Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
I'd keep the GT350 and use the money to buy extra tires and brake pads and hit up the local road course near you and go often. Use the GT350 for what its made for! It seems like a R would be a waste since you are not tracking your car now
You are right, I am not tracking my GT 350 now. I just purchased it in January and just actually started driving it in late April. April and may have been cold and wet up here. The other fact is we do not have many, matter of fact any actual road courses up here, except Loudon, New Hampshire, which as you know is a oval that Loudon occasionally turns into a road course, and that's very seldom. We do not have dedicated road courses up here like other parts of the country. That is one of the original reasons why I bought the GT 350, and not the R, because I knew it would primarily be a street car. But also did not think I would like the GT 350 this much.

On the other hand with the last few winters and springs we have gotten, where we go from winter right into summer, where it leaves you only 4-5 months of actually use, I am starting to wonder if its worth owning cars like this in the northeast. You pay for the car, register it for 12 months, pay taxes, and insure it for 12 months and only use it 4-5 months per year. Definitely a car for states like California , Arizona, Florida, texas, Nevada, and some of the southeast states. Northeast, not so much.
Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
You are right, I am not tracking my GT 350 now. I just purchased it in January and just actually started driving it in late April. April and may have been cold and wet up here. The other fact is we do not have many, matter of fact any actual road courses up here, except Loudon, New Hampshire, which as you know is a oval that Loudon occasionally turns into a road course, and that's very seldom. We do not have dedicated road courses up here like other parts of the country. That is one of the original reasons why I bought the GT 350, and not the R, because I knew it would primarily be a street car. But also did not think I would like the GT 350 this much.

On the other hand with the last few winters and springs we have gotten, where we go from winter right into summer, where it leaves you only 4-5 months of actually use, I am starting to wonder if its worth owning cars like this in the northeast. You pay for the car, register it for 12 months, pay taxes, and insure it for 12 months and only use it 4-5 months per year. Definitely a car for states like California , Arizona, Florida, texas, Nevada, and some of the southeast states. Northeast, not so much.
Then throw in 2 boys in diapers, then it really makes sense owning 2 of these cars.
You’ve got a lot into your car. Keep it and enjoy it.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Trade for the R. Decide on the 500 when/if they become available. When they stop making it after this year you’ll be glad. Want more power? Add a blower.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Buy one of each. Then the neighbors will really be jealous.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I don’t think they will allow many test drives of the GT500. I was allowed to test drive my 350 but only around the block or two. Then again if you show up in a 350 perhaps they will be more accommodating for test drives.

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I think that if I was in this situation, it would be hard for me to be ok with taking the depreciation hit on my current 350 to purchase the R. I’d love an R but I think taking the 10-15k hit on the current car, And also purchasing another new car that will also depreciate, is a hard pill to swallow. Say you get 40-45 out of the current 350 then you have to spend another 20-30 on top of that to get the R. Add it all up and that’s a good chunk of change to put toward the 500

FLETCshooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The answer is simple. If it is about money then that will make the decision for you. If it isn't, then put it out of your mind to see if it is a fad or a real desire. Stop researching the cars and work on something else. In a few weeks, if you can't stop thinking about it then buy it. If you don't like it you can always sell it and try something else. Point is, your not married to a car. So live a little. In the end they are just toys for us to enjoy. When you get older, regret is the one thing you don't want. And the biggest regrets are the roads less traveled. You can always buy another GT350. I think they will have made (including the R's) 20,000 GT350's by the end of 2019. This is one reason the prices are tanking. However, for me my new 2019 GT350 is the most fun car to drive, because of the engine and the interactive sound it makes. No other car (that I have owned) is as much fun. Yes, there will be faster cars, but that isn't why I bought it.

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 Focus RS, 2019 GT350R

What about Lime Rock and The Glen??? They can’t be more than a few hours away each? If you’re not tracking the car, then both the R and the GT500 would both be a waste.

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
If you keep your base GT350, I'd get the GT500 in addition to it. Don't see the point in having 2 of the same vehicle (R and base).

Not a fan of the GT500's lack of manual transmission and don't see buying one for that reason alone. My weekend fun and track cars are manuals. My daily drivers are typically automatics.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Fwiw I considered picking up a GT350 to daily and keep the R for the longhaul.. then I realized the depreciation difference makes a 2nd R make more sense (lookin at you @Tomster ).. then I realized I can just drive the crap out of my current R and find a low mileage garage queen later if I want one when this one falls apart.

All that to say - GT500? No.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Fwiw I considered picking up a GT350 to daily and keep the R for the longhaul.. then I realized the depreciation difference makes a 2nd R make more sense (lookin at you @Tomster ).. then I realized I can just drive the crap out of my current R and find a low mileage garage queen later if I want one when this one falls apart.

All that to say - GT500? No.
I see R's as special and two of the ones i have are rare. They probably won't appreciate to a significant value anytime soon, but they will someday (most especially the Rs). I'm holding fast to my plan of a large garage, 3Rs (unless someone buys the one for sale) and a 500. From there, I will continue to add to it over time.

The bottom line is do whatever you can afford and whatever makes you happy.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I think people are not considering at this stage the price where the GT500 will fall... it will be higher than expected, and then you have ADM on top. I say it will be just under 100k.

... and at that price range, and considering it's only automatic, I say no. I will most likely build a E36 M3 for a track car, as I think I have the bug, and buy a nice F430 for weekend and garage queen duties... but that's just me :)

Shelby Daniels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
18' GT350R + 15' Range Rover SC
The closest thing I could think of to a GT500 on the road today was an AMG GT-R, so I rented one for a week through Turo (Los Angeles). Yes, it was green which looks badass in person. Took it to work, to the beach and most importantly, took it through Angeles Crest.

The DCT was cool but it felt like getting a new computer. At first I was impressed with how quickly it managed things but like anything else, I got used to it. At that point it might as well have been any other automatic Ive ever driven.

The GT500 like everything else will continue to improve and we'll be looking back one day saying 'hey remember when we thought 0-60 in 3 seconds was fast' For that reason or until time slips get me laid, Im keeping my 350R - the last Manual, NA FPC V8 ever made.
Sponsored