Sponsored

Mustang vs 2020 Supra

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Makes you wonder if the press release of it being detuned compared to other BMW models was false.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I firmly believe that if you need to explain a joke, it stops being funny, but I'll do it anyway!

I was poking fun at how the numbers didn't match results with mk4s.

Er, yeah, I kind of got it, I was just 'splaing about the dyno queen label for the 4th gen, like that old bit, "How are a Civic and a 600HP Supra the same? They're both 14 second cars ..."

:D

I actually pedaled mine to very low 11s @ 135+, pretty mediocre 60', probably another few runs I could've gotten it into some very high 10's on street tires (I did eventually run 10s with DRs).

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
They did the dyno run in a 1.32:1 gear. They didn't use 1 to 1. That's why the numbers are so high.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The dyno graph was not peaky at all. Looks like an awesome engine to me. Other than the crappy sounds a 6 cylinder makes - pretty good.

Now if Toyota would just drop a manual in there, this car could live up to the Supra name.
I it wasn't a BMW and had a Toyota strait 6 in it then it would be a Supra

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
New supra is bad ass. A nice collab between two great manufacturers.
Not sure what the hate is about. Would sure kick an ecobeast.. to the curb.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Dude, that's what I'm saying. For years, people bitch and cry that the BRZ is too down on power, and now they have a car with double the torque and 140hp more, and they're bitching about something else. I bet all the assholes crying about it wouldn't even be buying the car anyways. At its worst, it's a rebadged Z4 for 18k less. I don't see how that's not a win either way.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem is that it's not a true Toyota Supra. It's like when Ford was going to replace the Mustang with the Mazda 626 and call it a Mustang. Don't get me wrong I really don't give a shit I would never buy a Toyota or a BMW.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Dude, that's what I'm saying. For years, people bitch and cry that the BRZ is too down on power, and now they have a car with double the torque and 140hp more, and they're bitching about something else. I bet all the assholes crying about it wouldn't even be buying the car anyways. At its worst, it's a rebadged Z4 for 18k less. I don't see how that's not a win either way.
I'm glad the Supra has come back. But in pictures, it looks terrible IMO. Maybe I'll think differently after seeing one in person.

Performance-wise, it sounds like a good car, though. I do think it's tainted slightly that it's guts and bones are BMWs. I realize Toyota
tuned the suspension and engine, but it's still tainted, IMO. I don't "hate" that fact, though.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I thought the base model was an inline 6 at the beginning?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It may look better in person. The Mustang looks like a completely different car in person - much better than in pics.

So that may be a thing here.

But the performance is just sad. This is the Supra. It was a Vette competitor. Now it’s a Kia competitor.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It may look better in person. The Mustang looks like a completely different car in person - much better than in pics.

So that may be a thing here.

But the performance is just sad. This is the Supra. It was a Vette competitor. Now it’s a Kia competitor.
With low 12s in the 1/4 and low 4s/high 3s to 60, I don't see any Kia competing with it. It's definitely no Corvette, you're right there, and it is priced similarly. I don't really see a Corvette buyer cross shopping the two.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the base model was an inline 6 at the beginning?
True when production started the base model did have a inline 6 it was the first Mustang styling exercise the two seater that had a European ford V4 and mid engine.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I'm glad the Supra has come back. But in pictures, it looks terrible IMO. Maybe I'll think differently after seeing one in person.

Performance-wise, it sounds like a good car, though. I do think it's tainted slightly that it's guts and bones are BMWs. I realize Toyota
tuned the suspension and engine, but it's still tainted, IMO. I don't "hate" that fact, though.
The worst part is it is basically a Z4 and most people don't even know that car exists in the first place :D

People will buy it for the name but I couldn't see spending over 50k for it when you can get something like a low mileage C7 for under that.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The Supra's stats appear underwhelming at least on paper, and the pictures leave me unimpressed... at the pricepoint I would expect it to have a more unique look but all I feel is "meh". The back looks too busy for one, like a ricer with a bad body kit, and I don't know what they were thinking with the front. I would not buy one of these.

Toyota should have done their own thing, they might have made another cult classic. This one though? I don't see it taking off.

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
I’m going to predict the Supra will sell like gangbusters and have a high resale value. Higher than our cars.

That car has the Toyota myth and Supra myth going for it. It will be a status car for several cultures.

Just like the Tacoma, tundra, and other t cars. It’s not rational or based on facts.
Sponsored