Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
2018 EBPP A10 Premium, MR. 12,052 miles.

So this just happened - it was time to run some errands and fill up the tank, 33 miles to empty, so not bone dry. Since the car was light, I was going to go run a couple 0-60's before tanking up. Running in park in the garage, I set the drive mode to Drag, shift to reverse, and back down the driveway. When I put the car in Drive, I noticed the little wrench symbol on the dash, and a warning message. FordPass also showed a message with the same info:
47940593316_d9b9b2d93a_c.jpg
First Fault by clair_davis, on Flickr

I can't schedule an appointment until Wednesday at the earliest, so I went ahead and drove it easy through a carwash where I set the drive mode back to Normal, then to the gas station. After filling up with gas, the little wrench went away, and stayed off for the remainder of the outing.

At no point could I tell if there was actually reduced power. The car didn't make any strange noises or behave strangely. What I have noticed while in Drag mode is that the suspension and maybe the differential seem really tight. I don't think there is any way for the diff to tighten up, but MR could be doing something to the shock settings. I notice this mostly entering or leaving the driveway.

Without a scan tool, is there any way for me to retrieve the code/codes that were set tonight?

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Update on this... I bought an OBDLink MX+ scanner and OBD Fusion app to see what the heck is going on. The code is p27b6-00, “pressure control solenoid”, and Google finds a DTC for ‘18 F-150’s under that code. Not a lot of detail given in the description, but it sounds like a reflash is the repair. I’ll take it in on Monday for an answer.
4C7C4F36-5FF9-476A-9F50-58E550E42BB6.png
22EF441C-E617-4798-B8B3-A33FFBBE9385.png
CA1C9D61-C326-4B96-8666-7ABEE5C01945.png

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Update to the update:

On Monday I took the car in to the local dealer to have the code checked and do whatever magic they needed to do to get things cleared up. From my Honda dealership experience, I expected to spend a couple hours working remotely in the waiting room and then be on my way. Arrived at 8:00am and by 8:30 was able to get checked in. They said that it would be towards the end of the day before they could even get the code read, maybe early the next day. I told them that was unacceptable and had to get to work, so they suggested make an appointment for Tuesday AM and maybe they could get to it by the end of the day.

Went back Tuesday and dropped the car off. I asked them to also verify that the transmission fluid was at the right level, and they said that they couldn't do that because my appt was for engine controls not drivetrain. And besides, there wasn't a dipstick to even check the fluid level with anymore, everything was sealed at the factory. Not feeling good about this.

Got a call @ ~3PM - they were able to read the code (the same code I found above) and said that the problem could be a transmission speed sensor. They were going to have to send the car to another department, so they would need the car another day. Turns out that they now had a loaner car available, so at least I wasn't stranded now.

• Note on this - perhaps unrelated, but the speed showing on my Waze app is reading ~15-20% higher than what shows on the speedo. I would not assume that Waze gets any speed info from the car, but maybe it does as part of CarPlay. When I run the app in other vehicles (not plugged in), the speed shown matches the speedos exactly. Hmmm.

Wednesday got a call at 3:10PM from the drivetrain shop - they saw the error code pointing to transmission speed sensor, have not been able to recreate the error after resetting the PCM. They need to keep the car another day to see if it would come back. At this point they didn't know if they would have to replace anything.

Hopefully I get my car back tomorrow. This has been a long damn experience for nothing actually being done...

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
She's home with 48 more miles than I left her with, and a reset transmission controller. They claimed to not be able to find or recreate the error, so it's back to normal and keep an eye on things. I'll attach the invoice for the work so that if there's anything useful in there, maybe it will help somebody.
2019-06-13_Transmission_DTC-1of2.jpeg

swissmountain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hi guys!

I'm new here, just bought a 2020 GT with the 10 speed automatic (MT-82).
After only 500 miles, I have this error: "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and it now only runs in 7th gear! (1:1 gear)
It's been sitting at the dealer for a week and thy were not able to fix it yet...
Does anyone have experience with this and knows what the problem could be? I'm thankful for any input.

Cheers, Stefan

Sponsored

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Hi guys!

I'm new here, just bought a 2020 GT with the 10 speed automatic (MT-82).
After only 500 miles, I have this error: "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and it now only runs in 7th gear! (1:1 gear)
It's been sitting at the dealer for a week and thy were not able to fix it yet...
Does anyone have experience with this and knows what the problem could be? I'm thankful for any input.

Cheers, Stefan
Grüetzi, Stefan!

I hope this thread generates some help for you, but obviously the dealer did nothing for me here. FYI there is a larger thread on 10R80 issues here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ts-and-resolutions.135463/page-2#post-2841397

Hopefully something in there will be helpful, but if you don't see your specific issue it's probably best to add it there. Lots more traffic than this thread.

Hope all is well in CH - we are/were planning to visit in June/July, but it is looking more and more like those plans are out. Fingers crossed...

Good luck!

Clair

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
@TicTocTach did your issues ever come back? or has everything been good so far? i have been experiencing the same, only my obdlink software or torque do NOT show a code stored.. weird

Last edited:
OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
@TicTocTach did your issues ever come back? or has everything been good so far? i have been experiencing the same, only my obdlink software or torque do NOT show a code stored.. weird
Whatever the dealer did - or didn't - do, that specific problem hasn't come back. It still is a little lazy going from R to D first thing in the morning, but it doesn't do it later in the day. I'm going to call it just strange behavior, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again. Otherwise, it's been great and is still a blast to drive.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Whatever the dealer did - or didn't - do, that specific problem hasn't come back. It still is a little lazy going from R to D first thing in the morning, but it doesn't do it later in the day. I'm going to call it just strange behavior, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again. Otherwise, it's been great and is still a blast to drive.
i did end up finding the codes stored.. turns out its related to ABS module and the ecu not being able to communicate with it.. u0121-00, u0146-00, & u1012-00. not really related to your issue afterall..
either way i plan to call dealer in the morn for an appt to get the codes looked at, and maybe they can also reset the trans so it can relearn again. still a few weird shifts happening with it.

thanks for your reply!

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
i did end up finding the codes stored.. turns out its related to ABS module and the ecu not being able to communicate with it.. u0121-00, u0146-00, & u1012-00. not really related to your issue afterall..
either way i plan to call dealer in the morn for an appt to get the codes looked at, and maybe they can also reset the trans so it can relearn again. still a few weird shifts happening with it.

thanks for your reply!
No worries and good luck! It seems like a reset / reflash of the trans isn't a bad thing at all, but I'm not sure if they even did that with mine. May as well ask, since it's easy for them to do.
Sponsored