Sponsored

2018 MGW 2nd Gear Lockout

Dark knight s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp1 GT
While I don’t have an MGW or any aftermarket shifter I can confirm that my 18 locks me out of gear every so often as well. I do believe it has to do with the new clutch in the 18s because my 16 never locked me out once through 40k miles of hard driving with basic bolt ons. I plan on just getting a new clutch once I put this Paxton on because it’s really annoying to get locked out when driving with people and you look like a complete idiot bouncing off the limiter for a second
Sponsored

ia2004anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
After some more playing around with it I think my issue is the adjustment pin. If I allow it to slightly spring back towards 4th as I shift into 2nd I dont have an issue. I was even able to shift at 7k rpm from 1st to 2nd yesterday. Also downshifting above 30 mph worked just fine when I found the perfect hole.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After some more playing around with it I think my issue is the adjustment pin. If I allow it to slightly spring back towards 4th as I shift into 2nd I dont have an issue. I was even able to shift at 7k rpm from 1st to 2nd yesterday. Also downshifting above 30 mph worked just fine when I found the perfect hole.
Once you get that pin set right, it's great to shift.

Shifty50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Had the 1-2 and 2-3 lockout from the factory, installed mgw and still had it. Swapped to BG fluid still had it. Upgraded master slave line with the steeda kit and haven't had any issues since. The factory line is cut way too short and allows air in the line.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Did you re-adjust the pin or just change the way you shift?

I installed my MGW today and I get locked out of 2nd about 40% of the time.

Sponsored

ia2004anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2

Just changed the way I shift. Instead of full hand grasping the knob I use 3 fingers from the top and pull back. It goes right in. I have hit many 8k shift from 1st to 2nd

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
Just changed the way I shift. Instead of full hand grasping the knob I use 3 fingers from the top and pull back. It goes right in. I have hit many 8k shift from 1st to 2nd
Thank you.

I wonder if I'm not fully engaging the clutch? I just find it odd that this was never an issue with the stock shifter.

RaceRed_PP1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack 1
Vehicle Showcase

I just installed mine today and having the same issue .
Okay, ended being the adjustment. I had to go back in and re-adjust the pin, basically it was too short. Set perfect now and I couldn't be happier with this shifter,...
I just installed mine today and same issue. When you say it was set too short, just to make sure I’m understanding, the pin was allowing the shifter to move too far toward the driver’s side?

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It's your transmission, not your shifter. I would check the pin as well just incase, but most likely your transmission. I have a 18 and I'm on my 3rd transmission, and the car is back at the shop again for transmission problems. Gear Lock out, grinding noise in neutral, hissing noise, spitting gear out. These MT-82 D4s are a mess!!!

Sponsored

RaceRed_PP1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's your transmission, not your shifter. I would check the pin as well just incase, but most likely your transmission. I have a 18 and I'm on my 3rd transmission, and the car is back at the shop again for transmission problems. Gear Lock out, grinding noise in neutral, hissing noise, spitting gear out. These MT-82 D4s are a mess!!!
It was the pin thankfully. The ford dealership who installed it didn’t even adjust.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It was the pin thankfully. The ford dealership who installed it didn’t even adjust.
That’s good then! Do you have a hard time doing the 1-2 shift when launching? Is there a delay for you when shifting? Or is it a quick shift into second?

RaceRed_PP1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s good then! Do you have a hard time doing the 1-2 shift when launching? Is there a delay for you when shifting? Or is it a quick shift into second?
No it’s great now into second and third. I was getting locked out of third with the factory shifter .

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
No it’s great now into second and third. I was getting locked out of third with the factory shifter .
Dealer is replacing my clutch and flywheel since it was having so many issues. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

RaceRed_PP1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer is replacing my clutch and flywheel since it was having so many issues. I’ll see if that makes a difference.
Hopefully that does the trick.
Sponsored