS as an example. The dealer experience is top notch though. People come in and drop cash on a 220k GR3 RS, so they better be nice to customers. Downside is cops always trailing you and WRX kids want to race. When I retire in a few months and get back in a house with my own garage I’ll get another one to keep the 350 company. I want a GTS4....with aero kit or a 997.1 GT3. Mods for 911 are really pricey too. Everyone should try one once in their car ownership life before they get too old or feeble to drive.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
GT350, 350R, PP2, and a PP1 with Ford Performance Magneride handling kit.
I was surprised how 'loose' the GT350 felt on backroad driving compared to a SS+1LE driven back to back. In fact the GT didn't feel all that much more composed than my GTPP. More refined and "professional", definitely. But considering the price tag, it's not near worth it.

If that's the best Ford can do with Magneride, then GM suspension engineers clearly spent more time to get it 'righter'. I definitely prefer the GTPP clutch feel but that's down to familiarity more than anything else. The GM Tremec and the GT350 Tremec are similar and I'd give the Ford one the edge but that could be down to 3000 miles vs 500 miles and the Ford one not having the very unhelpful forced 1->4 feature. The Magneride on the EB wasn't half bad but I'm no longer convinced it has to be an essential checkbox - but if you can get it and you'll be driving on the street, it's a good option unless you were planning all along to replace with Ford Performance or Steeda shocks. The stock stuff is just not up to scratch.

New PP2 cars with Ricaro can be had for 40-42k OTR depending on market. The Bullitt is not worth the premium IMO (some are still charging $$$ in ADM) unless you just gotta have the color and cachet, or the electronic doodads.

The previous generation (12-14) cars are definitely more visceral and for driving on the road gave me a much wider "hell yeah" grin. Saw an absolutely stunning '08 GT500 yesterday in "grabber" blue or a shade close to that. I about fainted.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
You have to get what feels the best to you. I have a 13 Boss and love the car but had the itch for something new. Went out and tried a A10 PP1 while quick it just felt ok to me, a car I wouldn't mind daily driving while nice not what I wanted. Next up a used 17 GT350 5700 miles. Thought that the car looked great felt a little slow in the early rpms compared to the Boss, sounded very good, didn't get a chance to wind her up to 8k on a test drive, if I was a track oriented guy I would have purchased but I couldn't justify the cost for my street use. Bullitt wouldn't be an option for me, reviews were not kind to the car and it appears no faster than a standard GT. The PP2 is interesting but why bother knowing you would go into limp mode after driving the car hard, slow 1/4 mile times as well.

Ultimately I decided to sit tight and enjoy the Boss, grabbed an AED tune, CAI, and will update to GT350 wheels/4S tires shortly.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You have to get what feels the best to you. I have a 13 Boss and love the car but had the itch for something new. Went out and tried a A10 PP1 while quick it just felt ok to me, a car I wouldn't mind daily driving while nice not what I wanted. Next up a used 17 GT350 5700 miles. Thought that the car looked great felt a little slow in the early rpms compared to the Boss, sounded very good, didn't get a chance to wind her up to 8k on a test drive, if I was a track oriented guy I would have purchased but I couldn't justify the cost for my street use. Bullitt wouldn't be an option for me, reviews were not kind to the car and it appears no faster than a standard GT. The PP2 is interesting but why bother knowing you would go into limp mode after driving the car hard, slow 1/4 mile times as well.

Ultimately I decided to sit tight and enjoy the Boss, grabbed an AED tune, CAI, and will update to GT350 wheels/4S tires shortly.
Mostly logical, but you decided against the GT350 because you won't use it on track, and then you decided against the PP2 because you're concerned it would get hot on track?

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Just get a base model lightweight gt manual. They even go as low as 26-27 grand on cars.com. Put 10-15 grand into NA modes including, cooling , total handling packages with wider wheels and tires, slotted brembo brakes. You can even find a shop to modify your differential housing to include fin extensions for better cooling. This way at least you will have one hack of a car.

If you go Bullitt and modify, you will lose tremendous amount of resale value, if you go pp2, you are still spending money to make it faster and the car is heavy with the factory equipment and wheels. If you go 350, you may still end up modifying the engine and lose tremendous amount of resale value. Building a lightweight base GT is the best bang for your buck. You can pick lighter wheels, drive shaft, rotors etc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO there's no need to mod any GT variant unless you are tracking and need more cooling for that.
Sponsored